< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Belgian Malinois  (Read 1155 times)

Offline Roper

• Powder Benefactor
Belgian Malinois
« on: January 22, 2012, 07:10:45 AM »
Has anyone had a belgian malinois for a pet?
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.
Ronald Reagan

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Belgian Malinois
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 09:07:02 AM »
No, but they're nice-looking dogs.  I'm not too sure, but I'm thinking the LPD uses them (or something very similar) for their K-9 patrol dogs.  Very trainable from what I've read.
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 09:09:18 AM »
I remember hearing they're very smart, but also can be quite aggressive if not trained properly.  Not a breed for a casual dog owner from what I've heard.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 09:20:12 AM »
Never owned one, but I have taken classes from a trainer that runs them in Obedience and Agility trials.

They are a very intelligent, high energy, high drive dog that requires a great deal of exercise and without a purpose in life, may well  be a handful at home.

They would make a great pet if you have the time and a plan to keep them occupied. That is true from all the herding breeds

You might look up the Greater Lincoln Obedience Club (GLOC) as they have a few Malinois owners in the club

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 05:15:34 PM »
I checked, and two of the five K9 dogs for LPD are that breed and one is a cross with a German Sheppard (the other two are German Sheppards).
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline Roper

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 08:11:43 PM »
I saw the same thing on LPD's site. We are probably going with German Shepards but the Malinois are intriguing.  Thanks for the comments.
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.
Ronald Reagan