< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Giving a gun to a friend as a gift.  (Read 1133 times)

Offline cruiser1947

• NFOA Full Member
Giving a gun to a friend as a gift.
« on: February 20, 2012, 07:26:58 PM »
What should be done if a gun was given as a gift to a friend  several years ago and he is now uncertain of its where abouts ? Is a person legally responsible for it.  This question came up in a conversation and I thought this would be a great place to get some answers.  Thanks ahead of time.

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
Re: Giving a gun to a friend as a gift.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 08:12:06 PM »
He should report it to the police.  However, if you did not get a no felon card I would just be quiet.  Does he have a purchase permit, or rather, did he at the time?

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 09:20:02 PM »
When you say uncertain of its where abouts, what exactly does that mean?  Is it a "it might be in a closet around here, or a maybe it's in a box somewhere in the basement, I just don't know", or is it "I absolutely no longer have possession of it and don't know why, when or how it left my possession"?

Offline cruiser1947

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 10:07:10 AM »
I'm not certain about the details, but the main thing that he wanted to know was, what agency do you report not having possession of the gun that he bought years ago ?

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 10:26:51 AM »
Local law enforcement, either police or sheriff, depending on who has jurisdiction.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 01:33:49 PM »
What should be done if a gun was given as a gift to a friend  several years ago and he is now uncertain of its where abouts ?

I'd probably start with a smack to the back of the head ... then report it lost/stolen to the appropriate authorities.