< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: I discussed LB430 with Senator Ashford last night  (Read 1096 times)

Offline PhilK

• NFOA Full Member
  • xxx
I discussed LB430 with Senator Ashford last night
« on: February 20, 2009, 09:14:30 AM »
I attended in ?Informational meeting to discuss matters important to you and your family? with Senator Brad Ashford (chairman of the Judiciary Committee) last night.  There were ten citizens, the Senator, and an associate (aide?) of his in attendance.

I spent most of my time listening to Senator Ashford update everyone on LB403 (immigration), LB35 / LB63 (crime prevention / intervention), and the anticipated use of Federal ?Stimulus? funds for various activities.  The majority of the people present were interested in immigration issues.

I brought up the subject of LB430, explaining the original Concealed Carry Act to those present and the ?patchwork? of laws that exist now.  I further discussed the confusion that has arisen from the recent opinion of the Attorney General stating that state law preempts local bans on the carry of concealed weapons.

Senator Ashford was most accommodating and was able to speak with reasonable accuracy on the subject.  He stated that he was ?in favor of concealed carry? and favorable to the idea of safe passage laws that allow one to bring a firearm though otherwise prohibited areas.

I then explained some of the consequences of the Attorney General?s opinion:   Kearney repealed its ordinance on January 27, Beatrice has left its ordinance on the books but has stated they will not enforce it, the Hastings City Council has stated they will wait to see what the Unicameral does, and the Columbus city attorney is quoted in the Columbus Telegram stating, ?right now (current city code) is enforceable and is being enforced.?   Senator Ashford was very puzzled by Columbus? position rhetorically asking, ?What?s wrong with Columbus??

Senator Ashford stated that he would support LB430 both in committee and on the floor.  When I asked if he could help move it along out of committee, his response was that they ?have a lot of bills? in committee and that ?Mark (Christensen) is not pushing the bill.?

I found Senator Ashford to articulate in expressing his thoughts and open minded to the opinions of others.  He did, as good politicians do, tend to want to do most of the talking and control of the context or ?framing? of the topics discussed. 

Interestingly, all the people present who expressed an opinion on concealed carry were in favor of it.

End of report.

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: I discussed LB430 with Senator Ashford last night
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 09:38:09 AM »
Thanks for attending and speaking, PhilK!

Ashford is a slippery one, and while I'm sure he was accommodating last night, I won't forget how "accommodating" and "open minded" he was in past public hearings in the unicam.

The fact that he said he was "in favor of concealed carry" makes me laugh.

Thanks for the report, very interesting...

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 03:22:42 PM »
HMMMMM.... I am confused as to why Mark Christensen is not pushing his own bill.

Sounds like we all need to ask him.

I will email him now
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 03:34:45 PM by Dan W »
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Aldo

• Ever vigilant. Ever ready. Ever willing. www.everreadyccw.com
  • NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 09:20:33 PM »
Hey, Phil, thanks very much for taking the time to attend that session and participate and then report back to all of us.  Greatly appreciated!

I don't know Ashford from any past experience, and so in light of what you and Jay are both saying, I am definitely confused.  Was Ashford being sincere, or just getting by?  It would be nice if his verbal position last night was for the record via a newspaper article or other public written venue so that he can be held accountable a bit more than just what he could say later on is hearsay.

It will be good to hear from Sen Christensen.  Dan W, keep us posted.  Might not be bad for others to also contact Sen Christensen to nudge him along.
www.everreadyccw.com
"Always remember that you are Americans, and it is your birthright to dream great dreams in this sweet and blessed land, truly the greatest, freest, strongest nation on Earth." -- Ronald Reagan

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
LB430 Co-Sponsored By Senator Christensen Senator Janssen
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 10:24:28 PM »
Mark Christensen,  christensen@leg.ne.gov   Charlie Janssen, cjanssen@leg.ne.gov

Let us write both of these as well as your regional Unicameral Senators.

Some excerts from my email.

LB430 Being the highest on our priority list. As you may know, there has been little press on the bill content.
This could be a good or bad thing.

Senator Brad Ashford Chairman of the Judiciary committee whom in the past has been quite vocal as an anti-firearm Senator.
 While speaking at an Omaha Westside High school public meeting when asked his opinion on LB430.

?Senator Ashford stated that he would support LB430 both in committee and on the floor. When asked if he could help move it along out of committee, his response was that they ?have a lot of bills? in committee and that ?Mark (Christensen) is not pushing the bill?.                       

Senator this is a very well written bill and I commend you and Senator Janssen on this bill.
The only thing that could approve it would be Castle Doctrine (also known as a Castle Law or a Defense of Habitation Law
We as an Organization have great concern if it LB430 is even going to get to committee.
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775