< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Is Nebraska handgun purchase permit/certification required by Nebraska Revised S  (Read 27831 times)

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
Once you agree that the second amendment can be limited in its application to convicted felons, which many here agree with, I think you almost have to allow for a way to verify the eligibility of a purchaser.  That's what the NICS system does, but it isn't perfect.  A lot of Nebraskans prefer getting the purchase permit once every few years as opposed to a NICS check every time you make a firearm purchase.  Should it be free -- yes, if it's required.  My personal preference would be to make the permit optional and keep the fee.  You either go through a NICS check or present a permit.  That way those who don't want the hassle of a NICS check can avoid it, but the cost doesn't fall on all the taxpayers.

As a practical matter, this isn't a hot-button issue for most gun owners in the state and would not get any traction in the unicameral.  I personally don't think it's a fight the NFOA should engage in at this time.  There are too many other things to go after in the legislature.

Offline Tulkas

• NFOA Full Member
Once you agree that the second amendment can be limited in its application to convicted felons, which many here agree with,
If a person is convicted of a felony he loses his civil rights, including the right to keep and bear arms.  In short, he is no longer one of the people referred to in Amendment II " ... the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
I think you almost have to allow for a way to verify the eligibility of a purchaser.  That's what the NICS system does, but it isn't perfect. 
Agreed.
A lot of Nebraskans prefer getting the purchase permit once every few years as opposed to a NICS check every time you make a firearm purchase.  Should it be free -- yes, if it's required. 
Yes, it's required.  From http://nebraskalegislature.gov/laws/statutes.php?statute=69-2404: "Any person ... shall apply ..."  Here's where the problem lies: the law infringes on Amendment II by placing a precondition on exercising the right guaranteed by the Amendment.
My personal preference would be to make the permit optional and keep the fee.  You either go through a NICS check or present a permit.  That way those who don't want the hassle of a NICS check can avoid it, but the cost doesn't fall on all the taxpayers.
I wouldn't have a problem with that.
As a practical matter, this isn't a hot-button issue for most gun owners in the state and would not get any traction in the unicameral. 
It isn't a hot-button issue?  I disagree.  When people allow a freedom, or a right, to be taken from them without protest then they are cooperating in their own demise as a free people. 
I personally don't think it's a fight the NFOA should engage in at this time.  There are too many other things to go after in the legislature.
Could you mention one or two of the "other things"?  I'm curious to know what you believe to be important.

Best Regards,
Tulkas

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
I think a couple other things that are more worthy of the fight right now off the top of my head are uniform signage and the victim protection act.  Those are the two most important issues right now in my opinion.
www.midwestleatherworks.com
matt@midwestleatherworks.com

Offline Tulkas

• NFOA Full Member
I think a couple other things that are more worthy of the fight right now off the top of my head are uniform signage and the victim protection act.  Those are the two most important issues right now in my opinion.
Okay, thanks.  Could you post pointers to these bills please?

Tulkas

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
Okay, thanks.  Could you post pointers to these bills please?

Tulkas
http://nebraskafirearms.org/forum/index.php/board,134.0.html
This should get you there.
www.midwestleatherworks.com
matt@midwestleatherworks.com

Offline Tulkas

• NFOA Full Member
http://nebraskafirearms.org/forum/index.php/board,134.0.html
This should get you there.
Ummmm...  Okay, I dug around in http://nebraskalegislature.gov/bills/ and finally came up with LB88 (uniform signage) and LB920 (victim protection).  Is this correct?

My thought is that neither bill should have a problem being passed.  I suppose we have different ideas of what are important issues.

Tulkas

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
LB88 and LB518 are the signage bills
LB298 (dead) and LB804 are VPA
LR40CA is very important
LB807 is making some important changes to who may get a CCW

Those are the priorities right now, not nessacarily in that order.  There are also things being worked on that support some of this issues in other bills.

LB920 I hope is dead.  I can not support a bill that would take away a persons rights without even a hearing.

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
For people who routinely get a delay for what ever reason, NICS will issue an identification number that your dealer calls in when the NICS is done, this identifies you differenct from the other mutts with the same name and worse background.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline Tulkas

• NFOA Full Member
LB88 and LB518 are the signage bills
LB298 (dead) and LB804 are VPA
LR40CA is very important
LB807 is making some important changes to who may get a CCW
Ahhh, that's better.  Thank you very much.
Those are the priorities right now, not nessacarily in that order.  There are also things being worked on that support some of this issues in other bills.

LB920 I hope is dead.  I can not support a bill that would take away a persons rights without even a hearing.
Did we have a hearing on the mandatory purchase certificate bill? :P  Sorry, I couldn't resist.

T.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Did we have a hearing on the mandatory purchase certificate bill? 
T.

Hearing on LB919 was Feb 8th... the only firearms related item up for consideration that was the Purchase permit fee change from 5 dollars to 10 dollars
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Tulkas

• NFOA Full Member
Hearing on LB919 was Feb 8th... the only firearms related item up for consideration that was the Purchase permit fee change from 5 dollars to 10 dollars
Okay, thanks.

T.