< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Personal sale of handgun  (Read 1237 times)

Offline bbtech

• Powder Benefactor
Personal sale of handgun
« on: February 16, 2012, 12:56:15 PM »
I have a couple handguns that I do not use. They are Glocks and in good condition. I would like to sell them and was wondering if there are any restrictions on the personal sale of a handgun. Can I just ask to see firearm purchase certificate and let it go at that? I want to make sure the purchaser is a responsible person and not a felon, minor etc.

Offline m0par

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Personal sale of handgun
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 01:52:34 PM »
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html#gca-unlicensed-transfer
A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law.

http://uniweb.legislature.ne.gov/laws/statutes.php?statute=69-2403&amp;print=true
69-2403. Sale, lease, rental, and transfer; certificate required; exceptions.

(1) Except as provided in this section and section 69-2409, a person shall not purchase, lease, rent, or receive transfer of a handgun until he or she has obtained a certificate in accordance with section 69-2404. Except as provided in this section and section 69-2409, a person shall not sell, lease, rent, or transfer a handgun to a person who has not obtained a certificate.

(2) The certificate shall not be required if:

(a) The person acquiring the handgun is a licensed firearms dealer under federal law;

(b) The handgun is an antique handgun;

(c) The person acquiring the handgun is authorized to do so on behalf of a law enforcement agency;

(d) The transfer is a temporary transfer of a handgun and the transferee remains (i) in the line of sight of the transferor or (ii) within the premises of an established shooting facility;

(e) The transfer is between a person and his or her spouse, sibling, parent, child, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, or grandparent;

(f) The person acquiring the handgun is a holder of a valid permit under the Concealed Handgun Permit Act; or

(g) The person acquiring the handgun is a peace officer as defined in section 69-2429.

You can just ask for their purchase certificate. If you reasonably believe that the certificate is valid and the person buying the handgun is the person listed on the certificate, you have met the requirements.

If you don't know them, best ask for a drivers license to make sure that the certificate actually belongs to them too.

A signed bill of sale wouldn't be a bad idea either, with or without copies of the certificate and driver's license. Not required, but if your ex-handgun ends up linked to a crime, you at least have some documentation that ownership was transferred.
"Where the people fear the government you have tyranny. Where the government fears the people you have liberty."--John Basil Barnhill

Offline dcjulie

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 01:59:59 PM »
I've sold handguns privately and I keep a copy of their driver's license and purchase permit (CCW permit would work too).  I also keep a copy of the bill of sale with serial # on it.

What Glocks to you have for sale?? :)

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 02:57:28 PM »
What Glocks to you have for sale?? :)

My thoughts exactly.  :D

Most people ask to see a handgun purchase permit or a concealed carry permit or both to help ensure that they are selling to someone who meets the criteria for owning a handgun in Nebraska.

If you wanted to go a little farther, you could ask to see their driver's license to make sure it matched up with the other info.

Personally, I like to avoid having copies of my licenses and permits floating around so I might shy away from a deal where the selling wanted to make photo copies.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 03:00:32 PM by Mudinyeri »

Offline bbtech

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 03:11:11 PM »
Thanks for the replies. A bill of sale sounds like a good idea. I too don't like the idea of copies of my certificate floating around, I have a Glock 23 that was manufactured in 1999 as near as I can tell from the serial number and a year old Glock 19. I don't shoot either one and hate to see them sitting in my safe unused. I also have most of a box of 250 rounds of UMC .40 ammo I would throw in. Haven't thought about price yet I am just starting to consider selling them.

Offline blind_hunter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 08:15:36 PM »
You could always take the gun to an FFL to do the transfer.  They might charge you a few bucks but then the transaction would be legit.  I actually did this a few months ago through Bass Pro, but that was mostly because I was selling across state lines.  Just dropped the weapon off at their store and they charged the buyer $30 or so when he picked it up.  Got a full receipt for the trade-in and everything.

PM me with details on that Glock 19 (price, round count, magazines, sights, etc.)

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 08:18:41 PM »
You could always take the gun to an FFL to do the transfer.  They might charge you a few bucks but then the transaction would be legit.

There is nothing illegitimate about a private firearms sale with appropriate ID
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline blind_hunter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 08:27:37 PM »
There is nothing illegitimate about a private firearms sale with appropriate ID

You're right, "legit" was not the appropriate word to use there.  Maybe you just feel more at ease.