< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: 24 Hour Sniper Adventure Challenge  (Read 12693 times)

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
24 Hour Sniper Adventure Challenge
« on: January 30, 2012, 10:52:19 AM »
Anyone done anything like this ... or have an interest in doing so?

http://competition-dynamics.com/24-hour-sniper-adventure-challenge-2012/

This event is an adventure race involving: land navigation; practical shooting with long-range rifle, carbine, and pistols; fieldcraft; problem solving; and other related tasks.
Two-man teams will be required to navigate at least 30 miles on foot to complete the course. Along the way, there will be a series of tasks to accomplish to gain additional points. These tasks may include: shooting problems with long-range rifle, carbine, and pistols; problem-solving; physical challenges; fieldcraft; communication; target recognition; memory; and other tasks.

Teams must carry all the gear they use to complete land navigation and all tasks, though it may be abandoned at any time. Teams must carry one long-range rifle, one carbine, and two pistols for the entire course. There will be a "packing list" for safety items only. All other gear is left to the discretion of the team based on the task briefing. This information will be posted to this web site far in advance of the match date.

•Match duration: roughly 2 days
•Baseline land navigation of roughly 30 miles
•Bonus land-navigation points additional roughly 6 miles
•Extremely rough high desert terrain
•GPS prohibited for land nav - Required to bring as emergency equipment
•No support crew will be permitted.
•Field shooting challenges include long-range shooting, precision shooting, assault stages, target identification and shoot/no-shoot decisions, and related problems
•Approximate maximum target distances: rifle 1200 yards; carbine 500; pistol 100
•Unknown, various, and non-standard target sizes
•Max long-range rifle caliber .338 LM, minimum 6mm
•Max carbine caliber, .300WSM; max barrel length 20 inches (not including suppressor), minimum caliber .223
•You will not need special gear for technical climbing
•Tests may include basic lock picking, pad locks, combo locks and hand cuffs. Also knots.
•Night vision optics not required and not permitted
•Challenges may be taken in any order in accordance with land nav directions, including whether a challenge is taken during daylight hours
•Almost all targetry will be reactive armor steel plate
•Round count (minimums): Long-range rifle: approx 50; carbine: approx 100; pistol: approx 100.
•Cost: $585 per team.
•Refundable deposit of approx $130 required for issued radio gear. Cash or check at match check-in, full refund upon return of radio.

I might be done at the lock picking!  :o
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 10:56:14 AM by Mudinyeri »

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: 24 Hour Sniper Adventure Challenge
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 11:23:45 AM »
this sounds really cool, but i think i'd get smoked.  seems like a fun challenge though.

lock picking:   http://www.itstactical.com/topics/skillcom/lock-picking/
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 11:40:28 AM »
The Marine Corps will allow you to do this "for free".  Even pay you.  Just report to your local recruiting station for more info.  Semper Fi. 

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 11:46:09 AM »
The Marine Corps will allow you to do this "for free".  Even pay you.  Just report to your local recruiting station for more info.  Semper Fi. 

Not at my age, they won't.  :D

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 01:42:52 PM »
Looks like a ton of fun, doesn't it?

[sigh]  I don't have the time.  (Or sufficient training!)  But I'd love to try it.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 02:41:27 PM »
I would be interested though I have no lightweight rifles in one piece at the moment.   Have all the other gear and the perfect boots to boot!
~1522~    In an effort to reduce the continuing fear surrounding the black magic of guns and black powder, a Bavarian necromancer states that rifles are more accurate than smoothbores because the spinning bullet doesn't allow a demon to gain purchase upon it.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 03:13:47 PM »
@jth

It does look like a lot of fun.

Do you not have time for training or time to go to the high desert for two days? 

I guess if anyone was serious about doing it, we could post up our skillset strengths and weaknesses and see if we could get a match between two people.

Me, I'm really short on the long-range stuff.  :D  I have a rifle that would probably do the trick but I just got it put together and haven't spent any quality time with it yet.  I also have no real lock-picking skills, beyond the basic credit card in the door latch kind of stuff.

