< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Opinions & views wanted....City vs. State Power.  (Read 1130 times)

Offline just_me_mongo

• Powder Benefactor
  • "Shall NOT be infringed"
Opinions & views wanted....City vs. State Power.
« on: April 22, 2012, 11:35:12 AM »
After looking at and reading information & laws, I am puzzled by something.  Why is it that Nebraska Statute 18-1703 had to be signed into law?

"Correct; 18-1703 was signed into law by the Governor 4/13/11:
http://nebraskalegislature.gov/laws/statutes.php?statute=18-1703"- quoted from Alan S.

Do the cities truly have power to makes laws that are above the state?  I don't understand how this is even an issue.

I thought the pecking order was as follows:

1. Federal Govt.
2. State Govt.
3. County Govt.
4. City Govt.

Any thoughts, opinions, or views?

Thanks
"One of the ordinary modes by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance is by disarming the people and making it an offense to keep arms." - Joseph Story

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: Opinions & views wanted....City vs. State Power.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 11:47:19 AM »
Because Omaha believes they can do whatever they want and refused to comply.  They had be be forced to abide by state law, and still can't comprehend why they shouldn't be allowed to impose whatever restrictions on gun ownership they want.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 11:51:58 AM »
Unfortunately the way that pecking order works is unless there is something that says things can not be further restricted the next step can implement laws/rules/regulations that are stricter than the level above, but not less strict.

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 03:35:44 PM »
Actually the pecking order is;

1. We the People.

Those in service to we the People have been given a limited amout of power to serve we the people. There are too many folks in service to we the People that cannot comprehend that or for if they do they choose to ignore it in their lust to dominate their fellow man.

Never forget that Government is an inanimate object, like any other corporation. The people that run it are those we have chosen to do our bidding. Too many hold the notion that once they attain a position of power the people are beholding to their bidding.

Those " I ran for this seat because I know what's better for you than you do and it is my period" politicians need to be introduced to the unemployment line no matter what party they belong to.

Sidearms Training Academy
La Luz, NM

Offline JeremyP

• Powder Benefactor
    • CFEGames
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 03:17:52 PM »
In Sarpy County, the County itself is supposed to have more power than the city.
At least that's what a family member that works at the Sarpy county courthouse says.

I assume since Douglas county pretty much has just one city, I suppose the city and county legislatures are pretty much one in the same.

What I like to remember is how the Federal Government was supposed to have less power than each individual state.
Remembering the government as a brick wall is kind of a good analogy of what the old ways used to be like.
The bricks are the States and the mortar is supposed to be the Federal Government holding the states together.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 05:18:48 PM »
I do know that a county sheriff is THE head law enforcement officer of their respective county.  This authority even superscedes federal agents as he/she is an elected official and therefore cannot be usurped or "relieved" without a vote of the citizenry.