< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Nebraska Legislature Places Right to Hunt and Fish Amendment on 2012 Ballot  (Read 2467 times)

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Nebraska Legislature Places Right to Hunt and Fish Amendment on 2012 Ballot

Posted on March 27, 2012

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/state-legislation/2012/03/nebraska-legislature-places-right-to-hunt-and-fish-amendment-on-2012-ballot.aspx?s&st&ps

Today, the Nebraska Legislature passed NRA-backed Legislative Resolution 40CA, the Right to Hunt and Fish constitutional amendment, by a 41 to 3 vote.  This action places this issue on the general election ballot this November.

Introduced by state Senator Pete Pirsch (NP-4), LR 40CA proposes an amendment to the Nebraska Constitution recognizing the citizens’ right to hunt and fish.  It would provide meaningful protections against the anti-hunting extremists who seek to ban all hunting in America.

Ratification by voters in the 2012 general election of this constitutional amendment will preserve Nebraska’s rich hunting and fishing heritage for future generations.  LR 40CA would also ensure that Nebraska’s wildlife continues to flourish because sportsmen have driven conservation for more than a century.

LR 40CA recognizes hunting, fishing and harvesting of wildlife as constitutional rights.  These rights are subject only to laws and rules that have the purpose of “wildlife conservation and management and preserving the future of hunting and fishing.”  Specifically, it prohibits regulations that would ban the use of “traditional methods” such as bow hunting or the sustainable taking of wildlife such as deer, elk and doves.  LR 40CA protects the citizen’s hunting heritage from attacks initiated by well-funded anti-hunting extremists who have assailed sportsmen throughout the country in recent years.  In addition, it specifies that hunting, fishing and harvesting of wildlife shall be used as a preferred means of managing and controlling wildlife.  This ensures that sportsmen will continue to be used as the state’s responsible game managers instead of the taxpayer-funded sharpshooters and unproven, expensive wildlife contraception schemes employed in other jurisdictions.

The time is NOW to protect Nebraska’s proud hunting and fishing heritage for generations to come.  Nebraska cannot wait for a crisis to occur or until the anti-hunting forces gain more power. Thank you to all who contacted their state legislators in support of the Right to Hunt and Fish in Nebraska.

Please promote this measure to your family, friends and fellow hunters across Nebraska as the 2012 general election approaches.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
I like how it passed with a 41-3 vote. Hopefully we see a similar result in November!

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
Not sure just how this Item ended up being worded on the Ballots
anyone know for sure ?

My mother (aged 75+) asked me about this Item on the Mail in Ballots

Seems several of her friends are not able to understand this on the ballots
or it's wording is confusing?

they are not real sure if they should Vote for or against it.
and then there are several that have told her Hunters they know are against it. 

« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 07:17:26 PM by Phantom »
"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

Offline lefty

• Powder Benefactor
  • KC0DA, NRA, USAF 57-61
Right to Hunt and Fish Amendment on 2012 Ballot
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 07:26:31 PM »
The official text of the measure as it will appear on the ballot:

A constitutional amendment to establish the right to hunt, to fish, and to harvest wildlife and to state that public hunting, fishing, and harvesting of wildlife shall be a preferred means of managing and controlling wildlife.

For __
Against __

http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/Nebraska_Hunting_and_Fishing_Amendment,_Amendment_2_(2012)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 07:28:48 PM by lefty »

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
if you like to hunt, trap and fish you are supposed to vote for it.  i am voting for it.  this gives us more protection against HSUS and PETA, etc.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
The official text of the measure as it will appear on the ballot:

A constitutional amendment to establish the right to hunt, to fish, and to harvest wildlife and to state that public hunting, fishing, and harvesting of wildlife shall be a preferred means of managing and controlling wildlife.

For __
Against __

Ayup I know this is {How} it's supposed to be .....But
are we sure thats how it actually is on the Mail in ballots for sure?

I was just wondering as it seems real straight forward to me
But like i said some of my Mothers older friends are having problems with it. (maybe the wording)

If they are having problems it could be this amendment will fail just due to poor understanding of it or the wording of it.

<sigh>

"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
if you like to hunt, trap and fish you are supposed to vote for it.  i am voting for it.  this gives us more protection against HSUS and PETA, etc.

