< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Officer Accidentally Shoots Self  (Read 2110 times)

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
Officer Accidentally Shoots Self
« on: April 11, 2012, 12:25:18 PM »

http://www.ketv.com/news/30874232/detail.html

OMAHA, Neb. -- The Douglas County Sheriff's Office said an Omaha police officer accidentally shot himself Wednesday morning.

Investigators said the officer was outside his northwest Omaha home and was loading gear into the trunk of his cruiser. They said the officer's service weapon fell out of its holster and discharged, hitting him in the left arm.

Deputies said the officer was taken to Creighton University Medical Center in critical condition.

The officer's name has not been released.

Read more: http://www.ketv.com/news/30874232/detail.html#ixzz1rkn2Lq9e

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
Re: Officer Accidentally Shoots Self
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 12:25:59 PM »
What kind of fhandgun can fire after being dropped?  Doesnt OPD carry glocks?  I thought these wont fire if dropped...

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 12:37:56 PM »
BS.  He tried to catch it on the way down and bumped the trigger.  Glocks and most other modern guns in good repair don't just go off if they're dropped.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 12:57:21 PM »
BS.  He tried to catch it on the way down and bumped the trigger.  Glocks and most other modern guns in good repair don't just go off if they're dropped.

THIS!
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 01:10:43 PM »
Certainly something snagged the trigger, either he was attempting to grab it as it fell or it caught on a piece of gear. It may have been a backup or off duty gun as well.

- Shawn
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 03:11:49 PM »
I wonder if he will be cited for negligent discharge or reckless endangerment like a non-LEO citizen would be? Will be interesting to see ...

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 03:18:18 PM »
+1 00Buck.   Me suspects if you or I going to the range and this happend in Omaha or Lincoln we would be cited.

Lesson....let the gun fall on the ground.  Gaston made a wonderful design making his Roscoes safe.....

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 03:19:16 PM »
I wonder if he will be cited for negligent discharge or reckless endangerment like a non-LEO citizen would be? Will be interesting to see ...

My thoughts exactly.  After all, the anti's always point to the average citizen's lack of training and how that would lead to this very thing happening.  We already know Joe Citizen wouldn't get a pass.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 03:41:23 PM »
As I tell my hunter safety classes ... a falling knife has no handle; a falling firearm is nothing but trigger.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 06:58:45 PM »
As I tell my hunter safety classes ... a falling knife has no handle; a falling firearm is nothing but trigger.

My S&W snubby has some nasty rash on it for this very reason.  Ham Handed Me fumbled it one day, and rather than attempting to catch it I just let it drop.

And Shawn is correct, it very well could have just snagged a piece of gear.  I was being a little assumptive saying he tried to catch it.  I wonder how it could have fallen out of his holster?  That makes me think it was probably not his duty weapon, since LEO holsters usually have excellent retention.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 07:02:26 PM by bkoenig »

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 07:32:31 PM »
A friend of mine had a 13 year old son blow a hole in his hand with a 25.06 that belonged to his Grampa.

He dropped it while crossing some railroad tracks and when he grabbed for it, he found the muzzle and the trigger.

This happened down in the Republican river valley near Red Cloud and the sheriff's department treated it as if it were an intentional shooting for some time, I think they confiscated the rifle and questioned the whole hunting party about their involvement in the shooting
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline omaharj

• social catalyst
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 07:43:09 PM »
There are two types of discharges that provoke a standard response with me. One, when someone dies from a gunshot that occurred while cleaning their gun. I always assume suicide. Maybe I'm sometimes wrong . Two, when I hear of a gunshot from dropping a gun, I assume they fumblefingered it as it was falling. Again, maybe I'm wrong sometimes.   I hope he recovers quickly,thats GOTTA hurt. RJ

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 08:59:49 PM »
BS like this that is published in the news media is what misinforms the majority of the general public. People read this and begin believing that guns just go off on their own.

Of course we will never know all of the facts........ But one fact is for sure... OPD carries Glocks, and Glocks will not fire when dropped.  (as Shawn mentioned though, could have been a different gun. I highly doubt a OPD officer would have a High point .380 as a backup, but stranger things have happened).

There is more to this story and we will never hear it all. Had this been a CHP holder, he would have been cited for discharging a firearm in the city (as a CHP holder was when he had a negligent discharge in Omaha a while back)

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 10:51:10 PM »
Gee out side his home too ..

Sounds like he wasn't on duty either ...

How come he don't get cited for discharging his firearm within city limits?
if it happened to one of us they sure charge us adding insult to injury!

Now the Bigger question I could be wrong but.....

Don't they have some sort of retaining straps on their holsters?
So why was the officers gun unsecured ?
If he was carring it unsecured it makes me wonder if the safty was still intact or had he disabled it ?

Sounds to me like it's real lucky that it was only the officer that got shot.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 10:55:36 PM by Phantom »
"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 01:18:45 AM »
As I recall most officers use a safariland holster that requires a thumb depression to unholster. And like everybody else said, no way a glock went off without the trigger being touched or somehow tampered with... Wonder if that gun has aftermarket mods that OPD didn't know about...

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2012, 08:02:50 AM »
I have been informed that it was a Khar 9mm.  Apparently his backup gun.  Not sure how it "went off" though.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 09:14:00 AM »
Kahr's have a drop safety, too.

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2012, 11:27:40 AM »
It was just an accident and it just shows cops ar people too.  However, many seem to think they are somehow better with firearms and we non cops shouldnt have them.  We're all on equal footing.  Accidents will happen to all of us weather it be guns, cars, or circular saws.  Or in my case, trampolines.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2012, 12:28:55 PM »
"Accident" or negligence ?

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2012, 04:56:42 PM »
"Accident" or negligence ?
An accident happens because of some level of negligence, no?