< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: I've got an Idea, and I may need some help  (Read 1621 times)

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
I've got an Idea, and I may need some help
« on: March 03, 2012, 09:09:05 PM »
First, This is VERY much just an idea that I am starting to kick around. Nothing in writing saying it is going to happen, no money has yet been laid out, it is just a light-bulb above my head at this point. I have shared it with a few friends and family, as well as starting to network out a little bit to see how such a thing could be completed.

The idea is akin to the "Acts of Valor" movie. Although in no way is intended to take away from that particular film. A series of true stories about armed citizen's self defense. I have a VERY amateur screen play half-assedly written. I have, so far, picked out 3 stories I would like to include in it.

Few notes: (again, nothing set in stone, just brainstorming here)
-I would like it to all be made here in Nebraska, support local economy and whatnot.
-About an hour long, about 8 stories total
-would like a good diversity among the victims and scenarios, ideally, so that a wide range of people would be able to relate to the stories
-I have NO idea how to go about getting rights to the individuals story, assuming they are not already exclusive to someone else.
-I have NO idea about how to get permission from businesses or levels of government to utilize areas for "sets"
-I really don't know about film making at all.

Few questions:
-First, what do you think of the concept? of the particulars thus far?
(be honest, if you hate it, say you hate it)
-Anyone willing or interested in helping out, should this idea ever attempt to become a reality?
(Actors, sets, props, cameramen, cash, sound guys, distributors, special effects guys, video editors, writers, directors, the list goes on and on and on)
-Any recommendation for stories?
(So far: the woman shooting home invader in OK, Retired marine shooting robbers in Florida, and H&K employee trying to escape from and ultimately shooting assailants in 1984 WV)

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: I've got an Idea, and I may need some help
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 09:21:09 PM »
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 07:35:00 AM »
http://www.nrapublications.org/index.php/12492/armed-citizen-23/
The first thing I read every month in the NRA Mags- the Armed Citizen Report. ( At one time I was able to go waay back in the archives into the 60s I think.  It would be cool to show how the mindset of society has changed from a "not mine, not today" mindset to a " oh woa is me, somebody help me"   I would venture to guess, if the question was asked correctly, the NRA might support such a venture, which would take the burden of chasing all these leads and getting movie rights off your shoulders. (also just a thought)
Maybe also some stories of folks making the decision to carry due to some horific event.  For that I can direct you to some fellow bloggers. (a girl and her gun) Could also do it Lessons From Armed America
style (anybody guess what book I just finished ;) ) build up to the event, the event, then interviews with those involved and the aftermath of reprecusions; society, family, financial, physical, psycological, etc. would go a lng way to show who the real victim is in these events. 
I would say W11B  you have got a heck of an idea here. If done correctly, it could go a long way in helping change minds, and thus laws.  Now that being said, getting a movie like this to big markets is going to be alot harder than a movie about Navy Seals (they still riding on the coat tails of the takedown of OBL)
Maybe a showing crusade through different markets coudl help get it going. 
I'll go check my lottery ticket, IF I win big, I'll fund this sucker and we'll take it to the top. (BUT I wouldn't go hold my breath, if I was you :) )
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 07:43:34 PM »
Maybe show a story of the trouble some have gone through because they were not in an area with the Castle Doctrine.
www.midwestleatherworks.com
matt@midwestleatherworks.com

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 12:35:24 AM »
NE bull, It had occurred to me to seek assistance from the NRA, but you raise an excellent point; if they already published the stories, then they had rights to them. DUR :-\

I recently was forced to watch a Micheal Moore movie in class. I have to say that the guy can churn out some propaganda, and alot of his points were valid. It sounds like NEbull/Sparky is thinking something in this direction, with elaborate back/followup-stories and interviews. I like it... could really do some good expressing the point vs my idea which would only imply it... yes.... I like it.

Walgreens The only issue with this one is that individual did not have a CHP. I'm glad he wasn't charged with the shooting, but he did break the law, whether I/we agree with the law or not. Not the sort of thing that would look good when, what is basically a pro-gun propaganda film, comes under scrutiny. And it most definetly would.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 01:12:51 AM by wallace11bravo »

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 08:55:35 AM »
OH Yeah, FYI, That last lottery ticket was defective, just like all the others.  :(
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 09:54:28 AM »
NE bull, It had occurred to me to seek assistance from the NRA, but you raise an excellent point; if they already published the stories, then they had rights to them. DUR :-\

I recently was forced to watch a Micheal Moore movie in class. I have to say that the guy can churn out some propaganda, and alot of his points were valid. It sounds like NEbull/Sparky is thinking something in this direction, with elaborate back/followup-stories and interviews. I like it... could really do some good expressing the point vs my idea which would only imply it... yes.... I like it.

Walgreens The only issue with this one is that individual did not have a CHP. I'm glad he wasn't charged with the shooting, but he did break the law, whether I/we agree with the law or not. Not the sort of thing that would look good when, what is basically a pro-gun propaganda film, comes under scrutiny. And it most definetly would.

The idea is a good one but thowing too many situations at the film can make it hard to have a consistant theme; take a look at Bowling for Columbine, though it was not based in any facts or at least not the conclusions, it looked at a singular issue/instance.

If you can get something put together and have a draft of a screenplay I may know of some funding sources, but they would need to see a strong start to a project before being willing to get involved.  There are people and organizations that fund projects dealing with pro 2A issues, research, and publications that I have a few contacts with, and they have more.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 12:38:37 PM »
How about two stories.  One where a firearm was used successfully in SD, and one where the legal inability to defend using a firearm (NO Weapons zone) prevented SD?

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Waltherfan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 03:31:42 PM »
There were a couple of school shootings that were stopped by gun owners. In at least one of those cases the good guy had to go to his car to get his weapon. Also don't forget the Colorado church shooting and the lady that prevented it from being a lot worse.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 07:40:47 PM »

I beg to differ. He did not break the law and he was not charged because his actions were legal. Just because he did not have a CHP does not mean that his actions were illegal.

Read the Affirmative defense statutes and the State Constitution if you need a refresher on the right to self defense
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 08:33:06 PM »
I beg to differ. He did not break the law and he was not charged because his actions were legal. Just because he did not have a CHP does not mean that his actions were illegal.

Read the Affirmative defense statutes and the State Constitution if you need a refresher on the right to self defense

The Omaha city prosecutor, Conboy, said...

http://www.wowt.com/news/headlines/92813334.html
It was the surveillance video played from that night that convinced City Prosecutor Conboy there was no concealed weapon case. "My decision is based on the fact that our statute requires conclusive proof that the gun was not capable of being seen. Not only that nobody saw it, but that the gun was not capable of being seen possibly by anyone," he said.

In the video, Conboy said, "(McCullough) is able to produce (the gun) very quickly and knew right away where it was. So it was obviously in a place where normal movements would have exposed it potentially. And if that's the case, we can't go forward."

I have no doubt that Conboy was chomping at the bit to charge him with carrying a concealed weapon without a permit,.  However, they knew that the NRA, SAF, NFOA, and all the pro-2A folks sick of the crime in Omaha would be crawling up their posterior waste dispensing chute should they go forward with it.

Fly
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 08:46:13 PM by OnTheFly »
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 09:21:16 PM »

My mistake, I was out of town for the past several years and did not keep up well with the local news. The last I had heard is that he was charged. Thanks for setting me straight! The story is added to the list!

« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 12:00:11 AM by wallace11bravo »