< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: NFOA on KMTV - Omaha  (Read 1902 times)

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
NFOA on KMTV - Omaha
« on: March 21, 2012, 11:00:56 PM »
http://www.kmtv.com/news/local/143754886.html

Omaha News coverage on "Castle Doctrine," we push for civil imunity in cases of self defense.

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
Re: NFOA on KMTV - Omaha
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 11:12:34 PM »
Glad to see everything worked out for that man. And glad to see some publicity for the Castle Doctrine. Great work!

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 01:55:12 AM »
Kudos for the fella for defending his home.  While I'm sorry it came to that for him, I am glad for every chance we get to apply Castle Doctrine to a local news story. It goes a long way to add validation to what we are trying to accomplish.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 01:32:40 PM »
They sure put this story in confusing terms. "In Nebraska, you must feel your life is threatened and you can't retreat."

Oh boy, some people are totally twisting things here lol.

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 05:06:44 PM »
First, I have to say that isn't it interesting how a 45 minute interview is cut down to 14.5 seconds when it gets to air time?

Ya did great Andy, kudo's to you. 

But yes, this gets the issue air time, and not entirely negative air time which so often happens.  This one was a win for the citizens, it got a difficult issue some news coverage that we never could have gotten as an organization, and the gentleman didnt get hurt either (nor did the criminal). 

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 05:28:12 PM »
Ron the fun part is this started as an attempt to get me to be the "Gun Nut" commenting on the Florida shooting fiasco.  I took it as an opportunity to educate about our self defense laws and push for Civil Immunity, and took every or almost every question asked that direction.  She had the interview scheduled with The Douglas County Attorney after me that evening, then with the self defense shooting that night it kind of turned a story that would hurt us (which she didn't get anything from me that would do anything but sympathized with the victims family) and we got a story that supported out efforts.

I had several people comment to me today that they saw the story, all had comments about not knowing they could get sued if they defended themselves.  Even the biggest progressive I know saw the story and agreed with me that this needs to be fixed.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 06:14:49 PM »
i read that story.  it was good.  i went to college with the Liz girl, im glad she painted us in a good light.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 02:10:46 PM »
Ron the fun part is this started as an attempt to get me to be the "Gun Nut" commenting on the Florida shooting fiasco.  I took it as an opportunity to educate about our self defense laws and push for Civil Immunity, and took every or almost every question asked that direction.  She had the interview scheduled with The Douglas County Attorney after me that evening, then with the self defense shooting that night it kind of turned a story that would hurt us (which she didn't get anything from me that would do anything but sympathized with the victims family) and we got a story that supported out efforts.

Nice! Once again Andy NICE WORK!

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 12:40:08 PM »
Andy has a face made for television... ;D
Nice job of presenting a calm, reasonable view on the issue.

Greg58
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 12:10:13 AM »
I had several people comment to me today that they saw the story, all had comments about not knowing they could get sued if they defended themselves.  Even the biggest progressive I know saw the story and agreed with me that this needs to be fixed.

I think if we could just get our message out there, then this would be a slam dunk ..... Thank You for your efforts, Andy!

The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 07:12:59 AM »
i read that story.  it was good.  i went to college with the Liz girl, im glad she painted us in a good light.

She might be a little biased in a good way..... Liz's dad is a competitive shooter, so she grew up with guns.... Not very typical of a news media person  :-)