< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Night Sights  (Read 2392 times)

Offline will102882

• NFOA Full Member
Night Sights
« on: February 07, 2009, 12:16:53 AM »
Hey all,

I'm new to the site... wanted to get some opinions on night sights vs. a tactical light for the home defense weapon.  Thoughts??

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
Tactical Lights and Techniques
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 02:18:06 AM »
Welcome to the NFOA Forum will102882.

Night sights can assist you in low light but they definitely will not help in a no light situation.
Tactical lights (good ones) while being some what costly are a necessity be it weapon mounted or hand held.
Some statistics  state that 70% of armed confrontations are in low to very low situations.

With a frame (picatinny) mounted tactical light you of course will need a different holster for fit of handgun and light.
If intent on carrying with light attached.
There are a few examples of tactical light use both gun mounted and off hand.
Below is a god article to read up on one writers opinions.
http://www.allbusiness.com/crime-law-enforcement-corrections/law/11733798-1.html.

Personally I use a Sure Fire flashlight hand held for my handguns. My Rem. 870  setup has a weapon mounted pressure switched tactical light and pressure switched laser. The light also has a fast strobe feature which disorientates the bad guy.
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Night Sights
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 09:15:51 AM »
Like Randy, I use Night sights and a hand held light with a handgun
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 09:44:27 PM by Dan W »
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 07:31:18 PM »
The best use for night sights is to help find the weapon in the dark.  There is only about 10 minutes a day where night sights would really be helpful in shooting IMHO. 

Get a good handheld light and learn to use it.  Much better investment than night sights.
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 08:56:41 PM »
Rule #4: Be sure of your target and what is beyond.

My HD pistol has night sights and a Streamlight TLR-2 light/laser.
NRA Life Member.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 06:55:33 PM »
One thing to remember with gun lights/ flashlights: they not only let let you see the bad guy, they let the bad guy see YOU.  There may be situations where you don't want that to be the case.

My EMP came with 3 dot Tritium night sights, and yes they work in total darkness. Lining them up in the dark is not a problem at all.........  One problem is that they will fade over time, "going out" in a decade or so.......... then it'll be time to get new ones.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline will102882

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 07:14:56 PM »
Thanks for all the advice!  I've decided to go with night sights and a flashlight that's not mounted on my firearm.  Now to the range to practice shooting with one hand...   :)  Thanks again for the help!

Offline ranger04

• Valued Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 09:32:21 PM »
I have regular  white sights on my XD's However I will put a tactical light on the 12 ga. I should have a foregrip with rails  on Friday and have mounts to mount a Surfire G2 light on the rails. I don't think I will mount a light on the piostol, and have been practicing/dryfire holding a light. For those that have surefire lights, Surefire sells "tactical" rings that slip over the end of the light, one is a hook, one has a finger loop and a third that comes with the set is an enlarged ring that keeps the light from slipping thru you fingers.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 10:47:21 PM »
Thanks for all the advice!  I've decided to go with night sights and a flashlight that's not mounted on my firearm.  Now to the range to practice shooting with one hand...   :)  Thanks again for the help!

????

I learned to put the flashlight in my weak hand, lens end on the pinkie side of my fist, strong hand (with the gun) wrist over the weak hand wrist (backs of the hands pressed together isometricly)...... voila': two handed stability (almost) while holding the light!
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Burnsy87

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 06:23:11 PM »
I just grabbed a used Beretta PX4 .45 with Trijicon night sights already installed.  I can clearly see them in no-light situations.  The target on the other hand...

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 11:10:20 PM »
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=723204

There is a recent thread on low-light tactics.  Very interesting, and a good starting point for further research and discussion. 
NRA Life Member.