< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Loading for the 9mm  (Read 2299 times)

Offline 3oh8mx

• NFOA Full Member
Loading for the 9mm
« on: February 07, 2009, 08:50:57 AM »

I know there is another 9mm hand loading thread farther down but figured I would start one here ;D

I want to start loading for my 9mm - what dies would you recommend? I can get the Hornady dies and then kick in shipping to get 100 free bullets. Or I can get the Lee 4 die set that has the Factory Crimp die - what would you do?

I already load for my 243, 308MX, 25-06, and I have loaded some 44mags for a buddy, so I do have some (semi beginner) experience.

-chris

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Loading for the 9mm
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 05:30:47 PM »
I use a Dillon Square Deal and they have proprietary dies, But I have heard it is tough to beat Lee Dies. And I do use a Lee FCD to finish size any rounds that fail a case gauge test before boxing them up, or loading them into mags.

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 11:04:27 PM »
I LOVE the Lee Factory Crimp Dies for my rifles..... have not tried them for handgun yet, but one for my 9mm set-up is the next thing on my list.......
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 08:51:52 PM »
I use Lee 9mm dies (4-die set) and they work well.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Rule#.308

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 10:14:56 PM »
I have RCBS,Hornady and Lee dies for a variety of different rifles and hand guns and I must say I have been satisified with all of them.  The one factor that Lee has thrown into the mix though is they give you a complete set.  I recently purchased a Lee die for my 30-30 and included was a Lee crimp die which is not standard with the other die manufacturers.  By the way, I can use that same crimp die on any of my .30 caliber rifle ammunition.    ::)
Don't pick a fight with an old man.  If he's to old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 10:32:50 PM »
Lee has the patents on many of today's modern loading equipment.
Some he had to sue for and other bought the rights out right.

While there are better machines out there there are no better Dies.

I use a Lee 1000.
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline 3oh8mx

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Loading for the 9mm UPDATE
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 08:51:37 PM »

I purchased the Lee 4 die set for 9mm and have loaded about 140 rounds. I started with HS-6 and it was OK - maybe a little dirty but not any worse than WWB. I have also loaded some Universal and Longshot as those were the 3 powders I have on hand from 12ga reloading. I have yet to shoot the latter 2 yet but plan to soon. As far as bullets go I bought 2 - 100ct boxes of Hornady XTPs in 124gr and really like these bullets just not the price. I also found some Berry's plated 124gr HPs but haven't shot them yet either.

Thanks to everyone for the help - now I just have to decide what "THE" load is going to be for my 9mm.

-chris

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 10:21:31 PM »
My experience with HS6 is that it cleans up at the higher pressure and velocity. It is a good powder to learn on because a double charge will over flow the case in 9mm. I still shoot some HS6 rounds I have loaded in the past, but now I mostly use AA#5 for 9mm and .45 acp
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.