< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Supplies...or lack thereof  (Read 6436 times)

Offline Aldo

• Ever vigilant. Ever ready. Ever willing. www.everreadyccw.com
  • NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
Supplies...or lack thereof
« on: February 07, 2009, 12:13:48 PM »
I don't know about anyone else....but I must have just been calling in or stopping by at Sheels in Lincoln at the wrong time....I just couldn't find primers for my .45 reloading for what seems like forever. :(

But they're there TODAY (02-07-09)! :)  I called this morning when I finished up at Ike's, and although I prefer Federal over CCI, all they had was CCI in the 1000/pk, so I had them put that aside at customer service for me to pick up later on.

I hear on the radio talkshows as well as on other website threads that supplies have been low or absent since the election.  What are other folks finding out about reload supplies for handguns?

P.S. Other than ordering my bullets online (much, much cheaper than Sheels), I haven't ordered any powder or primers online since I didn't want to pay any kind of "hazard" surcharge.
www.everreadyccw.com
"Always remember that you are Americans, and it is your birthright to dream great dreams in this sweet and blessed land, truly the greatest, freest, strongest nation on Earth." -- Ronald Reagan

Offline 3oh8mx

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Supplies...or lack thereof
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 04:34:24 PM »

I noticed that today at Cabelas - the only 9mm bullets they had were 90gr Hornady's.

They had some loaded ammo 9s but not very many.

not sure what to think of it all...

-chris

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 05:26:17 PM »
I couldn't find any Federal small pistol primers at Gun's Unlimited today, but I did get a decent deal on lead #8 shot.  The counter guy there replied that they are having trouble keeping components in stock for reloading handgun calibers.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Rule#.308

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 09:11:12 PM »
It's not just handgun calibers but rifle calibers too.  And the prices are going up on what little you find.  I'm pretty certain it will be a short term thing though, at least as far as supply, rest assured the price increases will remain. 
Don't pick a fight with an old man.  If he's to old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 02:26:42 AM »
Was lucky last Wed. at Scheels in Lincoln bought up 1000 Small & 1000 Large Pistol Primers.
The last they had in these sizes.
They had quite a bit of rifle primers at time I shopped.

The prices at Scheels was the best that I have seen in last couple of years @ 2.99 box of 100 and 26.00 a gross.

Bass Pro is selling 100 at 5.99 and no gross box sales.
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline Aldo

• NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 05:36:08 PM »
No large pistol primers ANYWHERE across the United States!!!

Called the big name places and the small name places.  Just nuthin' around.  :P
www.everreadyccw.com
"Always remember that you are Americans, and it is your birthright to dream great dreams in this sweet and blessed land, truly the greatest, freest, strongest nation on Earth." -- Ronald Reagan

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 01:19:01 AM »
Was in Cabela's on Friday and also Guns Unlimited.
They both had a few thousand Large and Small Pistol Primers.
I already have Five Thousand of both and no not for sale.
In addition the ammunition supply seems to be getting better with more of and a greater variety.

Now Rifle primers that is very difficult to locate. One just has to be at the store at the right time.
The Prairie Dog shooters are having a hard time finding primers for there ammunition. Three Lees II can not get any also.

Offline Bigtony

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 03:37:35 PM »
I have managed to keep a good supply by stopping at Scheels in Lincoln.  Every time I go in they have a different supply that they didn't have the week before.  Plus it is fun to see what they have.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 03:49:06 PM »
Aldo... I will trade you  a brick of large pistol primers( Fed 150 ) for a brick of small rifle primers, prefer CCI or Winchester...If you  can find any
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Aldo

• NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 04:09:30 PM »
Aldo... I will trade you  a brick of large pistol primers( Fed 150 ) for a brick of small rifle primers, prefer CCI or Winchester...If you  can find any
Thanks for the offer, DanW.  I was at Scheel's the other day and was able to purchase 2 1000-packs of the Winshester large pistol primer....that was their only available brand as well as their limit per person at that time.  That puts my inventory up above the 5K mark....so okay for now....but I do appreciate the offer!

Good seeing you at RYG last week, by the way!
www.everreadyccw.com

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 10:22:41 PM »
As a heads up, some online retailers do accept backorders.  E-mail your retailer of choice and ask if they will accept backorders and hold the entire order until all items are in before they ship.  Try to find a friend or two or three to help offset the HAZMAT charge.

I'm presently okay on all types of primers I load with.  However, my concern is what my stash will look like come October or November.  I'm ordering now, with the anticipation of a 3 or 4 month wait.

(On a similar note, I'm *still* waiting on 3 AR-15 LPKs from Brownell's that I ordered in mid-January.)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 10:24:20 PM by Rich B »
NRA Life Member.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 07:09:15 AM »
I talked to a guy Sunday that has stockpiled 21,000 (Yeah, thousand.)primers and bought a Dillon 550b on a payment plan...... hasn't even got it out of the box yet, and isn't planning to until he needs to....... I wonder how many folks have done the same?  I always have a few boxes of primers on hand...... it's bullets I tend to run out of.......
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 05:15:12 PM »
He may have the market on primers should they become regulated.

Be-it a black market no pun intended.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2009, 08:09:28 PM »
I decided to just order some H335 and 5k small rifle primers from Powder Valley in Winfield KS. They will back order, and combine primer and powder on one HAZMAT fee , within limits. We'll see how long it takes to fill the order,as I asked them to hold it until they had it all before shipping

http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 08:12:47 PM by Dan W »
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2009, 11:11:33 PM »
I talked to a guy Sunday that has stockpiled 21,000 (Yeah, thousand.)primers and bought a Dillon 550b on a payment plan...... hasn't even got it out of the box yet, and isn't planning to until he needs to....... I wonder how many folks have done the same?  I always have a few boxes of primers on hand...... it's bullets I tend to run out of.......

Winchester primers come in boxes of 5000 so that's only 1 box each of small/large/pistol/rifle
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline Aldo

• NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2009, 11:14:56 PM »
Be-it a black market no pun intended.
ROFL!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 11:15:47 PM by Aldo »
www.everreadyccw.com

Offline Aldo

• NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009, 11:19:38 PM »
I'm presently okay on all types of primers I load with.  However, my concern is what my stash will look like come October or November.  I'm ordering now, with the anticipation of a 3 or 4 month wait.

Good point, Rich B.  Outside of practices, my only even shooting is the Rock Your Glock at Ike's....and I am counting ahead to what my inventory will be like when those events are done.  As it is, my source for bullets is currently running a 4-6 week backorder.
www.everreadyccw.com

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2009, 08:40:18 AM »
Well, a few friends got together and we placed an order totaling $1,100.  34 pounds of power and several K of primers.

If I wasn't on a list before, I am now.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2009, 04:17:15 PM »
I found Magtech Small rifle primers today @ Graf's for a decent price

https://www.grafs.com/product/245662

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2009, 01:17:07 PM »
I found Magtech Small rifle primers today @ Graf's for a decent price

https://www.grafs.com/product/245662

OOS already. 
NRA Life Member.