< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Girls and Hunter's Safety  (Read 3226 times)

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Girls and Hunter's Safety
« on: March 18, 2012, 01:57:50 PM »
Took my daughter out to get used to something more than a .22 and .410 before she takes her Hunter Safety next month (NE Game and Parks hosting a for Women, by Women Hunter/BowHunter Combo class at the Platte River Heritage Park see website for details) 
Her uncle brought up his Ithaca Featherlite 20 ga., we threw on a recoil pad. Wow, made for a painless combo.  I taught her good stance, the best I could. After a few practice shots on the ground to get use to function and recoil, we threw some clays.  And wouldn't ya know it, the girl hit the first one up!   ;D  Now with shotgunning under her belt and a sore shoulder to prove it, she has become quite the young woman.  :'(

“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
Re: Girls and Hunter's Safety
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 02:27:56 PM »
Sorry I didn't get a class organized quickly enough for you.  I'm hoping to have one the first week of April (before Youth Turkey Season) at Westside Church on 150th and Dodge.

I'll post up here when I get it scheduled.

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 05:54:20 PM »
No problem Mud, this all ladies one is just too good an opportunity to pass up, and she will get the Bowhunter certificate too. ( She enjoys archery, also)
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 09:39:35 PM »
That Ithaca looks very much like my Eldest's Remington !..... well, almost .... there's an adjustable choke on hers....

Mud, How young do you take 'em?  ..... I have 9y.o. boy that wants very badly to hunt turkeys this fall...... he'll be 10 in November.....
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 11:12:32 PM »
JimP. The youngun doesn't need a HS certificate until 12. 

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 07:37:50 AM »
That Ithaca looks very much like my Eldest's Remington !..... well, almost .... there's an adjustable choke on hers....

Mud, How young do you take 'em?  ..... I have 9y.o. boy that wants very badly to hunt turkeys this fall...... he'll be 10 in November.....

They can be certified when they're 11.  Your son can hunt turkeys this fall as long as he is accompanied by an adult.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 08:36:22 AM »
Jeremy, you won't have to worry about chasing off boyfriends if she outshoots them all.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 07:42:30 PM »
Jeremy, you won't have to worry about chasing off boyfriends if she outshoots them all.

I've tucked away my daughter's first targets for that very reason.

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 10:12:39 PM »
Hmmm "lightbulb" When her first date arrives, I'll have be be sure SHE is sitting at the table cleaning HER guns.  >:D  That should take care of any issues.  OH, and remind the boy he needs to have her home early so she can butcher the  deer she shot the day before.  That should weed out the faint and ill hearted.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 12:15:39 AM »
I have been planning for my daughter's first date since she was a baby.  I will be sitting at the kitchen table, cleaning my handgun.  When he comes in the house, and the wife introduces me to my daughter's date, I will simply look at him, nod, and let the slide close with a loud crack.  After a few seconds of slowly wiping down the gun and staring at the young man, I will say "If she's late coming home, I'm not coming looking for her, I'm looking for you."

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 09:36:46 AM »
Hmmm "lightbulb" When her first date arrives, I'll have be be sure SHE is sitting at the table cleaning HER guns.  >:D  That should take care of any issues.  OH, and remind the boy he needs to have her home early so she can butcher the  deer she shot the day before.  That should weed out the faint and ill hearted.

Carefull there, that would bring an automatic marriage proposal in large parts of the state.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 10:32:43 AM »

you know this could backfire... what if she dates a guy who loves guns as much as you do?  he might want to go to the range and go shooting with you!  and when you go to the range he brings his dad's vintage WWII 1911 or new custom long range 308?  what then?
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline gsd

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 12:12:41 PM »
tell her she can marry him?

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 02:21:51 PM »
you know this could backfire... what if she dates a guy who loves guns as much as you do?  he might want to go to the range and go shooting with you!  and when you go to the range he brings his dad's vintage WWII 1911 or new custom long range 308?  what then?
Well, then this family MAY have to revert back to Arranged Marriages  ;)
And the wedding reception would be a HOOT!  :laugh:
A "shotgun wedding" would come to mean something totally different!  :P

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 02:28:59 PM »
Well, then this family MAY have to revert back to Arranged Marriages  ;)
And the wedding reception would be a HOOT!  :laugh:
A "shotgun wedding" would come to mean something totally different!  :P

How old is she?  I have an 11 year-old boy.

What kind of dowry are you planning to offer? :D

Offline gsd

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 06:51:28 PM »
I can see it now...

in the year 2022, NEBull and Mudinyeri would like to announce the engagement of their kids. LOL

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 07:46:41 PM »
I can see it now...

in the year 2022, NEBull and Mudinyeri would like to announce the engagement of their kids. LOL

With a 21 gun salute!  LOL

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 02:02:28 PM »
Well, then this family MAY have to revert back to Arranged Marriages 
And the wedding reception would be a HOOT! 
A "shotgun wedding" would come to mean something totally different! 

I seem to recall there was a wedding my wife went to that had the reception at a local range (Lincoln Ikes?) and they shot a round of trap before the dinner ..... talk about a shotgun wedding!

Wedding colors were black, white and Mossy Oak.....

As for the boyfriend coming over ..... BTDT .... his momma still won't let me take him shooting.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2012, 03:30:23 PM »
WHEW! she passed! Because of the impending storms, the instructors pushed thought the class and tests and got us out of there..

Was a pretty good class for the ladies. (A little man bashing, but mostly well founded ;) )