< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Where do you look for values so you don't get ripped off?  (Read 1784 times)

Offline y0diggity

• Powder Benefactor
Where do you look for values so you don't get ripped off?
« on: February 15, 2012, 06:11:53 PM »
Where do you guys look to see if a gun for sale is a good deal or if they're trying to rip you off?
I'm looking at a used Glock 27 in really good shape. It comes with a holster (which I don't much care about) and they want $379 for it. Thoughts?
That which does not kill us was not trained properly.

Offline justsomeguy

• Defender of the Constitution
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: Where do you look for values so you don't get ripped off?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 07:42:28 PM »
Blue book of gun values.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are." - Marcus Aurelius

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 07:48:05 PM »
On current production guns, I compare to new cost, figure in availability and wait times to get a new one.

The gun you are looking at is $100 under dealer cost for a new unit, $150 under dealer cost if it has fresh night sights like a new gun would, if the gun is 12yrs old the night sights are dead and you are looking about $100 to replace them.

If you have to have Glock Gen 4 then you have to pay premium to find a newish gun.

If I was buying for my shop I would be in around $300 and sell around the price you were offered.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline y0diggity

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 09:39:21 PM »
No, the generation of it doesn't matter much. I have 2 Gen 2's and I love them. I don't even know what generation this 27 is. I'm not entirely positive what the differences are between them anyway. I just know that in my experience, Glock is a no nonsense weapon that fires each and every time I pull the trigger. That's what I like - simple and reliable. And it doesn't hurt that they aren't incredibly expensive.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 09:49:58 PM »
Glock 27's are only made Generation 3 and Generation 4

$379 for a Glock 27 (if in good condition) is a good price

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 09:51:48 PM »
YODiggity:

One place to look is the national firearms market that is provided at www.gunbroker.com.   This website will be about as close to the current national market pricing for firearms as can be obtained.

You could look for a comparable firearm and see how the bidding is going on those guns that are currently listed.   Also, the Buy It Now price, actual selling price of comparables, and the total lack of bids on certain guns all provide a high-low range of prices for a gun.    It will trade somewhere in that range.

The $379 price is pretty good if that Glock 27 isn't a total beater.   Just compare it to the price of the same gun new at Guns Unlimited or Cabelas.

sfg
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 09:54:52 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 09:53:58 PM »
YODiggity:

One place to look is the national firearms market that is provided at www.gunbroker.com.   This website will be about as close to the current national market pricing for firearms as can be obtained.

You could look for a comparable firearm and see how the bidding is going on those guns that are currently listed.   Also, the Buy It Now price, actual selling price of comparables, and the total lack of bids on certain guns all provide a high-low range of prices for a gun.    It will trade somewhere in that range.

sfg

Yes.... Definitely, Gunbroker.com gives you realistic ideas of what people ACTUALLY Pay for guns.

Don't trust the "gun values books", or lame auction sites like Auction Arms.com where hardly anyone is buying and selling

Offline m0par

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 09:56:14 PM »
Another option: If you're registered on gunbroker.com you can search completed auctions to see what things have sold for. Otherwise, you can look at the current auctions and see what others are asking/bidding.

A quick look shows several used Glock 27's (don't know what generations) have sold for $350 to $400 over the past few months.

ETA: Oops, spent too much time looking on gunbroker, and SemperFiGuy beat me to it.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 11:03:35 PM by m0par »
"Where the people fear the government you have tyranny. Where the government fears the people you have liberty."--John Basil Barnhill

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 10:58:29 PM »
I do not pay any attention to the starting bids or buy it now prices. I watch a number of auctions through to closing. The sold for price people are willing to pay is what I consider the value. Remember any thing sold on the auction also comes with a $20-50 shipping charge and a $20-50 dealer transfer fee. 
Sidearms Training Academy
La Luz, NM

Offline 66bigblock

• Lead Benefactor
  • When SHTF, which side of the Fan will you be on?
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 11:40:31 PM »
It doesnt have some crazy looking gangsta carbon fiber coating on the slide does it??? ;D ;D

66bigblock

Its a joke people, lighten up...
I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.  I carry a lot of ammo because I cant run very fast.

Offline y0diggity

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 11:45:07 PM »
It doesnt have some crazy looking gangsta carbon fiber coating on the slide does it??? ;D ;D

66bigblock

Its a joke people, lighten up...
;D
No not this one. Although I have ordered a duracoat kit.I decided to make the slide a matte desert tan. Hopefully it'll look better then the awesome pink carbon on it now.

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 11:06:12 AM »
How do you search completeed auctions?  I cannot find them.
Another option: If you're registered on gunbroker.com you can search completed auctions to see what things have sold for. Otherwise, you can look at the current auctions and see what others are asking/bidding.

A quick look shows several used Glock 27's (don't know what generations) have sold for $350 to $400 over the past few months.

ETA: Oops, spent too much time looking on gunbroker, and SemperFiGuy beat me to it.
~1522~    In an effort to reduce the continuing fear surrounding the black magic of guns and black powder, a Bavarian necromancer states that rifles are more accurate than smoothbores because the spinning bullet doesn't allow a demon to gain purchase upon it.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 11:30:04 AM »
Use the "advanced search" feature

Click on the completed items tab

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 11:46:22 AM »
I, too, check the gunbroker, also forum classifieds. I have a slew of forums I cruise now and again and see what folks are asking, and what folks are buying.  I think it's more of a real world, real time good guesstimate.  Bud's gun shop online also seems to be fairly close to going rates. 
Cheaperthandirt has a online auctions too, but I'm not sure how they compare.
Just some FYI from my experience.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 04:47:07 PM »
Got it, tks.
Use the "advanced search" feature

Click on the completed items tab
~1522~    In an effort to reduce the continuing fear surrounding the black magic of guns and black powder, a Bavarian necromancer states that rifles are more accurate than smoothbores because the spinning bullet doesn't allow a demon to gain purchase upon it.

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2012, 05:16:00 PM »
My standard rule is take what I would pay for it new and discount the price 20% if it's in great condition. If it's in only ok condition, I take off 30% or so.

Seems to work pretty well for me.

Offline 66bigblock

• Lead Benefactor
  • When SHTF, which side of the Fan will you be on?
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2012, 08:50:01 PM »
Just buy from Chris Z and you will be all good!  :D  8)

66bigblock
I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.  I carry a lot of ammo because I cant run very fast.

Offline y0diggity

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2012, 05:55:40 PM »
Just buy from Chris Z and you will be all good!  :D  8)

66bigblock

I would, but he's way too far away and I don't have any patience for waiting for things to ship.  :'(