< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Turn around time for Concealed Handgun Permit Application  (Read 10821 times)

Offline Aldo

• Ever vigilant. Ever ready. Ever willing. www.everreadyccw.com
  • NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
Re: Turn around time for Concealed Handgun Permit Application
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2009, 01:25:30 PM »
Snail mail sucks. After calling the state yesterday and being told they would re-issue my permit it shows up in the mail today. Does anybody know if this one is good or will they give me a new permit number?Never thought to ask while I was on the phone with them.Stupid me.(Guess good things Do come to those who wait.)
Ver-r-r-r-r-y interesting.

Hey, at least you have one in your paws today!!

At this point, perhaps just wait for the second one to arrive, and then check out the permit #.....if they're the same, then you have a duplicate (in which case, just hold onto it)...if they're different, then call them up and ask about it....the last thing you need is to be carrying the one that is invalid should you ever need to use it.

My guess is that the permit # will be the same.  But then again, I haven't yet won the state lottery on my guesses.  :D

Let us know what happens!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 01:27:58 PM by Aldo »
www.everreadyccw.com
"Always remember that you are Americans, and it is your birthright to dream great dreams in this sweet and blessed land, truly the greatest, freest, strongest nation on Earth." -- Ronald Reagan

Offline Aldo

• NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2009, 01:30:39 PM »
I called on 2-27 was told it was approved on the 26th.WooHoo. Its now the 6th and no permit. I called again today and they are going to send out a new one.At least I know its been approved.
Ditto on the congrats regarding the news, mtncrash1....and as Rule# .308 stated, welcome!  And it will feel even better once you have that red and white card in your hand!!  Sounds like it will be real, real soon.

I, too, encourage others to pursue their ccw training and then the subsequent application stage.  The more, the better.  Power is in the numbers. ;)

For ccw training, I found CZ and Roger at http://www.neccwtraining.com/ to be great in their 1-day training on a Saturday and for a very reasonable price.  My training back in '07 with them was in Lincoln.  I can't speak for them, but maybe they would also do something custom for folks outside of Lincoln.  If you check out their site, you'll see they're also arranging for the Utah non-resident training class.  Their current NE ccw class also serves as fulfilling the training requirements for the Florida non-resident ccw permit.

Happy carrying, mtncrash1....way cool  8)

I can speak for us! Yes I travel all over to teach classes. I am teaching a class in Omaha this weekend, have been as far west as Sidney, and all over. I also do private classes in your home for those who want it.

Teaching a class in Syracuse here on the 22nd as well this month. The Utah part of our class is up and running, I have been to Utah and completed their certification.

Well, there you have it!!  "Have CZ will travel" (sounds like that tv show "Have gun will travel"). :)

Ya won't go wrong with CZ...and there's no kickback to me for this free advertising!  ;D
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 01:31:48 PM by Aldo »
www.everreadyccw.com
"Always remember that you are Americans, and it is your birthright to dream great dreams in this sweet and blessed land, truly the greatest, freest, strongest nation on Earth." -- Ronald Reagan

Offline Mike M.

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2009, 04:04:11 PM »
Going to call agai Monday and tell them and see what they want me to do.As slow as they are down there they probably havent done anything yet so might be able to stop them from doing the re-issue.Will let you know the outcome. Would be some good info for the future maybe.
Mike

USAF 82-88, American Legion, NFOA,  NRA

Offline Mike M.

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2009, 03:53:40 PM »
FYI called the state today and was told they scewed up and put the wrong address on my paperwork and sent it right back out as soon as they got it back. So was legal this whole time.
Mike

USAF 82-88, American Legion, NFOA,  NRA

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2009, 03:53:47 PM »
Anybody know how many permits there are now?  My BIL just took his class...... more and more people I know are getting them!
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Aldo

• NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2009, 08:50:51 AM »
Anybody know how many permits there are now?  My BIL just took his class...... more and more people I know are getting them!
The permit # on each permit in the upper left corner has the year followed by a number; it is that last set of numbers that would help provide that answer.  Perhaps the ones who recently received their permits would share that last set of numbers.

