< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: I want opinions on reloading kits and setups  (Read 1740 times)

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
I want opinions on reloading kits and setups
« on: March 18, 2012, 10:37:20 AM »
after some long, hard thoughts i think i will jump into the reloading lifestyle.  i've read a few threads here, but im still don't know what to look for or where to start.  below are a few kits and setups and i want your opinions on what would suit me and my needs.  i don't see myself reloading every caliber i shoot, just the main ones.  i have looked at a few dies and accessories, but i think ill start with a kit and add as i go and get the hang of it.  a single stage is fine with me now.

i am looking to reload .223/5.56 and 300BLK mainly.  i might venture into reloading 9mm Luger or even 7.62x54r in the future.

Opinions on kits:
1. Lee Breech Lock Challenger Reloading kit

2. Hornady Lock N Load Classic

3. RCBS Reloader Special 5 Reloading Kit

4. RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Reloading Kit
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
Re: I want opinions on reloading kits and setups
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 11:52:29 AM »
I love my lee breech lock press. The breech lock bushing design is a great time saver except buying the locking ones for every set of dies gets expensive, still cheaper than hornady or rcbs. One of those kits, a reloading  book, dies, caliper, and case prep tools are all you need to get started. I upgraded to an rcbs chargemaster 1500 dispenser scale combo and loved it until I tried dispensing around 3.5gr of titegroup. It is now on its way back to rcbs and should get a new one within a couple weeks. I also bought the lyman case prep kit for about 50 or 60 bucks, nice prep tools that get the job done. And when you start reloading I recommend Hodgdon, IMR, and Winchester powder because www.hodgdon.com has load data for those powder brands.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 12:52:11 PM »
I started with a Lee (35th?) Anniversary kit more than a decade ago- the (Challenger?) press in it was not the best, though I loaded thousand and thousands of rounds with it ... I replaced it with a Redding press that I found on sale at Cabela's for less than the Lee Classic Cast that I went to pick up there..... all the rest of the stuff that came with the kit still works just as well as it did the day I bought it.

My brother bought a Lee Breech Lock kit last fall (after loading 2-3K rounds of 9mm with a hand press kit)  and I went out and helped him build a bench and set the kit up.... I liked it, and it worked well... we loaded a couple hundred rounds on it the first day......

He mangaged to break the primer feed dealy bobber for on-the-press priming (dropped it on the concrete floor) a couple months later .... now he is back to the Lee hand priming tool, which I like better, as it gives you a better "feel" when seating primers......

I'd buy it, if I needed to start from scratch- though I don't need the breech lock bushings- I set the dies up every time, by the instructions- just the way I've always done it...... YMMV.

I have or have used reloading tools/dies from every maker I've heard of except Forster...... IMHO, Lee usaully offers the best value, and some of their stuff (trim guage/cutter/lock stud chucked into a 3/8" drill, Collet neck sizing dies, Factory Crimp dies) are better than others stuff at any price, at least for my needs.

ETA: If you want help getting set-up, started reloading, I'm not terribly far from Lincoln.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 01:08:08 PM by JimP »
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 08:42:58 PM »
any final other opinions?  im going to Cabela's Wednesday morning and ill get a final look before i buy something.  i might be picking up some primers and powder.

what kind of primers are on .223/5.56, 300BLK and 9mm Luger?  how can you tell what size you need?
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 09:37:00 PM »
.223 and .300 blk use small rifle, 9mm uses small pistol.  Your fire breathing Mosin will use large rifle.

I'm a fan of Lee stuff, especially their dies.  For the most part it works well and isn't too expensive. 

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 10:22:58 PM »
Start with the kee kit, they go on sale at cabelas, but get a different scale.  The beam scale is prone to errors.

Afteryou reload a lot, only then invest in high end stuff.