< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Bomb making material, guns, drugs found near Henderson  (Read 3192 times)

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
Bomb making material, guns, drugs found near Henderson
« on: January 26, 2012, 09:31:37 AM »
Curious as to what some of you might think.  I'm not defending these people in any way, but take note of what is   considered 'bomb making' material and also 'lots of guns'...

http://www.yorknewstimes.com/news/article_21f4b7e8-4765-11e1-b3c2-0019bb2963f4.html

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Bomb making material, guns, drugs found near Henderson
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 10:02:49 AM »
I must be missing it, were does it describe the specific bomb making materials?

- Shawn
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 10:06:51 AM »
On the page with the story there is a link taking you to photos of the confiscated items..

Click here for photos

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 10:17:26 AM »
Take out the meth and we're all pretty much screwed.  :o

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 11:07:53 AM »
I couldn't identify much outside of a piece of wire and some CO2 cartridges.  I suppose the gun powder in the ammunition could have been removed and used to make a bomb, though.  Yes, we probably all have "bomb making materials" in our homes, but unless there is some evidence indicating we're actually building bombs, I don't think we have to worry about this kind of thing.  It is troublesome to me, though, how the media always makes a big deal out of finding guns...anywhere...even if they weren't being used for any illegal purposes.
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 11:15:49 AM »
Cold pack contents can be used to make home made Tannerite if mixed with powdered aluminum. Hardly a bomb. Can be bought and sold legally by mail
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 11:59:43 AM »
Keep in mind more than 1 gun is an "arsenal" and four 500 packs of .22 LR is "thousands of rounds of ammunition"

Also, I am an NRA instructor, certified by the NSP to teach CHP courses, been around, trained and hunted with firearms since being a young'un, but I appear to be ignorant about the difference in "standard rifles" and "assualt-style" rifles.      :blank:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 12:05:43 PM by bullit »

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 12:47:17 PM »
bullit:

That distinction always bothers me, too.  Even if you could nail down a difference...so what?  Now, if they were illegal guns, I could see making mention of it, but otherwise...
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 01:07:16 PM »
Jeez guys, do I gotta e'splain everything?  The standard rifles have wood stocks, the assault style rifle was black-ish with a place to stick a clip in for ammo type stuff.  It looks sorta scary, so it's a assault rifle.

Any other questions? I'll be around all week..
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 01:19:02 PM »
In the video the reporter states, "lots of guns were found."  That really bothers me when they tie it into a story like this because it conditions the uninformed masses that "lot's" of guns = evil, bad, drug dealers, etc by association. 

Apparently some fuse and a bottle of Pyrodex is at least part of the bomb making supplies...

No doubt law enforcement wants to paint this scenario as bad as they can to help nail these people, but the overall picture being painted of even having some guns puts all gun owners in a bad light.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 01:33:26 PM »
The local rag here tends to throw the  gun in the headline along with drugs, then in the first couple of sentences, the person was cited for (on top of everything else) a concealed weapon, which I feel demonizes even the legal CCW. I really wish they would state it as a illegally concealed weapon.  Then of course later on in the article, the weapon ends up being a bb gun. 
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 02:39:25 PM »
Gotta love the skull and cross bones box too.

EEEEEEeeeevil
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 03:33:56 PM »
Just for the record, I want to clarify that I'm not bashing the Sheriff's office here.  The York County sheriff is a strong 2A proponent and runs a good department.  I dread the day when he decides to hang it up.   

Offline Ghost

• Steel Benefactor
  • NRA Life Member - 1972
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 03:38:54 PM »
Just for the record, I want to clarify that I'm not bashing the Sheriff's office here.  The York County sheriff is a strong 2A proponent and runs a good department.  I dread the day when he decides to hang it up.   

That would open it up for you to run for sheriff.   ;D
A well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free State......George Mason

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 05:53:47 PM »
That would open it up for you to run for sheriff.   ;D

LOL!  Now that's a retirement option I'd never considered!   Actually, it would be a good reason for you to come out of retirement and move back! 

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2012, 05:57:43 PM »
oh, forgot.

congrats to the local pd for the meth bust.

too bad the extra 'paint them as evil' stuff was... well... fluffy fud.
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2012, 06:03:27 PM »
Yes... I got no beef for the LEOs.  Kudos for them enforcing the law.  The media are the one displaying stupidity.

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 05:44:15 PM »
Keep in mind more than 1 gun is an "arsenal" and four 500 packs of .22 LR is "thousands of rounds of ammunition"

Also, I am an NRA instructor, certified by the NSP to teach CHP courses, been around, trained and hunted with firearms since being a young'un, but I appear to be ignorant about the difference in "standard rifles" and "assualt-style" rifles.      :blank:

That caught my eye too. Pretty typical of modern journalism, unfortunately. Maybe if journalists actually knew something about the world before they started writing about it...

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2012, 06:01:07 PM »
Cold pack contents can be used to make home made Tannerite if mixed with powdered aluminum. Hardly a bomb. Can be bought and sold legally by mail

Cold pack contents (assuming that the cold pack uses ammonium nitrate) can also be used to make ANFO, the high explosive blasting agent that McVeigh used to blow up the federal building. Of course, in a farm state like Nebraska with large quantities of fertilizer around, ice packs seem like an expensive way to get ammonium nitrate if you are a wannabe terrorist looking for a stable ingredient for making "bad guy" explosive devices, rather than a firearm hobbyist looking to brew your own exploding targets/stump removal devices.

But yeah, ammonium nitrate is what I think of when I read "As to Lear’s alleged intentions with making bombs, Lt. Paul Vrbka said that is unclear and that aspect remains under investigation. 'But these materials are very indicative with assembling bombs, we just don’t know what they were intended for, at this point.'"

The other possibility that springs to mind is that this guy had some kind of crazy looking project going with protruding wires or something that just looked "bomb-like."

I'm a libertarian, so I don't like laws prohibiting the possession of substances, whether they be the psychoactive kind or the violently reactive kind. But with that said, I don't have much respect for a guy who is smoking meth and building bombs with kids in the house. If you want to endanger yourself, fine, but don't be reckless with your kid's life.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 06:09:17 PM by CitizenClark »

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2012, 07:16:31 AM »

Apparently some fuse and a bottle of Pyrodex is at least part of the bomb making supplies...

I guess I'm in trouble then.