< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Why I am not renewing my SASS Membership  (Read 1866 times)

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
Why I am not renewing my SASS Membership
« on: February 15, 2012, 03:46:27 PM »
After competing in a number of Cowboy Action Matches over the years I joined SASS a year ago. In that time I have shot with and got to know a lot of good people.

I have also met a few that leave much to be desired. One in particular is a level I RO.

By virtue of being the only member who is a SASS RO of any level this individual “runs” the CAS program for the club he belongs to.

He has in the past allowed a competitor to complete a match after the competitor discharged a round through the unloading table.

When he does call a violation and the experienced SASS shooter in question requests verification this sterling example of a SASS representative has proclaimed, “You can’t tell me what the rules are, I know the rules, I am a SASS RO I and I don’t have to show you the rules.

Because he is taking time off from work to “run” the Sunday morning match everything is rushed. It would slow things down too much if we had to take turns being loading and unloading table officers. Everyone knows how to be safe anyway.

This same individual claims to have been special permission by members of the Wild Bunch and appointed (and says he has a plaque to prove it) SASS Marshall for the club. According to him a SASS Marshall is almost a Territorial Governor. This, he claims was necessary, because he does not meet the requirements for the position of Territorial Governor (not RO II), and every SASS affiliated club deserves representation.

Now everything to this point can be construed to be “club business” that SASS would not need to be involved in.

This past weekend this individual informed me that he is now the TG for his club. My two questions were; when did you take the required RO II class and when did the club vote on it?

His response; ____________ and ____________ (he did name names) gave me a special waiver to be a TG since I will be taking the RO II class in the future (If I have heard right in the past he has only been an RO I for somewhere between 2 and 8 years)and the club didn’t need to vote on it the executive board appointed me.

(Most of us are usually able to take the RO I and RO II class on the same day.)

There is much more I could say about this and for a number of days I have had phone calls and emails to ___________ and ____________ at SASS HQ to confirm this.

I have as yet received a reply from anyone at SASS. 

If this individual has been given special considerations to assume something he is not qualified for, specifically a SASS representative, it is now above the club level and affects every member of SASS that abides by the rules and earns the titles that have been bestowed upon them.

I would hate to think that SASS would cave to a whiney ass cry-baby that can’t earn it and has to beg for it, but thus far any response from SASS is well …………… And that is why I am not renewing my membership in SASS.
Sidearms Training Academy
La Luz, NM

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Re: Why I am not renewing my SASS Membership
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 04:00:46 PM »
Is this a an issue only in NM or does this affect folks in other states.
Also does this have any bearing on the End of Trail.
I ask because my brother shoots and I am looking to get into it.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 04:36:04 PM »
Right now it essentially of effects one club in NM and SASS rightfully stays out of local club business. If this guy is allowed to become an RO II he will be able to RO at the major matches, if asked or needed. If he is allowed to become a SASS Territorial Governor he will be the clubs representive in the SASS Organization and will have one vote on rules changes or other SASS business.

My objection to his accension is he has not earned and has not nor will he every display the qualities required for the position. My concern is, how many more out there like him that have gone up the ladder without earning it.

If what I have been told (by him) is true, in my mind, it casts a pall over all of the TG's in that how many of them are really concerned with SASS or how many are in it for the bragging rights and power factor?
La Luz, NM

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 04:47:44 PM »
I ask because my brother shoots and I am looking to get into it.

Bull, get into it. You will have a blast! I shot with a club in G.I., Ne last year that is absolutely outstanding. There are lots of great people in SASS and they will bend over backwards to help a tenderfoot mature.

My problem is that SASS has rules and I see this person who can not earn something on his own expect special dispensation and have it given to him. If SASS is going to violate their own rules and accomadate him then I am out.

He only wants this because he is a title collector. He has to have things others don't because it makes him better than everyone else and he doesn't want to have to work for it.
La Luz, NM