< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Should NE schools to teach patriotism or progressivism?  (Read 2222 times)

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
Should NE schools to teach patriotism or progressivism?
« on: April 26, 2012, 08:41:49 AM »
I received the following letter via a local grassroots group.  If you want to help shape the standards taught in NE government schools and you're able to attend one of these meetings (North Platte, Lincoln, or Omaha), then get to a meeting!  If liberty-minded folks like us don't show up, then the meetings will be controlled and directed by Progressives looking to establish a social studies curriculum based on revisionist history and multicultural moral relativism.  Mindy and I are going to go to the Omaha meeting next week.  Anyone else able to go?

Dear Wesley,

The Nebraska State Board of Education and the Nebraska Department of Education are sponsoring  "Citizen Input Sessions” across the state.  The purpose of these sessions is to educate the public on the process for standards development, to explain the format of the standards and to collect citizen input.  Session participants will work in small groups to review the drafts and provide comment in the areas of history, civics, economics and geography.  You will be able to choose your area or areas of focus.  View a press release on the sessions here: http://www.education.ne.gov/ndepress/2012/Revised_Social_studies_Standards.pdf

We need your participation - It is important to attend one of these meetings.  We want the NBOE to know that Social Studies Standards and teaching American exceptionalism are important.  We want to convey the idea that the way standards are taught and learned means everything to our students and to our future as a state and a nation.

Remember - The Board of Education establishes the standards while the individual school district chooses the curriculum. 

Below are talking point ideas that could be expressed:

It is my belief that the following points need to be reflected in the standards:

•Standards should encourage LOVE OF COUNTRY
•Standards should teach CHILDREN TO BE PATRIOTIC
•Standards should convey AMERICAN EXCEPTIONALISM

Additional talking points:

1.  Students need to learn facts!  We cannot rely on the Internet as our source of information.  Memorization has many benefits to long-term learning and the development of thinking skills.

2. Historical information is key to relating this country’s greatness.  For younger children historical stories, for older children historic novels should be included in their course of study.

3. Patriotism needs to be part of the standards including the pledge of allegiance, singing of Star Spangled Banner and other patriotic songs that tell of our history and our unique freedoms.

4. The goal of our schools should be to make patriots of our young Americans. 

5. Our Social Studies standards should foster in our students an emotional connection to our country.  This can be achieved through such activities as saying the pledge, singing patriotic songs.

6. With historical facts and patriotism as the foundation, older students need to apply critical thinking skills to assess the positive and the negative dealings of our nation.

7. Our nation should not be destroyed from within by the social studies curriculum that is one sided.

8. Standards should include discussions of the character of our national heroes, their passions, purposes and the decisions that were made to better their lives and the circumstances of our country. 

9. Multiculturalism and an unbalanced emphasis on diversity training has failed in England as well as other areas of Europe. Britons and Europeans have learned there is no need to highlight certain classes, races or sexual preference but rather to teach respect for human beings based on the fact we are all people.

10. Students should learn the responsibilities and choices necessary to be a successful citizen in America.

Again, what we are emphasizing is including more teaching on America's exceptionalism, free markets, the Constitution and our founding documents. 

Can you or anyone you know attend?

Meetings:

Wednesday, April 25, 6-9 pm
Educational Service Unit 16
1221 West 17th Street
North Platte, NE 69101

Monday, April 30th, 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Scott Middle School Multi-purpose Room
2200 Pine Lake Road
Lincoln, NE 68512

Tuesday, May 1, 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Lewis and Clark Middle School, Cafeteria
6901 Burt Street
Omaha, NE 68132
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Should NE schools to teach patriotism or progressivism?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 08:52:07 AM »
Wesley, Thanks for posting this.  I look forward to seeing you and Mindy (of course I can not forget Dagny) there.

Offline wallace11bravo

• NFOA Full Member
  • Don't rush to failure.
    • Midwest Tactical Solutions
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 09:41:35 AM »
+firearms safety education

Why do we teach how to cross the street safely, fire safety, drivers ed, drug ed, sex ed, but no mandated firearms safety training?

An no, "just stay away from them" is no more an effective method for firearms safety education than "just don't do it" is for sex. Pretending teenagers don't have genitals or hormones is not effective, and pretending firearms do not exist is not effective.

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 10:00:09 AM »
I absolutely agree John, and that is a longer term NFOA goal.  That being said, next week's "Citizen Input Sessions" are specifically for the social studies curriculum, so we need to make sure we stay on message of the above talking points this time around.  We need to take it one battle at a time. ;)
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 11:45:23 AM »
I'll be going on the 30th.

This is also an opportunity for us to pull these motivated citizens into the NFOA. Who here can turn out with me?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 11:49:27 AM by NENick »

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 05:06:57 PM »
I'll be going on the 30th.