@20nickels

I'm good with carbines and with a long-range, precision instrument but need some time behind the trigger.  I guess it isn't until July.

I think I have most of the rest of the gear, but might want some lighter-weight boots.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 03:21:52 PM »
Just for fun, here are the skillsets/requirements as I see them:

1. Physical fitness (cover 30 miles of rough terrain at 4000-6000 feet elevation in <24 hours)
2. Land navigation using compass and map
3. Long-range shooting
4. Precision shooting (known distance & unknown distance + dope for each)
5. Experience with precision rifle, carbine and pistol
6. Lock picking
7. Knot tying
8. Assault tactics
9. Shoot/no-shoot assessment
10. Target identification ... KIM?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 05:10:07 PM by Mudinyeri »

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 02:33:37 PM »
Hmm, rethinking this.  Mebe 10 or 15 Mi. with gear, but 30!  Lots of hills it looks like.... In July.  Also I don't understand, it says USPSA style rules, will you travel unloaded and have to load at each shooting stage/position?  Will an RO be present at every stage to score and make sure procedures are followed?  You have to wear hearing protection the whole time?
more info;
http://snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2938090
~1522~    In an effort to reduce the continuing fear surrounding the black magic of guns and black powder, a Bavarian necromancer states that rifles are more accurate than smoothbores because the spinning bullet doesn't allow a demon to gain purchase upon it.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 05:08:19 PM »
Hmm, rethinking this.  Mebe 10 or 15 Mi. with gear, but 30!  Lots of hills it looks like.... In July.  Also I don't understand, it says USPSA style rules, will you travel unloaded and have to load at each shooting stage/position?  Will an RO be present at every stage to score and make sure procedures are followed?  You have to wear hearing protection the whole time?
more info;
http://snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2938090

Yes, 30 miles.  Not hills.  Mountains.  See the mountains in the picture below?  That's where the competition will be held.

Yes, you travel unloaded.  You load at each station.  There is a R.O. at each station.  Wear eye and hearing protection while shooting.

July will be nice and cool up in those mountains ... especially after the sun goes down.  ;D

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 10:24:06 AM »
 Need more gym time.  :laugh: Call me when they shorten it.

Offline dkarp

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 10:58:44 AM »
Saw something like this on a recent (last 2 or 3 weeks) episode of Shooting Gallery, on the Outdoor Channel...don't know if this is exactly the same, but it sounds very similar. It took place at the NRA's Whittington Center in New Mexico.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 07:30:06 PM »
Need more gym time.  :laugh: Call me when they shorten it.

They do have shorter versions.  But this just sounded like much more fun!

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 08:28:37 PM »
Does anyone know what hotels you would stay in each night or do we have to arrange those ourselves?   I would like to see what restaurants are near the hotels.  Maybe some nice French cafes or a gastro pub.  Also, I imagine lodging and meals are probably not included for that low of a price.
;-)
Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 06:44:14 AM »
"Does anyone know what hotels you would stay in each night or do we have to arrange those ourselves?   I would like to see what restaurants are near the hotels.  Maybe some nice French cafes or a gastro pub"

Dude.....what kind of sniper are you aspiring to be ???  Bugs, dirt and snails :)

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 07:39:41 AM »
Does anyone know what hotels you would stay in each night or do we have to arrange those ourselves?   I would like to see what restaurants are near the hotels.  Maybe some nice French cafes or a gastro pub.  Also, I imagine lodging and meals are probably not included for that low of a price.
;-)
Fly

It's a 24 hour adventure.  You won't need a hotel until afterward.  At that point, you probably won't care what the bed is like.  :D

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 04:37:47 PM »
 :D couldn't resist;

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2012, 09:01:50 AM »
:D couldn't resist;

Is it still a sport if you can drink a beer while playing it?  :D

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 08:41:08 PM »
Nobody?   :(

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2012, 08:45:33 PM »
Nobody?   :(

Sure...I'm game.  But you are going to have to give me a piggy back ride for 20 of the 30 miles.   ;D

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum