< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: New (Sort Of) SBR Project  (Read 2034 times)

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
New (Sort Of) SBR Project
« on: January 21, 2012, 08:30:30 PM »
I built this M92 Krink kit a few years back as a pistol to save a few bucks. I used the original UF trunion so that it could be easily converted if I decided to SBR it someday. I think it may be that day. So I need to get the paper work started. Somehow I dont think that I need to hold my breath on the wait time. It took quite awhile for my last stamp and that was several years ago.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: New (Sort Of) SBR Project
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 09:04:13 PM »
Sweet!  Did the Krinks ever come with a side folder stock?  I've always thought the triangle side folder looked like it would give a much better cheek weld.  You know, to wring out that last little bit of legendary SBR AK accuracy  ;D.

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 08:06:44 AM »
Sweet!  Did the Krinks ever come with a side folder stock?  I've always thought the triangle side folder looked like it would give a much better cheek weld.  You know, to wring out that last little bit of legendary SBR AK accuracy  ;D.
Nope, just the standard UF. This 7.62x39 M92 actually is pretty accurate even being butt stock challenged. I have seen a couple of them done with the Bulgy style side folder. Right now complete M92 kits with original barrels are going for $1300 to 1500 and finished rifles are totally out of sight. So I want to keep it stock just for value reasons. Always did think I would go ahead and SBR it. The pic is sixteen rounds off the bench at 100 yds.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 08:36:37 AM »
Nice looking gun there.

I have a Draco pistol that has the UF trunion too.  I was planning on eventually converting mine sometime in the future, until I held an underfolder WASR-10 last weekend.  When holding it in firing position, I noticed that I would have to use a "jaw weld" instead of a "cheek weld" in order to even see the rear sight as the stock seems to drop at quite an angle away from the rear of the receiver.  Since this was a Century-built gun, I'm not sure if this is just a case of one of their legendary messed up "monkey-built" guns, or if all underfolders are like this. 

Not trying to derail your thread here, but have you fired an underfolder?  If so, is this "jaw weld" necessary on all of them to line up the sights?  After last weekend, I'm thinking my little Draco might just stay a pistol.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 09:07:57 AM »
Rick, I've seen a lot of guys bolt an ace sidefolder to the rear of the trunnion on the Draco's.  They just drill & tap it and it seems to be plenty strong.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 09:33:44 AM »
thats gonna be one sweet SBR!!!  im actually toying with the idea of doing another AR15 SBR.

i've shot and owned two underfolding AK's.  i never had a problem with them and i never thought they were uncomfortable, but i know other people who hate them.  to each their own, i guess.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 09:43:16 AM »
Nice looking gun there.

I have a Draco pistol that has the UF trunion too.  I was planning on eventually converting mine sometime in the future, until I held an underfolder WASR-10 last weekend.  When holding it in firing position, I noticed that I would have to use a "jaw weld" instead of a "cheek weld" in order to even see the rear sight as the stock seems to drop at quite an angle away from the rear of the receiver.  Since this was a Century-built gun, I'm not sure if this is just a case of one of their legendary messed up "monkey-built" guns, or if all underfolders are like this. 

Not trying to derail your thread here, but have you fired an underfolder?  If so, is this "jaw weld" necessary on all of them to line up the sights?  After last weekend, I'm thinking my little Draco might just stay a pistol.
Rick,
It just depends on the manfacturer of the rifle. Polish AKM's have the UF coming straight back from the receiver and are "cheek weld" all be it a small contact area. Then some like the Romanian and old T-type Russians have that drop on the stock that causes the "jaw weld". You just cant beat a triangle side folder or standard fixed stock for best fit. Heck even the single wire Tantal style side folders work better than the traditional old under folders.