< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Ruger Mark I Magazine Alteration  (Read 2152 times)

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
Ruger Mark I Magazine Alteration
« on: January 21, 2012, 11:03:53 PM »
Greetings,

I have a Ruger Mark I and several 9 round magazines. I also have one Mark II 10 round magazine which seems to work ok, but it doesn't fit the gun as nicely as the Mark I magazines.  One thing I have notice is that the Mark I magazine is VERY close to holding a tenth round.  I have also noticed that the magazine follower is quite a tall profile.  These are the newer magazines which can be disassembled.  I am wondering if anyone has heard of an alteration to the follower to make it a little shorter and allow one more round in the magazine? It seems that the follower could be shortened by just a little bit to allow the 10th round and still be sufficiently tall to do its job.

Has anyone tried this?

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
Re: Ruger Mark I Magazine Alteration
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 05:43:03 PM »
After taking the magazines apart, it appears that the 9 round Mark I and 10 round Mark II are very similar.  It seems that the major difference is the length of the pin that holds the magazine base plate in position.  I am now wondering if shortening this pin to allow the follower to travel down further would be a good solution.

I am like BKoenig...I just can't leave things alone.  ;D

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: Ruger Mark I Magazine Alteration
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 06:54:03 PM »
Hey!

;D