< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: 9MM can?  (Read 2327 times)

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
9MM can?
« on: February 18, 2009, 08:46:08 AM »
I was just wondering how well a suppressor would work on a 9mm? I would really love to pick up a threaded barrel and can for a Glock 17.

Any input on this from the experts here?

I want one handgun with a can, and I'm trying to decided if I want a .22 or a 9mm.

Offline Ram Ringer

• NFOA Full Member
Re: 9MM can?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 10:52:24 AM »
I have never used a suppressor on a handgun, but I know a few people that have them on .22's and they seem to work great.  AWC Systems Technology out of Arizona sales them for .22, 9mm, and 45 auto.  website is www.awcsystech.com

"The Most Important Political Office Is That Of The Private Citizen"  Louis Brandeis

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 09:00:42 PM »
Depends upon the use. if one needs to remove a lot of small pest animals around the farm or the in city home yard then a .22lr with screw on silencer would get used the most.

If you are needed a larger punch then the 9mm silencer on the handgun and rifle would fit the bill and still be plenty quiet.

Of course a .22lr cartridge can be fired through a 9mm silencer.  One of these days I will shoot my Evolution 9 on my Walther P22 and see how it sounds.  I have shot .22lr from rifles through a larger 9mm subgun can and it is plenty of quiet.

Just have not tried a 9mm handgun silencer on a .22lr pistol.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline schoolcop

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 03:08:21 PM »
I have a Gem-Tech Outback silencer on my Walther P-22 and love it. Brings noise levels to an acceptable "pop". Not as quiet as I thought it would be. To much TV I suppose where the gun is completely silent with a silencer on. It does throw the point of impact off slightly but you can still take out rabbits at 25ft or more.

Offline Dark Helmet

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 10:01:16 AM »
you need to go to www.silencertalk.com

I asked a question like this over there and was able to identify a unit that could work for both 22LR AND 9mm...

I'd link you to it except its blocked from work for some reason...

Offline Dark Helmet

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 05:33:44 PM »

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 03:02:17 AM »
I have a Gem-Tech Outback silencer on my Walther P-22 and love it. Brings noise levels to an acceptable "pop". Not as quiet as I thought it would be. To much TV I suppose where the gun is completely silent with a silencer on. It does throw the point of impact off slightly but you can still take out rabbits at 25ft or more.

When you for tactical yard rabbit removal missions need more quiet a small squirt of Wire Pulling Gell from any electrical hardware store will wet that silencer down and take out the first round pop.   Gemtech says water based wetting agents and cleaners corrode aluminum, but it smokes much less than oil based products.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger