< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Omaha handgun registration  (Read 10181 times)

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
Omaha handgun registration
« on: January 22, 2012, 02:03:43 AM »
Hey guys I am going to be transferring from UNL to UNO this fall and want to get some info on Obamahas gun registration. I Googled "omaha gun registration" and got the opd site but it seems to have left me hanging and seemed vague. If I move to Omaha and already own a handgun am I supposed to go pay that BS fee and get all the handguns registered? Has anybody fought this registration? Because mandating $15 to just tell them you are buying a gun seems highly illegal, this isn't an NFA item for crying out loud. Any input on these awful laws would be helpful. Oh and one more thing, if I do have to pay the $15 per gun if I make Omaha my residence could I get around it by saying my permanent address is still my parents house in Columbus since I will just be a student in town?

P.S. (getting a little long winded): Just saw something on that interweb thing saying a concealed carry permit holder does not need to register any guns with the Omaha Police? One more reason to get that when I can...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 02:09:54 AM by bradkoll »

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Re: Omaha handgun registration
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 08:21:34 AM »
Easiest solution:  Don't move into Omaha.   :o
Move to Western Douglas, Sarpy, Saunders, Dodge, Washington County Nebraska or Pottawatamie County Iowa. 

The decrease in cost of living would likely make up for the increase in fuel cost.  Just an idea.  ;D

Other than that, I'm pretty sure that you would be required to register even though you still use Columbus as your permanent place of residence.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 09:05:50 AM »
It ain't the location of the residence.

It's the location of the gun.

Sec. 20-251. - Required. 
(a)
It shall be unlawful for any person to own, have possession of, or maintain control over any concealable firearm which has not been registered to said person with the chief of police in accordance with this division, except when such possession or control is with the knowledge and express consent of the person in whose name such concealable firearm is registered.

Bring gun into Omaha city limits, register it and pay the $10.00 fee.   (Unless.........you hold CHP.   Then no registration is required.)

Guy got busted year or so ago.   Traffic stop while driving from outside city into Omaha.   Cop somehow learned of .357Mag in trunk.   Wrote ticket.   Guy guilty.    Had to pay fine.   If he'd been traveling through Omaha to Council Bluffs, he could have claimed federal travel rules (Title 18/926a).

But.........Omaha was his destination.    Unregistered gun not legal here.   The instant the gun crosses the line.

Bottom Line:     Everybody please be nice and pay the registration fee because we need the money for firemen's pensions and to fix all our sewers under federal mandate.    And to pay the mayor's high-paid staff.

sfg
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 09:23:01 AM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 10:50:15 AM »
Omaha's registration has just had some changes, the fee went from $10 to $15 is one of those changes.  But otherwise what SFG said is correct it is where the gun is, if it comes into Omaha City limits it must be registered.  Exceptions would be you have a CCW, then they ask for voluntary registration which is free.  The only other exception, and you most likely would be ticketed and have your firearm confiscated would be under the federal travel rules. 

We have been fighting Omaha's rules and infact the recent change was due to our forcing the issue with a lawsuit.  We did get a little bit out of them in the removal of the 18" rule, now it's only handguns and NFA (short barreled rifles/shotguns) that they require be registered.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 11:50:29 AM by AAllen »

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 11:40:51 AM »
Thanks go out to AndyA and the NFOA for their efforts to rid us of this unfair, illegal, and burdensome law.

Interesting to scan Omaha Municipal Codes 20-251 thru 20-259.    Nowhere is there any grace period [like 30 days] for registration of the handgun.

So---Technically, it appears that a person could be busted walking out of the gun store in Omaha immediately after the purchase of a new handgun.

Cincinnati used to have a city ordinance that people driving in Cincinnati were required to have a Cincinnati City Tax Sticker on their car window.    If you lived in the 'burbs and came into Cincy, you could get a ticket for no sticker.   I did.   Later that law was thrown out.   The City of Omaha handgun registration law should get the same treatment.

