< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: The "Buying Spree 2012" has begun  (Read 4659 times)

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
The "Buying Spree 2012" has begun
« on: March 05, 2012, 08:43:54 PM »
It has begun.  Many, if not most dealers are getting real thin on 5.56x45 and 7.62x39 and other calibers too, along with magazines. 

Aim Surplus: "I am out of Wolf .223, Federal .223, PMC .223, PMC ss109, i had 4 SKUs of 7.62x39 last month, only 1 from here on out.  Things are already tough"

Cope's Distributing: "19 Skids of 54r. in 2 1/2 Days last week. All of our Federal .223/556 is gone. 7.62x39 Bulgarian gone in 2 days... Yes they are buying in huge qtys. Hell we are seeing it in AR15 magazines. We are averaging 2000 plus every 2 1/2 weeks.. We have now upped our order to 2000 per week on ar15 magazines. We have been out of AK-47 Magazines for 4 weeks. Just got 1000 in today and will probably be out by the end of the week. Korean Beta Mags are being bought up 50 at a time and AK Drums the same way.  Just a take on what we are seeing."

I have personally been watching the bulk ammo prices since Thanksgiving, and prices have been steadily climbing to the point where most is 10-20% higher now, if you can find it in stock.  Shipping costs are also being bumped up with the rising fuel costs(not just for shipping to you, but getting it to the retailer as well).  I don't reload, yet(yeah, I'm a dummy  :-[ ) but I hear component prices are going up pretty fast too.
So, just an FYI folks... I don't want to sound like Chicken Little here, but if you are thinking about stocking up on your favorite caliber of ammo, and it's a few other's favorite caliber too, you may just want to get some.  NOW!

Anyone remember 1k round cases of Wolf going for $300+ back in early 2009?  How about  the $175 stripped AR lowers?  It will probably get that bad, or worse.

If it doesn't... well... stored properly, most modern ammo will be good for 20+ years and your grandkids can shoot it.   ;D
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
Re: The "Buying Spree 2012" has begun
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 08:50:27 PM »
I will be paying CDNN a visit in my near future. Stock up on glock/ar mags while i can

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 02:13:54 PM »
wideners.com

do it now.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 02:23:42 PM »
Cheaper Than Dirt emailed an advertisement for M855 62 gr .223 Federal "on sale" for $10.99 per 20.  It was selling for $6.99 last month. 

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 03:36:19 PM »
Palmetto State Armory still has M193 for $5.99 per 20.  Ghost and I just did a (very small) group buy and got it for a hair over $0.31 per round, but ya'll missed out on that.  The boat has sailed!   ;D

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 06:25:53 PM »
There is no panic buying here.  No need to rush out and buy up everything before I can get to it.

Offline CliffD

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 08:36:22 PM »
A friend of mine is an Admin at gun-deals.com. He too recently has expressed concern about trends in lesser availability and rising prices.

For those unfamiliar with the site, they locate, list, monitor and maintain firearm related sale prices throughout the US. Every sale price listed has been verified. I've found some really good deals through him for 7.62X54R, 7.62X39 and 5.56/.223. Our local Cabela's shows up on the site once in awhile :)

If you're looking for the very best prices in ammo, you may want to give it a quick look.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 08:39:55 PM »
I'm vaguely familiar with http://www.gun-deals.com/ammo.php    :laugh:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 10:35:00 PM »
A buddy and I have been online looking around trying to find the best deals for reloading .223. Midway had the best price on bullets at $52 per thousand for pulled tracers, sold out within hours... Best prices on brass I am finding is about $55 per thousand of once shot military crimp. When we move in together in August we want to have about 10k rounds holed up. Oh boy, when I get older I'm going to be "that crazy gun nut down the street speaking of the apocalypse" 8)

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 06:43:38 AM »
Thanks for the wake up FarmerRick. I just bucked up the primer supply and noticed that some primers at Midway are starting to show up "out of stock". I guess this is just going to be a fact of life unless we can get the libs out of the white house next time around and that isn't looking good right now. Maybe that is driving this next wave of panic buying. Got caught with my stocks low last time and paid the price. Not this time.

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 09:29:02 AM »
Can someone help me understand that if the world is going to end in 2012, why are people stocking up on Ammo?   So if someone goes looking for food for thier 2 year old, the holed up people are going to shoot them so they can live a few weeks longer? 

I also remember when Obama came in office everyone soaked up the ammo supply, skyrocketed prices, and NOTHING happened.  As a matter of fact, gun laws have become much more liberal, and the legal successes of the NRA are at an all time high. 

