< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Cyclist attacked by 3, shoots 2  (Read 2243 times)

Offline Waltherfan

• NFOA Full Member
Cyclist attacked by 3, shoots 2
« on: January 26, 2012, 10:02:03 AM »
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46143485/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

A 65-year-old man who was knocked off his bicycle by three teenagers on a Pennsylvania trail shot two of them, killing one, police said according to reports.

..The Reading Eagle newspaper said the wounded teen, 16, was taken to hospital and the third, aged 15, was taken in for questioning and was later committed to a youth center.

The paper said the mother of the slain boy, 16, asked officials not to release his name until she had been able to tell other members of the family what happened.

The incident happened on the Thun Trail near a bridge over the Schuylkill River, between Reading and West Reading just after noon Wednesday.

Story: Okla. mom won't face charges for shooting intruder
"There was one juvenile who was shot and is deceased [and] another juvenile who was shot and is in surgery," Police Chief Jed Habecker said, according to a report by the WFMZ-TV station.

According to police, the 65-year-old was riding his bicycle when the teens knocked him to the ground, the station said.

Police said two teens then assaulted the man, who drew his gun and shot them.

The man was released by police after they consulted with District Attorney John Adams late Wednesday, WFMZ reported.

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Cyclist attacked by 3, shoots 2
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 11:11:28 AM »
Good for him.  I hope the old guy wasn't hurt too badly.
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline mustang5o

• NFOA Full Member

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 11:46:24 AM »
Disparity of force....
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 11:13:06 AM by bullit »

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 12:36:13 PM »
I know a middle aged white guy out exercising is generally not an inviting target for thugs, but this is why I carry when I run or bike.  You just never know.  It's also why I don't wear headphones.  I tend to get "in the zone" while running and I don't need anything else distracting me from my surroundings.

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 12:44:40 PM »
The article didn't say whether the boys had weapons or not.  I would assume if they'd had weapons, especially guns, the media would have picked up on it.  However, I don't think it makes any difference.  I'm nearing that age myself, and if I had three teenage boys gang up on me, and they were physically assaulting me, I would fear for my life.  It is especially relevant since the man was carrying a gun.  Had he opted not to pull and use it, the teens may have gotten him subdued and taken it from him.  No telling what they might have done with it at that point.  If all they had were their fists, they should have known better than to bring them to what might have turned out to be a gun fight (what, they never even thought about that possibility?...too bad).
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 02:28:38 PM »
I don't feel bad for the boys at all. This better show the 2 survivors what a waste of a life being a criminal is.

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 05:10:27 PM »
"Julius Johnson, a sixteen year old on probation..."

11 am on Wednesday.  Must not have been a school day.  Too bad someone had to die, but good thing it was the innocent 65 year old.
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline Brunay

• NFOA Full Member
Victim kills teen robber on trail, police say
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 05:56:58 PM »
http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=361536

licensed and not afraid to use it.

Offline dcjulie

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 06:23:44 PM »
Per the article: "Adams added the victim did not provoke the attack, could not get away and feared for his life."   
This is a very important statement when having to use your firearm to defend yourself. 

Glad the guy was not hurt, but I do not feel sorry for the juvenile delinquents.  Hopefully the 2 still alive learn something from this experience.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 07:46:32 PM »
I have merged all the threads on this subject.

Let's try to avoid the duplicate posts
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 06:32:17 PM »
When I was in my youth I could and did defend myself with fists or a good knife. Now that I am in my 60's I am not able to do so anymore. Three young thugs could easily take me down and either cripple or kill me. I am just not that fast or strong any more. I doubt I would ever be able to recover from a severe beating either. So now I carry a gun. And if I can in such a situation I will use it. I don't care why someone would attack me or what age they are, I am just not prepared to give what time I have left in this life to someone who thinks I am going to be an easy target. I truly hope to God this never happens but if it does I want to at least have a chance to stop it.

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 07:05:38 PM »
Well put, Wildgoose, and there are many of us in that same boat who agree with you.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 10:18:11 PM »
re: age of the attacker

That was something brought up in sjwsti's self defense class.... was being able to draw and discharge your weapon on a kid if the situation required it.  Some 12 year old punk or something etc.  I am NOT a 'think of the children' kind of guy but do like kids and have one of my own (and lost one as an infant) and it .... was something that took a week or so to grapple with.  Had to just lay out clean and flat that self defense is self defense.... it's not about the other party, it's about SELF :D
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2012, 07:02:54 PM »
I say good riddance. Sounds like Julias Johnson was on his way to becoming an outstanding citizen......NOT

It doesn't matter what age they are, armed or unarmed, or how many, even if its just one. If you are down and they are assaulting you thats a "in fear of my life situation" whether you are 20yrs old or 65.

Also Pennsylvania has the stand your ground law which means you don't have to retreat.