< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Bought a new Black Rifle  (Read 2361 times)

tonopah

Bought a new Black Rifle
« on: February 25, 2009, 12:24:24 AM »
Its a Bushmaster! BCWA3F16m4. I will dress it out. Seeking suggestions. ACOG is a goal!

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Bought a new Black Rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 07:32:16 PM »
Well there are a few things to check out right away.

Bushmaster has had some troubles getting the barrels indexed perfectly, and the problem will show up when you atttempt to zero the iron sights. If you end up with excessive windage adjustments left or right, then the barrel is likely slighty mis-indexed.

Hopefully you have a carbine that zeroes dead on center! 10 clicks left or right would not be good in my opinion.

Bushmaster also has an issue that may require a front sight post that is .040" longer than normal to allow for sufficient  upward adjustment when using some types of removeable carry handles and/or Back up iron sights (BUIS).

If you have gotten past the first two issues and the rifle operates normally as far as feeding , firing and extraction, Then I would look into making sure the bolt carrier key is properly staked and if the buffer extension lock nut has been staked to prevent any loosening of these components.

I would recommend that you do all this BEFORE you start with the customizations you may have in mind. It just prevents doing a bunch of mods to a rifle that has not been "vetted" and needs a trip back to the factory.

If you make a bunch of changes before you know it works right, then it makes it tougher to figure out where the problems may lie.

Hopefully you will not have any problems to fix, but if you do let me know and I will help.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

tonopah

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 09:33:56 PM »
Thanks for the advice. Did not pick up any issues about Bushmaster when I was looking at other forums. Maybe I should have bought a Rock River or Colt. If I find out it is one of those with issues, I will send it back to the factory. Thanks again.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 11:03:15 PM »
The big rush to buy AR's in the few  years since the AWB ended has resulted in the Quality Control of many companies to fall off a little.  And the recent madness isn't helping matters...It's not just a Bushmaster thing.  Just make sure that your rifle is Good to GO
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 09:42:00 PM by Dan W »
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

tonopah

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 06:50:40 PM »
To Dan W... rifle functions as advertised. Thinking Aimpoint instead of ACOG. Thanks for the AR site.   

A-FIXER

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 10:30:19 PM »
Welcome to the new world of the ar-itis

tonopah

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 11:08:05 AM »
I do seem to have a break-out of ar-itis

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 02:49:58 PM »
I refer to it as BRD  (black rifle disease)
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline schoolcop

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 11:31:50 AM »
I've had a Bushmaster for well over ten years. My rear sight is nearly all the way to the left. It seems to zero fine for 100yds. When I first bought it I sent it back and it came back with no change. I sent it back a second time and they returned it with a note saying it was within factory specs. I've never use it beyond 100yds so I guess it will stay indexed poorly. Can anyone recommend a competent gunsmith in the Omaha, NE area that works on AR's. Preferably someone with time and experience under their belt. I want to attach a 16" bbl to a RRA flat-top. I can't do it.

Offline Toster

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 01:15:51 AM »
Well I did it, got a black rifle.  ;D  I picked up a DPMS Sweet 16 today.  I had been looking at them for quite some time, but I finally pulled the trigger.  I just don't know what to top it off with.  I have been looking at the Leupold Mark 2 4-12x40 AO T2  http://www.leupold.com/tactical/products/scopes/mark-2-riflescopes/mark-2-4-12x40mm-adj-obj-t2/
I have Leupolds on all my other (hunting) rifles, but not sure on a AR.  I will be mostly using this for plinking, and maybe some mid range varmint / predator shooting.

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 07:28:47 PM »
The Mark 2 should be fine.

My AR wears an Aimpoint ML3, but I'm more concerned about torso hits out to 100 yards than ground hogs at 300.

Don't forget to match your ammo choice to your barrel twist rate.
NRA Life Member.