< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Precision Response Training CQTF-101 Courses (Feb 18 and May 19)  (Read 1114 times)

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
Precision Response Training has scheduled two Close Quarter Technique (Firearms) classes for the first part of 2012:

http://precisionresponse.4t.com/Schedule.html
  • Feb 18 (winter version)
  • May 19 (summer version)

This isn't a Close Quarter Battle (CQB) course, because you aren't learning how to clear buildings with a squad, nor are you learning about short-range carbine actions.  (For that last, see Signal 88, because I hear they have a really good short-range carbine course.)

This is a class that gives you instruction, practice, and drills to give you the maximum chance to effectively defend yourself against an attacker or group of attackers at distances of 10 feet or less. Mostly 5 feet or less.

Let's be realistic---the chances of you ever really needing your CCW is actually very small, in Nebraska.  And yet, if you DO need it, it will be because someone is trying to kill you.  Given that, AND knowing that most people won't attempt to threaten or kill you from 10 yards away--it means that if you are actually serious about learning effective self-defense with a firearm, you need to understand how to deal with close quarters situations. 

Why take it from us at Precision Response Training?  Because we come from a background with over 20 years in martial arts practice, 20 of which are in an art that isn't interested in tournament fighting nor cage fighting, but IS interested in effective results.  (In addition to our shooting background.)

Are we going to try to teach that martial art to you in this class?  Of course not.  Learning a martial art takes years of practice. 

However, the fact that we've been studying and teaching effective body movement for years, coupled with significant amounts of research on the best way (in a limited amount of time) to teach techniques that are as universally effective as possible---this means that what you will get are techniques and drills that you can learn, and actually use.

[cue the people saying "That martial arts stuff is unrealistic/will get you killed/is too complicated etc."]

Is PPCT considering too complicated?  Unrealistic?  Considering it came from a group of martial artists, and distills the basic concepts of defense into a small set of techniques applicable to most people, able to be taught in small amounts of time---you might rethink that kind of argument.  (Note:  We aren't teaching PPCT---that was merely an example.)

This class is specifically about lethal force situations in which you have a gun carried concealed, and how you can access and utilize it given close-range attacks.

Yes, there are some martial arts schools out there that teach techniques and concepts that are ineffective.  (This is obvious just by looking at YouTube videos.)  This doesn't change the fact that the techniques that everyone actually teaches, ones that work, come straight from martial arts.  Take Blauer's system, PPCT, or any one of the other minimalized systems all taught to LEO/Corrections people---all of them use techniques they have taken from various martial arts.  Nothing new there, folks.

What you will get in the PRT Close Quarters Techniques course: 
  • An understanding of the tactical necessities of close quarters self-defense
  • A solid grounding in defense concepts related to opponent movement and personal movement
  • Instruction in fundamental techniques
  • Partner practice at various levels of resistance
  • Force-on-force practice for stress inoculation and to show whether the technique actually works.  (Because if it doesn't, you shouldn't have to pay for it.)

The difference between the summer and winter version is that the winter version is all indoors---there is no live fire at the range.  You will still be using your own CCW (I will supply the weapons for the FOF evolutions) for the class, and will learn all drills.  The summer version includes 3 hours or so at the range working the drills solo so that the first time you try these live, you'll have someone watching and helping you stay safe.  (If you've never shot a target at 6 inches from a retention 2 position, you are in for a treat, particularly if you shoot a .40S&W or a .357sig.) 

In both versions of the class, you will need to have a practice barrel or barrel blocker for your CCW if you wish to participate.  (And you should have one anyway, for dry-fire and partner practice on your own.) 

Take the class.  If you think it isn't important, look back to the recently-posted article about the older man thrown off his bicycle who was attacked and beaten by multiple criminals.  How would you do in that situation?  Realistically?  Have you ever even tried to draw a gun under stress with someone just pushing you, much less actually hitting you? Do you know how to defend yourself AND access your firearm at the same time?

There are several instructors around here who teach various versions of CQT.  You should take them all, really.  None of us are charging very much---and the practice could save your life in one of the situations likely to occur should you actually need your CCW.

Register for the class:
http://precisionresponse.4t.com/Schedule.html

(Then take our CQT-201 class which will REALLY put you under stress.  :)  )
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
Re: Precision Response Training CQTF-101 Courses (Feb 18 and May 19)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 02:11:40 PM »
I will definetly be looking into this.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 04:44:16 PM »
I will definetly be looking into this.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask here, or send me a PM. 

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 05:01:57 PM »
Just signed up. Looking forward to it!

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 09:04:24 PM »
Just signed up. Looking forward to it!

Should be a good time.  :) 

The winter version of the class is this Saturday, so chances are someone will post about how it goes before the summer version of the class in May, so you'll know what you have just gotten yourself into!

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 09:54:32 PM »
Hmm...I can't do this weekend, but I'll have to see if I can do the one in May.  I'm very interested.

Slightly off topic, but I've really been wanting to start taking some unarmed self defense classes.  I've kind of been thinking of Krav Maga, both for self defense and just overall fitness.  What's your opinion of that discipline?

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 12:56:48 PM »
Hmm...I can't do this weekend, but I'll have to see if I can do the one in May.  I'm very interested.

Slightly off topic, but I've really been wanting to start taking some unarmed self defense classes.  I've kind of been thinking of Krav Maga, both for self defense and just overall fitness.  What's your opinion of that discipline?

(Meant to add this earlier.  Whoops.)

Answered in another thread, so that this one stays on topic.  :)

Looking forward to seeing everyone in class on Saturday!