< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: DPMS Kitty Kat  (Read 2733 times)

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
DPMS Kitty Kat
« on: January 23, 2012, 11:57:44 PM »
My wife really wants a DPMS kitty kat.  I assume she cant get a semi-auto one even with a tax stamp?

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
Re: DPMS Kitty Kat
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 08:15:35 AM »
Is that some kind of target?  :)  Tell her to be careful.  Some kids in Lincoln got in big trouble for shooting a feral cat with a bow and arrow!  :)
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 08:42:02 AM »
since the barrel is under 16" it is an NFA item.  she will need to get a stamp for it and wait 5-6 months.  you can Form 1 a stripped lower and starting picking up pieces (except the barrel or build a pistol first, then add the stock after the stamp comes in) and build it yourself or with her.  some times its cheaper, but at least you can get what you want in a short rifle.  and it being 7", it will be loud and very bright and most (if not all) suppressor companies void their warranties on barrels shorter than 10.5".
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 10:22:18 AM »
I've been reading some older stuff, but it sounds like the DPMS kitty kat has some problems? 

Loud and bright is ok.  She shoots a 300 win mag too.  I think she would like an SBR and the kitty kat at least looks good.  Will do more research.   Thanks!

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 11:05:21 AM »
i, personally, have no experience with any DPMS product, but i've heard that 5.56/.223 7" barrels might have some problems ejecting or cycling, but again i have no personal experience with this.

i did a Form 1 on a stripped lower and im waiting for the paperwork to come back.  1 SBR lower can have an unlimited amount of short barrels and calibers on it, as long as the registered length is kept on the gun when stored.

i also think building AR's are somewhat easy and fun.  ill post pics under the NFA section when my paperwork comes back (hopefully soon).

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 05:07:38 PM »
Is that some kind of target?  :)  Tell her to be careful.  Some kids in Lincoln got in big trouble for shooting a feral cat with a bow and arrow!  :)

Note to self: stop shooting at rabbits with the bow...

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 07:27:43 PM »
since the barrel is under 16" it is an NFA item.  she will need to get a stamp for it and wait 5-6 months.  you can Form 1 a stripped lower and starting picking up pieces (except the barrel or build a pistol first, then add the stock after the stamp comes in) and build it yourself or with her.  some times its cheaper, but at least you can get what you want in a short rifle.  and it being 7", it will be loud and very bright and most (if not all) suppressor companies void their warranties on barrels shorter than 10.5".

I don't think it has a stock, does it?  If not it's a pistol and not an SBR so there's no tax stamp. 

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 07:51:39 PM »
i think this is what the OP is talking about.

http://dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=1462

Offline dkarp

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 05:21:48 PM »
Hmm, it says full auto and 3 round burst are optional, but there is also a message that pops up when opening the link that says "law enforcement only"......So you would have to get the semi auto only version through a dealer willing to sell you one-after doing the NFA $200 tax stamp, etc....due to the short barrel.