< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: How to carry extra mag?  (Read 1289 times)

Offline cracked junior

• Forum Member
How to carry extra mag?
« on: April 10, 2012, 09:21:04 PM »
I currently carry springfield xdm compact 45acp with the compact mag.  so that gives me 9+1 rounds.  holster is IWB crossbreed super tuck deluxe.
I have been thinking of how to carry an extra mag.   what is everyone's thoughts on this and how do you carry the extra mag?

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
Re: How to carry extra mag?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 09:38:59 PM »
I use a Leatherman case.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 09:48:29 PM »
It's not ideal, but I just stick it in my left front pocket.  I always carry an extra mag (or speedloader with a wheelgun).  With an autoloader the mag is your most likely failure point, and with a revolver I like the extra reload just in case because of the limited capacity.  The only time I don't carry an extra is when I go running.  I carry a J Frame for that, and I leave the speedloader behind because I just don't have anywhere good to put it.

Offline ghknives

• Gun Show Volunteer NRA Life member
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 10:09:13 PM »
I usually wear a vest or jacket as cover and carry at least one mag or speed loader in the lowest outside right hand pocket. I use the extra weight to help flip the cover out of the way to clear the draw
I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I only love that which they defend.        J.R.R. Tolkein

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 09:30:38 AM »
I usually wear a vest or jacket as cover and carry at least one mag or speed loader in the lowest outside right hand pocket. I use the extra weight to help flip the cover out of the way to clear the draw

Are you right-handed?  I'm curious how that works in practice.

I carry my Leatherman pouch on my left hip.  That way, I can maintain control of the firearm with my right hand while dropping the empty mag and pull the spare mag with my left hand in preparation for a reload.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 09:36:22 AM by Mudinyeri »

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 11:41:30 AM »
Fobus makes a great paddle style (single or double).  Safariland makes a very nice double for the belt.  Milt Sparks and others make IWB holders.  Personally would recommend a mag holder vice pocket (at least a primary).  Digging in your pockets seems like it would be pretty difficult while ducking incoming rounds.  Good for you planning to carry extra ammo.  One thing I tell people is when I die, it won't be because I ran out of bullets......

Offline Ross Berck

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 01:21:20 PM »
I have a milt sparks vm2 horsehide and shark holster and 1911 mags 38super Heinie built springfield...I carry this full size 1911 and two extras everyday everywhere it is legal to do so...This holster is so comfortable,it doesnt bother me sitting or anything else and  it conceals really well.  I thought I needed a commander size gun with aluminum frame and still may get one for the collection but its not necessary for comfort.

Offline ghknives

• Gun Show Volunteer NRA Life member
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 04:05:57 PM »
I should have been more clear. I carry my usual extras on my off side but like one in the strong side pocket for weight to speed the clearance of my cover
I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I only love that which they defend.        J.R.R. Tolkein

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 10:42:24 AM »
If I'm carrying a semi-auto, the extra mag goes in the left front pocket.  I've found that my wallet, which I keep in the same pocket, sits lower and keeps the mag upright with the bullets pointing forward.  It works fine for me.

If I'm pocket carrying a j-frame, the speed strip with five more rounds goes between my body and the pocket holster, bullets pointed forward, in the right front pocket.  In jeans, I'll typically use the key pocket.

Offline cracked junior

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 10:51:40 PM »
thanks for the tips.  i think im gonna try to find a multi tool pouch that fits the full size xd 13 round mag.  pocket carry doesnt work for me.   i have a issue with things in my pockets.  bugs the crap out of me.  my cell phone, wallet and keys are to much as it is. 

another question with out making another thread.  does south dakota honor the nebraska chp?  I have seen it both ways.  im taking a motorcycle trip next month to Sd and wyoming and would like to carry since i will be alone and camping 2 nights.