This is also an opportunity for us to pull these motivated citizens into the NFOA. Who here can turn out with me?
Nick - If you have time, once you get back, please let us know what the session was like, so we know what to expect for Omaha tomorrow.

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 05:07:37 PM »
Reminder for tonight and tomorrow.  Also, you can download the proposed draft social studies standards here: http://content.omaha.com/media/maps/ps/2012/april/OW7044428.PDF.

I've not fully reviewed it yet, but was happy to see there are still references to the Constitution, Bill of Rights, and the historical foundation and events that lead to the formation of our constitutional government.  Also, there's supposed to be a new "personal finance" curriculum included, which is an education too many adults are lacking in.  There were, however, a couple of references to global citizens and global government that are concerning - though, in the foundation, structures, and functions of global government bullet point, it gives examples as: UN, NATO, EU, treaties, Communism, Fascism, and trade orgs.  So, perhaps that could be an accurate way to present the concept of global government... 

Looking forward to seeing Andy and anyone else who can make it to the Omaha meeting tomorrow. 

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 05:30:49 PM »
I'm trapped here in Omaha at the office. I think I'll pass on the Lincoln meeting since it'll be almost 1915 before I can get there. You'll be seeing me tomorrow instead.

Who's all going out tomorrow?

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 06:43:52 PM »
Dagnabbit, I got caught up rearranging the gun room (trying to get to the point I can once again sleep on my own bed ;) ) and also missed Lincoln's. As I may be in Omaha tomorrow anyway, I may stop by that one and throw in my $.02
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 09:25:48 AM »
The meeting went extremely well! I'm absolutely refreshed from having listened to everyone. The people that attended were extremely articulate, educated, and motivated. Geography, Social Studies, Civics, and History were discussed.

The group was incredible to listen to. Everyone's opinion was damn near unanimous.
A few things covered -

•   No progressivism
•   Don't teach our children that they fit into minority groups
•   We're one nation, with many individuals
•   No global warming
•   You teach facts only, we'll teach them how to interpret them
•   There is no such thing as a global government
•   We don't have a national government, but rather a Federal government
•   The government doesn't make goods for the people, private enterprises do
•   Republic vs. Democracy
•   Teach that we're a Republic
•   Yes, we have a constitution. It isn't old and outdated. They absolutely must learn it
•   Teach the benefits of our government over communism, etc
•   Teach American pride, reverence for the flag
•   We did not ratify UN Agenda 21, so get its language the hell out of NE standards

So much more was covered than just these bullet points. Once I have some time to review, I'll add in what was forgotten.

It is clear that the opinions of the representatives of academia present disagreed with us. I'm sure that the members of the board who are taking our opinions into consideration share academia's feelings. 
Plenty of eye rolls were present. They believe that we the People are too stupid to know what should be taught. They're the educated professionals after all.

P.S   They tried to split everyone into small groups at the beginning of the meeting, but attendees voted that we were going to stay together in order to hear everyone's opinion. This was an excellent move, because we were able to cut right through the BS when they tried to out think our opinions. Had we been in smaller groups, they'd surely have been able to dampen and silence opinions. Plus, when I couldn't quickly collect an argument for an issue, someone else in the room was able to pipe up. 

•   Don't let them talk to the group like children, because they'll try to
•   Don't let them convince you that there isn't enough time to stay in a large group, because there was plenty
•   Stick to your guns, because they will definitely disagree at every corner
•   Everyone in the room, except for a few members of academia, agrees with you, so pipe up!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 09:33:03 AM by NENick »

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 09:47:55 AM »
I was there as well and went to one of the break out groups to discuss Civics, I guess I kind of over ran the "educators" in the group taking my strong stance against the activism requirement.  I kind of hammered that issue to death and from the three pages of notes the moderator had on the issue it may have done some good.

If you were unable to attend you can still file your comments via email (add link here, i don't have it with me)  There are several members of the State Board of Education that are highly interested in your position, yes there are those that will follow whatever the "Academics" say, but those that listen to the people will make changes right up to the time that this is finished in about December.

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 12:04:12 AM »

Why do we teach how to cross the street safely, fire safety, drivers ed, drug ed, sex ed, but no mandated firearms safety training?

I asked the same thing a while back in a diffrent thread

I have to agree I think firearms safety education should be taught in schools

It's not like we all live on or visit the family farm Weekly any more.
If your 40+ and no military experience then most likely you first learned (at least around here) to shoot On a family Farm.
Now that being said..... that education could be widely varied

So I still feel there is a need for it.
Maybe if they learn at a young age Firearms are not toys.
Then they might be less likely to pick one up and use it as a solution for every thing later in life.

There is a reason our Fore fathers wrote the bill of right and the order in which it appears

1.  Freedom of Speech, Press, Religion and Petition

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

2.  Right to keep and bear arms

A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

There is a reason they wrote it in that order....!

We need our Kids taught that ........ and every thing it contains as well. 

« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 12:21:37 AM by Phantom »
"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"