Like i said above ......It's not me having the problem with it

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Exact wording on the ballot from here: http://www.sos.state.ne.us/elec/2012/pdf/State%20Constitutional%20Amendments%20Ballot.pdf

Proposed Amendment No. 2

A vote FOR this constitutional amendment
would set forth a constitutional right to hunt,
to fish, and to harvest wildlife and would
designate public hunting, fishing, and
harvesting of wildlife as a preferred means
of managing and controlling wildlife. The
right set forth by this constitutional
amendment would be subject to certain
laws, rules, and regulations, and this
constitutional amendment would not be
construed to modify current laws relating to
trespass or property right laws or
constitutional provisions pertaining to water.

A vote AGAINST this constitutional
amendment would result in the right to hunt,
to fish, and to harvest wildlife not being
added to the Constitution of Nebraska and
public hunting, fishing, and harvesting of
wildlife not being designated a preferred
means of managing and controlling wildlife.

A constitutional amendment to establish the
right to hunt, to fish, and to harvest wildlife
and to state that public hunting, fishing, and
harvesting of wildlife shall be a preferred

For        ___
Against ___
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline lefty

• Powder Benefactor
  • KC0DA, NRA, USAF 57-61
Sample ballot in our paper was the same Farmer Rick.

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
Aww OK now i see why it's a bit confusing ....

It would have been better like this

Proposed Amendment No. 2

A constitutional amendment to establish the
right to hunt, to fish, and to harvest wildlife
and to state that public hunting, fishing, and
harvesting of wildlife shall be a preferred

A vote FOR this constitutional amendment
would set forth a constitutional right to hunt,
to fish, and to harvest wildlife and would
designate public hunting, fishing, and
harvesting of wildlife as a preferred means
of managing and controlling wildlife. The
right set forth by this constitutional
amendment would be subject to certain
laws, rules, and regulations, and this
constitutional amendment would not be
construed to modify current laws relating to
trespass or property right laws or
constitutional provisions pertaining to water.

A vote AGAINST this constitutional
amendment would result in the right to hunt,
to fish, and to harvest wildlife not being
added to the Constitution of Nebraska and
public hunting, fishing, and harvesting of
wildlife not being designated a preferred

For        ___
Against ___

I think Printing it this way would have been a bit less confusing
....but then I don't do legalese well so what do i know.  ;D

« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 12:54:14 PM by Phantom »

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
Re: Nebraska Legislature Places Right to Hunt and Fish Amendment on 2012 Ballot
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 10:13:53 PM »
Well, the numbers I'm seeing on the news make it look like this is passing with nearly 3/4 of the vote. Good job folks!

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 08:31:56 AM »
HEY! we have guaranteed our right to hunt, fish, and harvest game here in Nebraska!  Sad turn of events, though, is that with the current make up in D.C. we may be doing so with sharp sticks and rocks, cause that's how they do it in Kenya, right?
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 09:22:38 AM »
We have a "guaranteed" right to bear arms in this state and look at the mountain we've had to climb to get a CHP and Omaha's continued defiance.....We shall see ....

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 04:38:02 PM »
It was nice to see this pass.

.... and in general, nice to see the outcome of the provisions / amendments pass (or not pass) as i voted them, too :)
hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2012, 08:41:10 PM »
While it's not bulletproof, this does provide us with some serious defense against HSUS.  Now that they have a Nebraska office they're planning on going hard after Nebraska agriculture, and if they had any success you can bet hunting would be next.  I'm just glad we have a governor who absolutely hates their guts.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2012, 08:34:19 AM »
I'm just glad we have a governor who absolutely hates their guts.

Only for two more years though.  Wondering what might happen in that race.  We can not allow Steve Lathrop to get in that office, and we know that is where he wants to go next.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2012, 08:36:40 AM »
Has anyone seen what they have already done with hog farming? They couldn't get their anti-farrowing crate agenda through legislative means, so the turned to the packing houses.  The HSUS and CO. have applied enough pressure, that these companies have now come down on the pork producer/ farmers. The packing houses have given their producer suppliers 5 years to come up with a sustainable plan to do away with the farrowing crate style operations and 10 years to implement said plan.  (Info from the last story I saw on the news). Like the farmer they interviewed stated and I paraphrase : "If you think pork (think BACON) is expensive now, you just wait." There will be the cost of essentially rebuilding a whole operation, not to mention the loss of sows and piglets at the hands (mouths) of other sows. Anyone that as ever been around hogs knows how mean they can be.  Farrowing crates are there, not only for efficiency, but also for the hog's safety.   Frankly speaking, if these yahoos think they can mess with my Bacon and Breakfast sausage, I'm here to tell ya, they are gonna have a nasty brawl on their hands.  >:D >:D >:D

Moral to my rant, We have to watch these special interest groups as they will come at us from all angles.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane