< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: CMP rimfire sporter at the Lincoln Ikes  (Read 1554 times)

Offline sparky0068

• NFOA Full Member
CMP rimfire sporter at the Lincoln Ikes
« on: April 10, 2012, 12:15:56 PM »
This Saturday starting at 11:00 after the vintage military shoot.

This is verbatim off the CMP's website:

The CMP Rimfire Sporter Rifle Matches offers shooters a recreation-oriented competition where they use .22 caliber sporter rifles (plinking and small game rifles) commonly owned by almost all gun enthusiasts.  This is a unique match where all you need is a rifle and ammo. You fire with standard sporter-type rimfire rifles that can weigh no more than 7 ½ pounds, with sights and sling.  Rifles may be manually operated or semi-automatic; shooters with manually operated actions are given extra time in rapid-fire to compensate for the difference.

There are three classes of competition - the standard “O Class” for open-sighted rifles, “T-Class” for telescope sighted and rear aperture sighted rifles and “Tactical Rimfire” class, which is a .22 caliber A4 or AR15 style rifle. Firing for all classes is done at 50 and 25 yards on a target with a 1.78” ten-ring and an 18” outer one-ring.  Even new shooters can get hits on this target, but it’s still tough enough that no one yet has fired a perfect 600x600 score.

Rimfire sporter rules can be found at:

http://www.odcmp.com/Comm/Rimfire.pdf
KD0LKT

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: CMP rimfire sporter at the Lincoln Ikes
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 06:45:00 PM »
If you don't have a .22 that meets the rules go ahead and come out anyway.  We can always run an unofficial "Unlimited" class.

Offline Ivars

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 06:56:30 PM »
Been working on a rifle.  Got the trigger up to 3.5lb, the rifle down to 7.44lb with swivels but no sling.  Reading the rule book, it says 7.5lb without the sling.  I hope this is so because I've already cut three inches off of the barrel, removed the buttplate, and filled the stock holes with helium.

You guys might get lucky though, my nephew might shoot in my place :P

Offline sparky0068

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 07:10:16 PM »
The dominant rifle in the national matches is the CZ 452 military trainer, it weights 7.2lbs.
I will have two rifles in open sight class and one optic class with a rear aperture sight available for use, you pay for ammo and the use of the firearm is free.
KD0LKT

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 07:47:00 PM »
Been working on a rifle.  Got the trigger up to 3.5lb, the rifle down to 7.44lb with swivels but no sling.  Reading the rule book, it says 7.5lb without the sling.  I hope this is so because I've already cut three inches off of the barrel, removed the buttplate, and filled the stock holes with helium.

You guys might get lucky though, my nephew might shoot in my place :P

Holy cow, you're getting serious!  I just swapped barrels on my 10/22 and called it good.

Offline Ivars

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 07:05:14 AM »
Serious, No.  Frugal, yes.  Just reusing a 10/22 that hasn't seen much action in awhile.  No way to get a 20" bull barrel under 7.5lb, it had to go on a diet.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 07:54:14 AM »
Yeah, I had a 20" Green Mountain that was under 7.5 but it was fluted so it wasn't legal.  Too bad, because it was a nice barrel.  I swapped it out for a 16" Elysium bull barrel from J&G Sales and came out money ahead after I sold the 20".  I'm very happy with the new barrel, but it's really overkill for this match.  From prone I can easily hold the 10 ring at 50 yards even with my cheap Walmart Savage MkII. 

Hopefully the weather will cooperate. We're supposed to get some rain this weekend, so make sure you bring a shooting mat, tarp, etc so you don't have to lay in mud.  I probably will not shoot in this first match just to make sure everything works smoothly, but I will also have a couple extra rifles if anyone wants to give it a try.  Just bring your own ammo.

Offline Ivars

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 05:40:11 PM »
Thanks again for the hard work and dedication to make this shoot happen.   I had a great time even though we got rained out.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 07:26:34 PM »
Yeah, probably a good thing we got rained out, that bright yellow monster was growing on me...
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 09:00:05 PM »
Dave, you're going to have to build one for yourself.  That gun is way too sweet to let go.

Thanks to everyone for coming out.  We only got two stages in before the rain hit, but everything seemed to go well and we had fun.  I'm guessing we had some people scared off by the weather, so I wouldn't be surprised if we have more people show up next time.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 09:59:30 PM »
Dave, you're going to have to build one for yourself.  That gun is way too sweet to let go.

Thanks to everyone for coming out.  We only got two stages in before the rain hit, but everything seemed to go well and we had fun.  I'm guessing we had some people scared off by the weather, so I wouldn't be surprised if we have more people show up next time.

Yes I was just finishing mowing when the rain started, so I stayed home
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 05:50:16 AM »

I thought we discussed this?  Broke college kid and all? :D

Maybe i'll just snatch my dads model 60...he never shoots the darn thing anyway.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.