:POne singular, saluatory effect of the Omaha law is the incredibly low number of handgun murders, shootings, robberies, and firearms-related assaults in this city.   Shows that those Anti-gun laws really work as intended!!.:P

sfg   

« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 11:43:07 AM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline justsomeguy

• Defender of the Constitution
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 11:53:00 AM »
Could someone please cite the NFA registration requirement?
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are." - Marcus Aurelius

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 12:07:38 PM »
jsg - The federal or the city, the city has set their definition for a concealable firearm to any firearm with an overall length of 26" or less which means it falls into the SBR catagory of class III weapons.  This has not yet been update a municode where all the Omaha Codes are posted for the public... go figure.  The change would have taken effect about Christmas of 2011.

Thi is the way it should read in the definitions section now: Concealable firearm:  A firearm having an overall length of less than 26 inches.  I had to look it up in the proposal that was passed by the city council.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 12:12:26 PM by AAllen »

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 01:56:31 PM »
Thanks for the input guys, concealed carry will definitely be the route I will take to avoid this mess.

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 04:39:19 PM »
Being from Lincoln, I don't care all that much, but after reading the above comments, I'm confused about the Omaha law.  It sounds as if a person could register a hand gun in their own name, and then loan it to someone who could carry it all over Omaha if they wanted to without any problems.  Or perhaps that gun could be stolen, and when stopped the carrier just says Joe Blow loaned it to him.  Is OPD going to keep the guy in custody while they check out his story?  What if they can't get a hold of Joe Blow (he's away on vacation in Siberia for a month)? Then what?  Is this even more stupid than it first appeared, or am I misinterpreting it?

Also, can someone cite the part of Omaha city code that expressly makes CHP holders immune to the registration requirement?
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 06:29:57 PM »
Armed and Humorous: This was taken directly from the Omaha PD website

I have a CCW permit. Do I have to register my concealable firearm with the Omaha Police Department?
Effective July 15, 2010, Nebraska state statute 18-1703 has voided the Omaha city ordinance 20-251, for persons who have obtained a permit to carry a concealed weapon, which means that valid CCW permit holders are no longer required to register concealable firearms with the city of Omaha.

Offline altheman2

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 07:42:01 PM »
SFG
what is the penalty for having an unregistered handgun in Omaha?

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 09:37:12 PM »
Altheman:

Here's what the Omaha Municipal Code says:

Up to $500 fine; Up to 6 months in that fenced-in place out by the airport.   Maybe both.
================

Sec. 1-10. - General penalty; continuing violations.

Whenever in this Code or in any ordinances of the city an act is prohibited or is made or declared to be unlawful or an offense or a misdemeanor, or whenever in such Code or ordinance the doing of any act is required or the failure to do any act is declared to be unlawful, and no specific penalty is provided therefor, the violation of any such provision or the failure to perform any such act shall be punished by a fine of not exceeding $500.00, or by imprisonment not to exceed six months, or both such fine and imprisonment in the discretion of the court.

Each day any such violation or failure to perform such act shall continue shall constitute a separate offense, unless otherwise specifically provided.
=====================

Kiss any Concealed Handgun Permit application goodbye for ten (10) years, until the offense wears off.   (Because it's a firearms violation.   See NAC, Title 272, Ch.21, 005.01H for details.)

One More Thing:   

And that nice Kimber Ultra Carry II that they took:     Goodbyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

sfg
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 03:03:43 PM by SemperFiGuy »

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 02:55:23 PM »
Easiest solution:  Don't move into Omaha.   :o
Move to Western Douglas, Sarpy, Saunders, Dodge, Washington County Nebraska or Pottawatamie County Iowa. 

The decrease in cost of living would likely make up for the increase in fuel cost.  Just an idea.  ;D

Other than that, I'm pretty sure that you would be required to register even though you still use Columbus as your permanent place of residence.

I couldn't agree more! One thing Rick didn't mention is the Omaha Wheel Tax, I think it is $50 per Vehicle you register in the city or within the Omaha Zoning juristiction.

Greg58
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 02:58:33 PM by greg58 »
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 06:33:16 PM »
As a side note, a few years back, before I obtained my CCW, I purchased a pistol in Omaha.  The seller (a shop) would not release the weapon to me until I had registered it with OPD. 

So, you pay for it, take the paperwork to OPD, then take the registration back to the seller and pick up the weapon. 

This is why that was and will remain the only weapon I have purchased within the Omaha city limits.  Besides, there are many sellers outside of Omaha but in the metro area, including one who occasionally posts here, that I prefer to go to.

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX