< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Update on LB 273 Public Hearing Today  (Read 1748 times)

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
Update on LB 273 Public Hearing Today
« on: February 04, 2009, 10:42:16 PM »
Randy and I attended the Public hearing today to represent the NFOA in a Neutral position on this bill. The Bombshell was dropped by Ashford as he opened the hearing. Ready for this????? Ashford said that he was proposing that all Sheriff's fees in the bill be doubled, EXCEPT the handgun purchase permit, which should be left alone. He said something to the effect of "these law abiding people getting there permits are going through an extra step to get these, they shouldn't increase the fee".

I wasn't sure if Randy or I gasped louder, as we looked at each other and asked, WHO IS THIS GUY AND WHAT DID HE DO WITH SENATOR ASHFORD?????

I testified at the end of the hearing that we were neutral, and recommended amending statute 69-2403 to make an exception for Concealed Handgun Permit holders to be excepted from having to get a handgun purchase permit. I'm not going to hold my breath on that happening, but we'll see.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Update on LB 273 Public Hearing Today
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 10:53:09 PM »
Thanks for attending the hearing Chris, and Randy.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 12:29:54 AM »
There are so many new Senators this year.
Helped me feel right at home. (sorta)
As far as LB 273 my feeling is that because of the high rate increase on fees charged proposal the bill may not make it out of Committee. There where many a question asked of the proponents relating to sheriff's current vs requested fees structure.
This involves every thing from summons, subpoenas to arrest warrants.
With requested increased charges from 1% to 500% increases.

If this bill does not pass it will not change the current Firearm Purchase Permit system in place we just do not get our CCP request.
So let the committee members know what you think about the fees and the addition of the CCP as a equal to current purchase permit.

Government, Military and Veterans Affairs
Rm. 1507 - Wed., Thurs., & Fri.
Senators
Avery (C)                   Avery, Bill
Pirsch (VC)                 Pirsch, Pete
Giese                         Giese, Robert   
Janssen                      Janssen, Charlie
Karpisek                     Karpisek, Russ
Pahls                         Pahls, Rich
Price                          Price, Scott
Sullivan                      Sullivan, Kate
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 08:30:02 AM »
Thanks to both of you for taking the time to attend and represent us.

Offline Jesse T

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • XD Shooter
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 08:53:00 AM »
Thanks for going guys, I thought about it but, I didn't figure it was worth taking the time off work to go and be "neutral". Did you get to speak or just listen?

That is really jaw dropping news to hear from ashford... maybe he is playing nice on some issues so he can have more leverage on others??
N0ZXR

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 09:01:25 AM »
Thanks for going, guys!
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 11:40:26 AM »
Thanks for going guys, I thought about it but, I didn't figure it was worth taking the time off work to go and be "neutral". Did you get to speak or just listen?

That is really jaw dropping news to hear from ashford... maybe he is playing nice on some issues so he can have more leverage on others??

I spoke. The lone Neutral on the bill. NRA lobbyist testified against, and offered the amendment for Ashford to drop the handgun permit increase from the bill

Offline iiranger

• Forum Member
#1 & #2...
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 12:42:52 PM »
#1). As said, THANK YOU for attending.
#2). Mr. A remembers 1994. The "slaughter" that followed the passing of the Brady Law by Mr. (and Mrs.) C. He is saving his ammo. Remember Von Maur. This is "house keeping" but works against us. When the felony standard was set at $300.00 (for vandal damages for instance) the minimum wage was $01.00 dollars per hour, you could buy a McBurger for $0.15 and fries were $0.10... So if you went thru the line twice, once for each, you could eat for a quarter. Order both at the same time and you had to pay sales tax...

Point is "know the law" or you have no rights... Luck to us alllllllll.....

Offline Aldo

• Ever vigilant. Ever ready. Ever willing. www.everreadyccw.com
  • NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 09:38:32 PM »
Randy and I attended the Public hearing today to represent the NFOA in a Neutral position on this bill.
Thanks, CZ and Randy, for taking the time and making the effort to represent the NFOA members!!.....and for informing us of what took place!

I testified at the end of the hearing that we were neutral, and recommended amending statute 69-2403 to make an exception for Concealed Handgun Permit holders to be excepted from having to get a handgun purchase permit. I'm not going to hold my breath on that happening, but we'll see.

Hey, it's worth trying.  Good recommendation.  I'll send out my e-mails to the Senators that Randy listed!
www.everreadyccw.com
"Always remember that you are Americans, and it is your birthright to dream great dreams in this sweet and blessed land, truly the greatest, freest, strongest nation on Earth." -- Ronald Reagan