< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: It's the 3rd Tuesday again!  (Read 4086 times)

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
It's the 3rd Tuesday again!
« on: November 20, 2007, 11:40:58 AM »
IDPA at theBulletHole 2nite!

See ya there if ya can make it......................
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: It's the 3rd Tuesday again!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 12:18:15 PM »
maaannnnnn, why do Tuesdays have to be so busy for me all the time????

Got to go scale the kid's go cart tonight for the Turkey Chase weekend in Lincoln Friday-Sunday.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 03:42:56 PM »
Have fun with that!
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 11:04:26 PM »
They had a really screwy stage set up tonight........ 3 "red" targets, 3 "white" targets, 1 "red/white" in an inverted wedge. The targets were alternating red/white, with the "red/white" at the apex of the wedge....... We were to engage red, then white, nearest to farthest, using the single barricade for cover. 16 rounds (2 per target, 4 on the red/white).

The first run I really bolluxed it up, hitting one white target 3 times, and one only once (Failure to Nuetralize) and sliced the pie instead of nearest to farthest (which I thought wiser, but was as usual, WRONG)........ 33 sec and a bunch (don't ask, I cant count that high) down...... The second run was MUCH better, 29 sec, 1 down. That doesn't sound blazing fast (and it isnt), but considering I made two mag changes in there, and retained the mags, it wasnt bad shooting........

I know the first run was bad, as there was a guy that went through in 33 sec, 1 down, shooting  with his WEAK HAND ONLY!

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 10:46:48 PM »
Yippee! Dad's nite out! Anybody up for it? Sign up 6ish, Walk through at 6:30. Shooting starts at 7. If you don't have a gun and holster, I can lend you one if you can prove you're not a felon (Nebraska Firearm Purchase Permit is useful for this). As for ammo, you gotta contribute SOMETHING..........

« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 10:52:58 PM by JimP »

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 11:12:52 PM »
Nick interested in going? They let my 14 yr. old nephew shoot last year............

Offline Kim

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 12:36:36 AM »
Nick would LOVE to go, but he is with his Dad this week. Jay and I have been wanting to get up there one week when we have the kids, but our schedules just have not let it happen. Seems like when one of us is free, someone else has something going on. I assure you though, we are going to get up there one night.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 11:11:17 PM »
It was a good time. Hatchet made it......

The stage was run right to left, 3 BGs at 5 to 7 yds on the right and 3 BGs and a bystander on the left at the same distance, separated by 25 feet of cover. Lateral movement and a "Mozambique Drill" (two to center of mass, one to the head) requirement. I did both runs quickly (for me- 24 and 23 sec) and shot pretty well (for me- no shots outside the 1 down zone, and on the second run, it was clean until we got back to the first target- a  1 down on the body and the head shot was 2" low, centerline- scored a Mike for a total of 6 down- but almost certainly a fight stopper!).

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 10:00:19 PM »
And hatchet made it again. He did much better this time!

Only 6 BGs, 2 no shoots (which were positioned behind some of the BGs in such away as pass-thru hits were a danger-you had to pay attention!)........
More lateral movement, again. And they wanted 3 hits per target, not necessarily 2 to CoM and a head shot, but that is what I did. No Mikes, and second run was like 27 sec! That was 18 shots with 2 tac reloads, for 6 BGs "mozambiqued" and 2 bystanders untouched........not bad (for me) at all.

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 10:16:10 PM »
We have some guys coming down from Lincoln to do some target shooting with us Monday afternoon. Maybe I'll save some rifle ammo and do a few extra sidearm drills so I can make it up there one evening without embarrassing myself.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
Embarrass yourself?
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 11:02:59 AM »
Not likely. There are shooters of ALL levels (and not a few noobs), and if your gun functions reliably, you WON'T be the slowest competitor. A lot of  guys ignore the single most important feature of a Defensive Pistol: It must go Bang! every time. It doesn't matter how accurate it is, how big a hole it makes, or anything else. If you draw and pull the trigger, and it goes "click" when it should have gone "Bang!", you haven't even scared the BG.....

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 11:51:50 AM »
Very true, Jim, but as most people that know me will be glad to attest, one of my many faults is that I have this stupid competitive nature that I just can't shake.

Dumb, I know, but I can't help it.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 04:57:42 PM »
It's not about winning .......... it's about training. It's about getting better than you are. Because you will never be good enough if you don't train. And you can't be an impartial judge of your own performance...........

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 09:31:09 AM »
Bueller?................ Bueller?............. Bueller?.............. Anyone?

Come and watch, or better yet, get a safety/rules brief (now required of new shooters) and shoot. Bring a carry gun, holster, 40-50 rounds, and a cover garment (not difficult this time of year!)

If you've never done anything like this before, walk through it at first, concentrating on getting technique down. Speed will come with practice........

Good trainin'.....

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 09:41:43 AM »
We may make it up there tonight, but not sure yet. Nick's grandpa passed away and the funeral is today. Kim and her boys are going, not sure what time they will be back around tonight or if they will be in the mood to go. Nick might stay at his dad's, not sure. I will get ahold of you later if it looks like we are going to make it.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2008, 08:55:16 AM »
Last night's stage: 7 targets (one a swinger in a window) and a no shoot. Started behind a barricade, on the right side of the range. Engage 2 targets (2 to CoM) just past a barricade 30 feet to the front, using cover. Advance to shoot 2 more at about 10 and 15 feet from behind that barricade. Sliding left behind that barricade, put 2 into the swinger as it appears in the window about 7 feet in front of you. Slide left past a  barricade (you COULD try hitting the last target through the window on the move- I did on the second run, once), avoiding the no shoot in the way, and engage the last 2 targets fom the left side of that. Simple, right?

On the plus side, I discovered I need more practice finding that front sight.

On the negative, use of cover was (again) graded poorly. And scoring was haphazard- I hit one target 3 times, 1 CoM, 1 in the -1 zone, and 1 right next to the second one, on the BGs "gun". RO called out "Six Down!" I tried to point out the 3 hits and he said the "Gun hit is Hard Cover" and I say "ok, but wha-" and he's calling out the next target.......

Bottom line, I need some practice..........