< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Federal 223 Brass  (Read 1665 times)

Offline Ram Ringer

• NFOA Full Member
Federal 223 Brass
« on: March 22, 2012, 05:22:59 PM »
I have some factory 223 once fired brass that I would like to reload, but when I deprimed the brass I noticed a little ring inside the primer hole which does not allow a new primer to be seated. Does anyone know how to remove this?

Thanks
"The Most Important Political Office Is That Of The Private Citizen"  Louis Brandeis

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
Re: Federal 223 Brass
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 05:35:42 PM »
Get a primer pocket reamer.  Hornady and others make'em.

You can even chuck it in a drill if ya wanna make it faster.

edit: this would be called a "crimped" primer btw
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 05:36:56 PM »
Sounds like mil-spec "crimped primer pockets" to me.

Google found me this: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/447022/rcbs-primer-pocket-swager-combo

The RCBS Primer Pocket Swager Combo quickly removes primer pocket crimp from military cases. Unlike reaming, the Pocket Swager Kit forms a perfectly round pocket that is the correct dimensions for American boxer-type primers. Combo comes with swaging heads for both large and small primer pockets. Not for use on progressive presses.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 06:26:55 PM »
Yep what the other 2 said. First time I reloaded that brass I ruined several primers trying to fit them into that itty bitty hole. Bought the lyman case prep kit and voila, much better priming.

Offline sparky0068

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 07:20:06 PM »
Ream it and go.  beware some of the flash holes are off-center, and if you try to roll crimp while seating the bullet the shoulder may collapse.  I have quite a few with crushed shoulders, i'm going to switch from roll crimp to collet crimp.
KD0LKT

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 08:30:28 PM »
I use a 45 degree countersink meant for a milling machine, chucked into a cordless drill.  It's probably not as consistent as swaging the pocket with a Dillon tool, but it's FAST.  It takes about the same time to drop the finished case and pick up a new one as it does to actually cut out the crimp.  Hit it with the drill and a little ring of brass comes flying off.

Offline Ram Ringer

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 09:13:02 PM »
Thanks for the help, Thats what I thought I needed. In fact I do have the military crimp remover attachments for the RCBS Trim Mate, but they never seem to remove the whole crimp. I will have to see about one of the swaging tools.

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 09:18:18 PM by Ram Ringer »
"The Most Important Political Office Is That Of The Private Citizen"  Louis Brandeis