Aliens, zombies, world war?  Well there will be plenty of guns and ammo on the street, far superior to anything us civilians can own or stock.  Because the military and police will be the front line and if needed we can step in behind them, pick up thier far superior fire power, and continue on.

I swear people just like to do this for fun and look for reasons to buy the stuff up.  Like a game or something.

Now, with that said I plan to stock up only because I know prices will go out of control, therefore I myself contribute to the problem as well. 

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 10:14:05 AM »
Can someone help me understand that if the world is going to end in 2012, why are people stocking up on Ammo?   So if someone goes looking for food for thier 2 year old, the holed up people are going to shoot them so they can live a few weeks longer? 

I also remember when Obama came in office everyone soaked up the ammo supply, skyrocketed prices, and NOTHING happened.  As a matter of fact, gun laws have become much more liberal, and the legal successes of the NRA are at an all time high. 

Aliens, zombies, world war?  Well there will be plenty of guns and ammo on the street, far superior to anything us civilians can own or stock.  Because the military and police will be the front line and if needed we can step in behind them, pick up thier far superior fire power, and continue on.

I swear people just like to do this for fun and look for reasons to buy the stuff up.  Like a game or something.

Now, with that said I plan to stock up only because I know prices will go out of control, therefore I myself contribute to the problem as well.

I'm an Eagle Scout and live by the motto, Be Prepared. I'm not going out of my way to spend my life savings on stuff, instead of saving for more guns I am getting more items for the few (haha) guns I have. Do I believe "stuff" is gonna get real, some days I do some days I don't. Either way all these record gun/ammo buying numbers are bringing awareness to our 2nd Amendment issues. God Bless America!

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 04:06:23 PM »
Budsgunshop.com posted on their facebook that they sold 5x more guns last month than the February after Obama was elected  :o Definitely some spree going on

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 05:55:47 PM »
Will the world end on Dec. 21, 2012?  Nobody knows.  I would bet money on that it won"t.  What I do know is that the moon as a lot of effect on nature.  Ask any fishing person or hunter.  Mainly 3 days before and after a full moon.  What is the 3 day before and after the full moon = 15,400 years (+ or -) for everything to line up like the Mayan's says?  I don't know.  But I feel something will happen.  With all earthquakes and solar flairs like in the past couple of years, which I attribute to the Mayan's.  And giving of the world tensions, we could see civil revolt like overseas.  Really do hope we don't see it, but if diesel gets 6 to 8 bucks a gal, and the stores aren't as stocked as today, people will panic. But my wife says I don't know what I'm talking about.  Just my opinion, and hope it's wrong.

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 06:30:24 PM »
Well of course something is going to happen, if 9/11 occured close to dec 21, 2012 then people would say the mayan's predicted.
Something is always happening,and it will be independent of that date.  People will chose to associate it with that date.

The only thing that scares me is people can make things happen out of fear.  However, given Y2K nothing happened I am not too worried about it.

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 07:11:29 PM »
The only thing that scares me is people can make things happen out of fear.

Oil Speculation... Meh I hate filling up

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 08:45:54 PM »
My guesses:

1)  10% People thinking the Armageddon will happen this December
2)  50% People seeing the writing on the wall for the election: Gun-hater Romney or Gun-hater Obama.
3)  20% People that want a few thousand extra rounds "just because".
4)  20% People that shoot a LOT of ammo anyway and are always buying in large quantities.

I am a cross between #'s 2 and 3.

Offline WeldonHunter

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 09:32:03 PM »
Yes the buying spree is in the beginning stages and gaining momentum. Someone mentioned Bud's Gunshop. They sent out an email a little bit ago that was an "informational" email that warned of impending shortages and was full of scare tactics including stats about how many people were online at their website. Brownells sent a similar email as well as LuckyGunner starting last year after a certain piece of legislation was passed. The bottom line is people are getting edgy and fearing a repeat of 2008 no matter who is elected and it's feeding on itself. From what I've heard Lake City has stopped sales of 5.56 to the civilian market and PMC .223 is indefinitely backordered. Also prices on almost all calibers are on the rise starting about a month ago especially .223 and 9mm. It's happening and all I can suggest is make sure you have enough to get by until the election madness dies down and it'll all go back to normal when the dust settles. 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 10:15:27 PM by WeldonHunter »

Offline WeldonHunter

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 10:18:19 PM »

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 11:18:04 PM »
i am looking to buy ammo and AR parts... well because i need them!  but ill buy ammo so if the shelves stay empty, i might be able to sell some for some cash, but im mostly going to hoard it up after next week or so.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official