On the net I've been hearing it's around 4700+.
www.everreadyccw.com

Offline melbell

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2009, 07:22:53 AM »
Just a quick update, Mr. Melbell and I applied mid July for our permits and got them 3 weeks to the day after we applied!

I mean mid June!  Not mid July!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 07:25:29 AM by melbell »

Offline Mosin

• NFOA Full Member
  • Go ahead make my day!
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2009, 12:39:50 PM »
Good for you Warhorse!  It is a different feeling to have it on you in public but you will get comfortable with it.  If you make it part of your every day items.  You will miss it when you don't have it.  Carry smart and carry a long time!

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2009, 04:56:21 PM »
I must be missing something here.  The original CHP Act said the NSP had five days to issue the permit after background check was done (or something along those lines).  I applied January 3rd, 2007, and had mine in my hand January 11th.  I don't understand why so many are taking so long now.  I would think the initial rush would have been over long ago and things would be moving much more quickly now than they did in the beginning.  Now, LB430 gives them 45 days?  Why do they need that much time?  What has changed?

Anyone?  Anyone?
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline JebM

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2009, 05:07:47 PM »
A&H: "The original CHP Act said the NSP had five days to issue the permit after background check was done (or something along those lines)."

It doesn't specify when they start the background check.  So they put that off until they have time and then run it.  That's why it needed to be changed.  With the 45 day rule it all has to be done in the 45 days.

It's gubmint, that's enough reason why it takes so long.

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2009, 05:31:34 PM »
JebM:

I realize there was no prescribed time for the background check, and therefore it could be however long they wanted it to be.  Still, why did it take so little time in the beginning, and so long now?  When it comes to background checks, a permit to purchase a handgun only takes five days plus mailing time.  How can they justify it taking any longer for a CHP background check?  They check virtually the same things, dont' they?  Oh...it's gubmint...sorry...I forgot.  :(
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline wrenrj1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2009, 07:41:17 PM »
Working for the state I'll just tell you that every department is doing more with less to include NSP.  The legislature puts additional requirements on state agencies (just like the feds do to the states) but may not include the necessary funding to support additional personnel to do the work.  You say, ya, but it costs $100.00 so what does that money go to?  Good question, but if you ask your governor, NSP, etc. to see if CCW fees go directly to support the permit program, you'll be surprised.  I'll about guarantee there were no additional personnel assigned to the CCW permit process, just additional duties as assigned to civilian NSP employees.

On another note, I received my NE CCW permit today in only 28 days.  Great job NSP!

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2009, 08:02:59 PM »
I wouldn't know where to find it now, but there was a law passed once that basically made it so government could not charge more for a license or permit (to do anything) than was necessary to pay for the processing costs of the license/permit.  It didn't specify that all money collected go directly for that purpose.  It could conceivably go into the general fund which in turn would pay the people who did the processing.  It would be interesting to know just exactly how many manhours it takes to process a CHP.  I wouldn't think the actual time spent would be more than an hour or two for each.  Sure, the total time from beginning to end might be longer (waiting for responses from various agencies, etc.) but the employee would be working on another permit or doing something else in the mean time.

Offline Dtrain323i

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2009, 08:38:58 AM »
Mine took 3 weeks from sending the application out to getting the permit in the mail

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2009, 05:08:45 PM »
Lucky guys....it took nearly 3 months to get mine about 1 1/2 years ago.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2009, 05:35:32 PM »
Maybe the guys who took so long to get their permits back had dubious backgrounds that required more thorough investigation.  :)

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2009, 06:27:12 PM »
I want to know who actually approved Rick's permit ???, background check must not amount to much. >:D
The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2009, 07:29:23 PM »
Who, little old me?  I'm innocent!!!

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2009, 12:03:51 AM »
I applied for mine on August 14th. Shot a few emails back and forth with a nice lady named Stacy that wanted some more info from me (she needed to verify I had been a resident for at least 180 days) and haven't yet received it... Will letcha know when I do! :)

Offline huskergun

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2009, 08:25:44 PM »
Took me 3 weeks to get mine.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson.