< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Omaha.com: Mayor says gun violence is top priority  (Read 1718 times)

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
Omaha.com: Mayor says gun violence is top priority
« on: February 09, 2012, 06:18:35 PM »
http://www.omaha.com/article/20120209/NEWS01/302099998

Mayor says gun violence is top priority

and some choice quotes:

Mayor Jim Suttle used his annual State of the City address to signal that combating guns and violence on city streets will be a top priority in the coming year.

Creating jobs and finding a way to ease the financial burden of a pricey overhaul of city sewers were two other points of emphasis for Suttle.

Included in that strategy will be summer youth jobs programs and executive orders to crack down on those who carry illegal guns and those who provide criminals with housing.

*sigh*
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline dcjulie

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Omaha.com: Mayor says gun violence is top priority
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 09:10:08 PM »
http://www.omaha.com/article/20120209/NEWS01/302099998

Mayor says gun violence is top priority

and some choice quotes:

Mayor Jim Suttle used his annual State of the City address to signal that combating guns and violence on city streets will be a top priority in the coming year.

Creating jobs and finding a way to ease the financial burden of a pricey overhaul of city sewers were two other points of emphasis for Suttle.

Included in that strategy will be summer youth jobs programs and executive orders to crack down on those who carry illegal guns and those who provide criminals with housing.

*sigh*

Sounds like he should round up the gang-bangers, hold them on chain-gangs at gunpoint (thus creating some new jobs), and make them  fix the roads and sewers.  Fixes all the problems!  :)

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 09:58:00 PM »
Ugh, cannot believe I will be moving to that city in about 6 months... ALMOST makes me think I will miss Lincoln :laugh:

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 10:18:42 PM »
Sounds like he should round up the gang-bangers, hold them on chain-gangs at gunpoint (thus creating some new jobs), and make them  fix the roads and sewers.  Fixes all the problems!  :)

Julie for Mayor!

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Bill

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 11:13:20 PM »
Ugh, cannot believe I will be moving to that city in about 6 months... ALMOST makes me think I will miss Lincoln :laugh:

You could try any of the suburbs, there has to be one that's more gun friendly.

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 09:31:31 AM »
If gun violence is a priority, let's have the city put up some money to get more law abiding citizens in high crime areas their CHPs.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 10:22:39 AM »
And to think Ashford as Mayor is the possible future for Omaha

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 05:18:54 PM »

Most of the Omaha "burbs" are firearm friendly, but just crossing into Omaha with a firearm is problem enough if you do not have a CHP. 

I live in the burbs, and am happy to stay out there.  It increases the drive just a little, but the peace and quiet are worth that little cost.

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline dcjulie

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 06:38:47 PM »
Not on your life FLY! ;)

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 06:57:10 PM »
If gun violence is a priority, let's have the city put up some money to get more law abiding citizens in high crime areas their CHPs.

You don't understand: they don't want ANY gun violence, and an armed citizen shooting a criminal IS GUN VIOLENCE, in their eyes.  They feel it would be better if the criminal beat the citizen to death: it would still be violence, but at least it would not be GUN VIOLENCE.

It's gun control, and it has a whole lot less to do with the guns than it does with the control.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 06:58:42 PM »
I *always* inevitably get this skit running through my head:

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 10:23:43 AM »

Don't just move into the suburbs if you plan to stay awhile, make sure you move across the county line, because I imagine it will only be a matter of time before the City of Omaha grows and annexes most of Douglas County - that's what's happened in Colorado with the City and County of Denver. 
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein