< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Police Contact Experiences  (Read 1053 times)

Offline Destrian

• NFOA Full Member
Police Contact Experiences
« on: January 28, 2012, 08:38:35 PM »
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and to CCW in general. I applied for my permit on Dec 20. In the mean time I have obtained everything I need to carry and am just waiting for my permit to arrive. As I get closer and closer to being able to carry, I find myself worrying about how police encounters will go down. My job requires me to have regular police contact so I am not bothered by it, but I wonder how a possible encounter will go down. I found a few other threads about police contact and most seemed positive but I am curious about a wider sample of experiences. So, for those of you who carry and have had official contact with police for whatever reason, what kind of experiences have you had? I am particularly interested in the Omaha area as that is where I live and work. Thank you all in advance for listening to the ramblings of a newbie.  :D

P.S. I should note that I will not be able to carry at work so encounters while armed there will not happen. Company policy...

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
Re: Police Contact Experiences
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 12:39:46 AM »
Stay polite, always declare yourself, keep your hands away from the weapon, and follow CCW class instructors instructions.  There's at least two firearms present... keep cool :).

There's a few 'first official contact' threads here that might help as well.  Most likely here in the Carry Issues forum.

I've had a few contacts, they've all gone smoothly.  My contacts have typically wondered what I carried along with a short generic gun conversation to follow.  If the officer is nervous, just stay very calm / reassuring and let them control the situation ("what do you want me to do next?") (as is prolly not a terribly bad idea anyway). 

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 10:58:57 AM »
I've only had a few contacts with LEOs since I got my permit.  All went surprisingly well.  I told them I had a CHP and had concealed handgun(s) on my person (or in my vehicle), and that was that.  They never asked to see my permit or my guns.  It might be a different story if the LEO had reason to suspect you might be up to no good, but even then, if you remain respectful and polite, cooperate, and comply with the laws in this regard, I wouldn't think you'd get anything but the same in return.
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 09:59:14 PM »
Only been stopped twice.  Once by Platte Co deputy.  No issues.  Once by female NSP officer.  She was grumpy but no lectures but I did get a ticket. 

I have yet to deal with Columbus PD.  Some real a-hole anti types on the force there.  I behave myself there.  :)
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller