< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: USPSA matches at ENGC...A few questions  (Read 887 times)

Offline camus

• Steel Benefactor
USPSA matches at ENGC...A few questions
« on: March 01, 2012, 08:06:20 PM »
 New guy here, I am very interested in trying this out and see what it is all about.

1. Can I just show up for this? I am not a member or anything.

2. Do they really run to 5pm? That seems to be the scheduled time, due to time constraints I cannot stay this late this week so I might just try April. Additionally if does run that late would it be okay if I just came out to see how it works?

3. Magazine holsters, I have none, decent belt holster for the weapon though. Can I get by with this?  Also how much ammo?

Really, I just want to see if this is something I like before I go get more gear.  Any further tips or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 06:25:43 PM by camus »

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
Re: USPSA matches at ENGC...A few questions
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 08:32:09 PM »
New guy here, I am very interested in trying this out and see what it is all about.

1. Can I just show up for this? I am not a member or anything.

2. Do they really run to 5pm? That seems to be the scheduled time, due to time constraints I cannot stay this late this week so I might just try April. Additionally if does run that late would it be okay if I just came out to see how it works?

3. Magazine holsters, I have none, decent belt holster for the weapon though. Can I get by with this?  Also how much ammo?

Really, I just want to see if this is something I like before I go get more gear.  Any further tips or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Nate

1) Anyone can participate, you don't have to be a member to shoot any of the matches.

2) Matches normally finish up around 2pm or so.

3) You are going to need to be able to carry spare mags.  32 rounds stages get difficult when you are reduced to throwing rocks.  :)  How many magazines do you have? What kind of gun will you be shooting?  I may have some space mag pouches somewhere...  I'd bring about 250 rounds of ammo to the match.  You won't shoot nearly that much, but having extra just in case is always a good idea.

For the match, as long as you can safely handle a handgun (finger out of the trigger unless on target, safe movement forward, backward and laterally, careful reloads and draws, good muzzle awareness) you'll be just fine.

We start setting up at 7:30am, so feel free to show up early to help set up, and you'll have plenty of time to ask questions, walk the stages to get an idea of what will be required, etc.

There will be a safety briefing for new shooters at 8:40, so if nothing else make sure you are there in enough time to register and get to the briefing.  Shooting will start at 9am.

It's a ton of fun---c'mon out and give it a try!
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline camus

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 09:15:11 PM »
Thanks for the quick response, I will try and make it early.

I have plenty of magazines but nothing to put them in. I  was planning on bringing 5, they are 15 rds for a P229. I may be a bit confused on the rules because I thought you could only load 10? Again, a new guy here.

I plan on shooting a Sig 229 in 9mm, for carrying magazines I thought maybe the back pocket would work for a new guy?  :D   I will see if I can't find something locally before then.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 06:08:58 AM »
Thanks for the quick response, I will try and make it early.

I have plenty of magazines but nothing to put them in. I  was planning on bringing 5, they are 15 rds for a P229. I may be a bit confused on the rules because I thought you could only load 10? Again, a new guy here.

I plan on shooting a Sig 229 in 9mm, for carrying magazines I thought maybe the back pocket would work for a new guy?  :D   I will see if I can't find something locally before then.

If you are shooting in Production division (and with that gun, that would probably be the best choice) then yes, having lots of magazines will be good as in Production you can only load 10 in the magazine.  (Other divisions work differently.)

If you need to stick them in your back pocket, you can---but something as simple as a couple of Fobus double-mag pouches can make things a lot easier for you.  I started out using them, and they worked just fine.  Something like this:  http://www.midwayusa.com/product/351493/fobus-belt-double-magazine-pouch-double-stack-9mm-luger-40-s-and-w-polymer-black

I've got a couple of those that fit Springfield XD mags, and I think they'll fit Sig mags too.  You are welcome to borrow them if you need to---just look me up at the match.  (Shouldn't be too hard---I'll be giving the safety briefing. :) )
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com