< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Which mags and how many for events  (Read 957 times)

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
Which mags and how many for events
« on: February 20, 2012, 03:11:48 PM »
I have an springfield XD-9 SC .  I have two stock mags which have 13 rounds, and one extended mag which holds 16 or 17. 

For events like the steel plate stuff, rock your glock, and other matches (I belong to  ENGC), are the mags I have suffice or do I need more and/or different capacity?  What would be the best bet for these events?

Same question but with the glock 26, two 10rd and two 15-16 rd.

Never been to an event and want to not be stuck loading mags between sets unless that is ok.

Offline dcjulie

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Which mags and how many for events
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 04:05:50 PM »
For Steel Challenge and USPSA pistol matches, having at least 4-5 magazines is best.  If you shoot limited division (can load up magazines), the USPSA stages are usually no longer than 32 rounds ... don't miss! :)  Steel challenge is 5 strings of 5 targets per string.  There is no reloading during the strings, so you can have a friend reload for you if need be.

You will also need to have a holster, belt, etc. 

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: Which mags and how many for events
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 04:08:05 PM »
At Rock-n-Thunder, which is my only competition experience, you just have to tell the RO you need to load mags... it's likely someone will help you if you ask.  Otherwise I bring one mag/string so I don't have to reload between strings.  So five mags gets me through one target. 
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.