< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Turn around time for Concealed Handgun Permit Application  (Read 10820 times)

Offline WarHorse1961

• Powder Benefactor
Turn around time for Concealed Handgun Permit Application
« on: February 17, 2009, 08:37:33 PM »
I applied 12/29/2008. Just curious what the turn around time has been. Getting antsy. :)

Offline Jesse T

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • XD Shooter
Re: Turn around time for Concealed Handgun Permit Application
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 08:23:16 AM »
Mine was around 1 month I believe... 3-6 weeks I'd guess?
N0ZXR

tonopah

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 03:15:34 PM »
Mine took about 6 weeks also.

Offline Aldo

• Ever vigilant. Ever ready. Ever willing. www.everreadyccw.com
  • NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 04:10:52 PM »
6 weeks to the day.

That was back in March '07, and the office folks at that time told me it would take 6 weeks, and they meant it.  When I took my CCW from CZ and Roger just prior to that, they told our class the wait time was 4 weeks.

Recently talked to someone who took their CCW, and the office folks told him that it would be 10 weeks.

LB430 would mandate 30 days max.

Give 'em a call and see what they tell you.

www.everreadyccw.com
"Always remember that you are Americans, and it is your birthright to dream great dreams in this sweet and blessed land, truly the greatest, freest, strongest nation on Earth." -- Ronald Reagan

Offline Mike M.

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 06:01:32 PM »
Sent mine in Jan 12 and still waiting.
Mike

USAF 82-88, American Legion, NFOA,  NRA

Offline WarHorse1961

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 07:47:03 PM »
Thanks everyone. I think I'll give them 10 weeks then start hounding them.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 09:45:38 PM »
6-8 weeks is the current timeframe.

LB 430 needs to fix this!!!! 30 days is plenty of time for NSP to do a background check and issue the permit.

Offline Rule#.308

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 11:02:45 PM »
I had mine in a little over a month but I think Sarpy county is a little quicker than Douglas or Lancaster.  The reason they originally said 6 weeks was because they thought there would be a flood of applications.  With only 4,700 (approx.) the flood has proven to be a trickle.  I don't think the NSP is dragging their feet, more than likely the local constabulary is, especially if they were cold or even luke warm to the law in the first place.
Don't pick a fight with an old man.  If he's to old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 01:59:10 AM »
The County that you live in makes no difference.

The St. Patrol offices that process the permits also process background checks for day-care providers.

So it all depends on work load.
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 05:21:02 AM »
I had mine in a little over a month but I think Sarpy county is a little quicker than Douglas or Lancaster.  The reason they originally said 6 weeks was because they thought there would be a flood of applications.  With only 4,700 (approx.) the flood has proven to be a trickle.  I don't think the NSP is dragging their feet, more than likely the local constabulary is, especially if they were cold or even luke warm to the law in the first place.

Concealed carry permit takes 6-8 weeks.

Handgun purchase permit is county specific, and usually takes only a couple days

Offline WarHorse1961

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 08:54:44 PM »
It arrived today. Woohoo!  ;D

Offline Aldo

• NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 09:22:32 PM »
It arrived today. Woohoo!  ;D
Happy carrying!!  8)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 09:23:34 PM by Aldo »
www.everreadyccw.com
"Always remember that you are Americans, and it is your birthright to dream great dreams in this sweet and blessed land, truly the greatest, freest, strongest nation on Earth." -- Ronald Reagan

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 09:49:32 PM »
Congrats!  8)

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
Twenty Three Days
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 10:41:12 PM »
That was my reply also after receiving mine. Cherish it and exercise your Right often.

Wow it took only 23 days!

That was quick mine took six weeks.

Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline Mike M.

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2009, 05:03:47 PM »
Congrats Warhorse. That means mine should be comming soon also.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 03:08:35 PM by mtncrash1 »
Mike

Offline Mike M.

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 03:07:26 PM »
I called on 2-27 was told it was approved on the 26th.WooHoo. Its now the 6th and no permit. I called again today and they are going to send out a new one.At least I know its been approved.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 03:09:04 PM by mtncrash1 »
Mike

Offline Rule#.308

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009, 09:11:51 PM »
Congratulations and welcome to a select group in gaining your permit.

I hope the positive conversations on this and other forums will encourage others, who are qualified, to take the training and apply for their permits.  It is only when we exercise our rights that we keep our rights.

If cost is an issue, then shop around for an instructor who is willing to work with you price wise.  When I took my training, we located an instructor (we being five) who agreed to lower his fee, as well as do it in one long Saturday.  We started at 7am and worked through the sacked lunches we each brought and finished up on the firing range very late in early November.  Oh, and it helps being an NRA member when negotiating with an instructor.

If you're interested, talk about it with some friends and see who else may be interested, you may end up with a group then all you have to do is get squared away with an instructor.
It did me well to have talked with a good friend and three other guys who commited to a date and it all went.  It was a win, win situation for everyone involved.

Don't pick a fight with an old man.  If he's to old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Offline Aldo

• NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2009, 11:14:55 PM »
I called on 2-27 was told it was approved on the 26th.WooHoo. Its now the 6th and no permit. I called again today and they are going to send out a new one.At least I know its been approved.
Ditto on the congrats regarding the news, mtncrash1....and as Rule# .308 stated, welcome!  And it will feel even better once you have that red and white card in your hand!!  Sounds like it will be real, real soon.

I, too, encourage others to pursue their ccw training and then the subsequent application stage.  The more, the better.  Power is in the numbers. ;)

For ccw training, I found CZ and Roger at http://www.neccwtraining.com/ to be great in their 1-day training on a Saturday and for a very reasonable price.  My training back in '07 with them was in Lincoln.  I can't speak for them, but maybe they would also do something custom for folks outside of Lincoln.  If you check out their site, you'll see they're also arranging for the Utah non-resident training class.  Their current NE ccw class also serves as fulfilling the training requirements for the Florida non-resident ccw permit.

Happy carrying, mtncrash1....way cool  8)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 11:21:04 PM by Aldo »
www.everreadyccw.com

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2009, 03:45:36 AM »
Ditto on the congrats regarding the news, mtncrash1....and as Rule# .308 stated, welcome!  And it will feel even better once you have that red and white card in your hand!!  Sounds like it will be real, real soon.

I, too, encourage others to pursue their ccw training and then the subsequent application stage.  The more, the better.  Power is in the numbers. ;)

For ccw training, I found CZ and Roger at http://www.neccwtraining.com/ to be great in their 1-day training on a Saturday and for a very reasonable price.  My training back in '07 with them was in Lincoln.  I can't speak for them, but maybe they would also do something custom for folks outside of Lincoln.  If you check out their site, you'll see they're also arranging for the Utah non-resident training class.  Their current NE ccw class also serves as fulfilling the training requirements for the Florida non-resident ccw permit.

Happy carrying, mtncrash1....way cool  8)

I can speak for us! Yes I travel all over to teach classes. I am teaching a class in Omaha this weekend, have been as far west as Sidney, and all over. I also do private classes in your home for those who want it.

Teaching a class in Syracuse here on the 22nd as well this month. The Utah part of our class is up and running, I have been to Utah and completed their certification.

Offline Mike M.

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2009, 10:12:43 AM »
Snail mail sucks. After calling the state yesterday and being told they would re-issue my permit it shows up in the mail today. Does anybody know if this one is good or will they give me a new permit number?Never thought to ask while I was on the phone with them.Stupid me.(Guess good things Do come to those who wait.)
Mike