< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Supplies...or lack thereof  (Read 6437 times)

Offline rugermanx

• Powder Benefactor
Re: Supplies...or lack thereof
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2009, 06:15:08 AM »
I must be pretty unlucky I never even see primers anymore. I am doing alright on pistol primers at the current time but don't have enough to last more than a few more months. Large rifle I got a bunch of before the crunch hit. However I got my AR right before the rush on supplies (picked up the upper Nov. 2, 2008) 2 weeks later the parts were already inflated and I was pretty happy that I got mine ordered when I did. However I am completely out of small rifle and wouldn't mind finding a couple k. If anyone sees them at cabela's or GU I wouldn't mind being notified so that I can call and see if they can hold some for me. Always good to have a few extra sets of eyes that visit the stores at different intervals so that a guy knows when they are in stock.
The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself. Benjamin Franklin

Offline predatorhunter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2009, 01:06:27 AM »
rugermax if you are looking for small rifle primers and don't mind CCI brand Scheels in Lincoln has had a good supply the last two weekends while I was there.  They also had a good supply of large pistol.  As for small pistol they only had a couple boxes.
NRA Life Member!!!!

Offline Toster

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2009, 09:56:17 AM »
Is there anything wrong with the CCI brand of small rifle?  I know some people don't like the Winchester small rifle primers due to a soft or thin cup, and it causing a slam fire in AR's.  I have not heard anything bad on the CCI's.  Anyone?

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2009, 08:04:04 PM »
CCI is my preferred brand. I am also using Magtech SR primers with good results
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2009, 11:41:49 PM »
I have read some forums where people state that CCI Primers are a little bit harder
(require more firing pin energy)

+1 for CCI my preferred brand also.

Now Federal is a whole different story.
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline rugermanx

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2009, 12:00:01 AM »
As of right now I am up to trying any type of small rifle primer (anything but federal that is) But since these small rifle primers are bound for an AR has anyone actually had this problem personally or is this "forum rumors" and friends of friends of forum members? I prefer the direct yes I had that problem or no never seen it.
The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself. Benjamin Franklin

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2009, 12:52:40 AM »
Lee Reloading manual specifically states due not use Federal Primers in a progressive multiple capacity primer tray because of the fact that if one primer gets misaligned and it detonates while trying to be feed into the shell primer pocket the entire primer tray will most likely go off.

That is specific enough for me and I will not be the guinea pig.

Wolf Primers have become quite popular in today's world of buy what you can find market.
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline rugermanx

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2009, 08:59:23 PM »
Well the primer tray thing isn't my problem, Just haven't had much good luck with anything federal. Used a few in shotguns, and a few in a pistol, didn't really like what I saw.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2009, 09:22:15 PM »
I load Federal primers in all pistol ammo that I want to make sure goes BANG, but they are too soft for a rifle IMHO. 
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline rugermanx

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2009, 02:46:16 AM »
Wow gotta love the differences in opinions and brand loyalty. Dan, if I want to make sure it goes bang I will ONLY put a Winchester into it. Don't take that the wrong way tho. Its just funny how it seems that Chevy guys will stick with Chevy's and Ford guys will stick with Fords. NO matter how many times they are on the side of the road or how much time they spend in the shop. Not saying that I have had a problem with Winchester because I have not. But Once again Federal and I seem to have a history of not getting along. The ONLY shotshell I have had that didn't go off had a federal primer in it. Luckily it didn't happen on skeet nite. and it just seemed like they were burning different in the pistol than winchesters. Almost like the reloads weren't shooting as fast as my other reloads using about the same amount of powder and win primers. Both loads were supposed to crank out about the same speed and power. Just seemed to be a noticeable difference in the reaction and feel of the shots. Maybe its all in my head but i can't convince it of that, at least not until I have a chrony to prove it with.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 02:47:41 AM by rugermanx »

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2009, 03:58:56 PM »
It is common knowledge that many firearms have a problem igniting Winchester primers. I have personally had 20-30 failures in shotshells of the Winchester 209.

I quit them all together at that point.

I have fired over 30,000 Cheddite primers without a failure in 12 gauge since.

I have fired over 20,000 Federal small and large pistol primers without a single failure in Glock pistols.

I you have an issue with Federal shotshells, it would be the opposite of your description, as the Federal 209A primer is generally recognized as the hottest 209 sized primer made.

All of my Winchester 209 failures were back a while, but as you may know, in competition shotgunning, one miss and you are done.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline rugermanx

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2009, 09:49:31 PM »
Gotta shoot alot of targets to overcome a miss. Esp. in competition. Never have I had a problem with Win 209 primers. Had one fed not go boom and dropped them to prevent future problems. Never shot a Cheddite. Haven't shot nearly as many reloads as you, just going off the limited experience that I have.

Offline kickcam

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2009, 11:29:39 AM »
I have shot over 15,000 winchester 209's in 12 ga. and have not had any misfires or lack of fire.  I just bought a case of the chedite primers to try.  Hopefully they work as well or better.  Lack of Boom is not good.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2009, 07:16:29 PM »
I had used a lot of Win 209's too, and I was mighty disappointed when I had troubles. The Cheddites have been very good for me. Fortunately, I use Hodgdon International Clays for trap loads,  and years ago they had some data for the Cheddites published.

I got a few loads that have been very good for me in  1oz , 1 1/8th oz, both  light  for 16's and heavy for handicap yardage.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder