< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Any Glock armorers or gun fixin' types around this site? I have a question  (Read 4068 times)

Offline y0diggity

• Powder Benefactor
My Glock 21 is an older unit and I love it. It's put a lot of rounds downrange and has done so reliably ever since I've owned it. For the last little while, I've been noticing that the slide rails on the right side of the receiver are starting to appear pitted and maybe even rusty. I'll attach pictures for you to look at. I'm not sure if I can just use a Dremel and a wire brush wheel or what I should do. Sorry the pics are kinda bad. It's really hard to get them to come out well with the glare, etc. Let me know if you'd like to see a different angle or something. This gun is like an old friend and I want to get it taken care of. Plus, it's not nearly as ugly as my G23  ;D
Thoughts??
I've just uploaded them to my dropbox because I was killing myself trying to get them to follow the constraints allowed on the forum. Sorry.I hope they work.

That which does not kill us was not trained properly.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Any Glock armorers or gun fixin' types around this site? I have a question
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 07:44:09 PM »
Rails look terrible and I suspect the slide is worn on the right side too. Can you see if the rail groove in the slide is pitted  too?

I would be inclined to send it into Glock and have it rebuilt. That may require a new frame and slide.

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline y0diggity

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 07:48:27 PM »
Bummer. From what I saw on their price list, that would cost almost as much as a new gun. bleh....

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 07:55:41 PM »
You will probably be surprised. Especially if it is determined that those rails had defective metallurgy that caused the pitting

Talk to Chris Zeeb, He is a Glock dealer and armorer, and he may be able to give you a better picture
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline y0diggity

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 08:00:38 PM »
Is he a member of the forum? How can I contact him?

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 08:08:11 PM »
As long as it works and you can keep the rails greased, you can just shoot until it breaks.

My G30 carry gun is one that is under the "recall" for breaking frame rails. You may have heard of the "E series" Glocks that might have a problem with rails that were improperly formed and tend to crack or break off.

My take is shoot it until it breaks...it is a very low incidence of reported rail failure and even then the gun runs until upon dis-assembly the missing rail is found.

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 08:11:17 PM »

look under the firearms training and education forum.  he posts his classes there.  handle name is "Chris Z"
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 08:12:04 PM »

He is one of the founders and a Board member... username Chris Z
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline dcjulie

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 08:35:38 PM »
I believe he is out of touch for the next few days.  He MIGHT check the forum, but I doubt it.  You could send him an email and he'll most likely get back to you next week! :)

Offline y0diggity

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 09:00:05 PM »
I'll try to catch him. I just have this vision of firing the gun and having that slide go back and not stop and slamming me right in the teeth. That would be awkward...

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 09:00:37 PM »
KINDA ODD.........

That the Rust is All on One Side.   The Other Side is All Bright and Perky.   Like it Should Be.

You might consider that fact to be a clue and try to determine if there's anything in your storage modes that might be causing the rust.

Were it mine [and it isn't], I'd take a Q-tip moistened with a bit of phosphoric acid and rub it on the rust.   Typically, the serious rust then turns black [iron oxide converts to ferric phosphate] and flakes off.   Naval Jelly is a phosphoric acid treatment.    The base metal is then usually left in clean condition and more resistant to rust than previously, due to a slight phosphate coating.

And then, I'd shoot that puppy until it breaks.    If it ever does.   [It's a Glock.]   And then send it back to the factory for repair, if you are still sentimental about it.

Better yet, join Glock Shooting Sports Foundation and go to Glock Armorer's School.    Get your annual Glock purchase discount and buy another one.    From Chris Z; he's a Fair and Honest Broker.   And another one.   [Friend of Chris' has One of Each.]

Or.....Get a Glock in .357Sig.    Buy Wolf or Storm Lake .40S&W and 9mm [plus extractor and magazines] drop-in barrels.

Shoot everything under the sun.    Win another Glock at Rock-Your-Glock.

sfg   
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 09:11:08 PM »
I have never seen this before....... I would recommend contacting Glock Inc in Smyrna directly, ask for the warranty dept.

The frame rails cannot be replaced, they are molded into the frame. Glock may recommend replacing the frame, which they are generally pretty fair about doing........

I would try a little steel wool to see if you can get the rust off, and keep a half a drop of oil on those frame rails

Offline y0diggity

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 09:20:06 PM »
SFG - I know I should shoot other guns, but I've had such good luck with my Glocks that I get nervous abouut spending so much money on others. I'd love to be more adventurous, but I'm sorta like Rainman. :) I don't really know anyone around here that's much into shooting or who owns anything I'd be interested in "test driving". I'd really like to try out a few compact 1911's, but like I said no one that I know has anything like that. :( I wish we had a range around here that let you try before you buy, but we don't have anything like that. The only actual range we have, I have to pay $180 per year to use so I just go to a friend's place in the country and shoot there. Shooting is expensive enough and another $200 a year is an expense I could do without.

Chris - I'll try the steel wool trick. Should I avoid the wire brush wheel on my dremel? I didn't want to try it if it's going to toast it.

Offline y0diggity

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 09:22:37 PM »
KINDA ODD.........

Naval Jelly is a phosphoric acid treatment. 

sfg   

Is that like wet belly button lint?
 :D

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 09:23:21 PM »
Two things that should stay away from Glocks.....

1) Gunsmiths
2) Dremels

Offline y0diggity

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 09:24:19 PM »
Two things that should stay away from Glocks.....

1) Gunsmiths
2) Dremels

Point taken. Thanks.

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 10:32:26 PM »
As a Glock Armorer I second what Chris said.
Sidearms Training Academy
La Luz, NM

Offline y0diggity

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2012, 08:01:08 AM »
Thanks everyone. I got it cleaned up really well. Much better than I expected to be able to. I put a very, very tiny amount of oil on the surfaces of them and reassembled the gun. I was hoping to go out this weekend and give it a test run, but it decided to finally dump some snow on us so none for me. I still haven't had a chance to go shoot the "World's Ugliest Glock" yet.  :-[ Terrible, terrible stuff.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2012, 11:38:43 AM »
Like I mentioned earlier, a little "grease" on the rails... Like STOS or similar, something that stays put a little better than gun oil, may keep that area from rusting again.

I also use a tiny amount of grease on the connector area where the trigger bar slides.

Otherwise I use Mobil1 5w30
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline borrowedsig

• Forum Member
What is this glock armorer thing your talking about? I have torn those guns apart with nothing but a armorers tool, they are about hte most simple gun you can ever work with.
If your a lefty and its your daily carry, that might explain the rust, or if you carry in a shoulder holsterif your a righty. Body sweat will eat up metal with no protection on it.
I dont agree with shooting it until it breaks though. It could cause more damage to the gun than if you just replace it. Or it could injure you or another person, or worse yet, you pull it to use it and defend yourself or others and it jams/breaks.
Maybe for some thats a risk they would want to take but im not that brave lol.
My opinion is that you should send it in to see if its a defect.

Matt