< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Pepper Spray  (Read 5326 times)

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
Pepper Spray
« on: April 29, 2012, 04:09:09 PM »
Any pepper spray experts on here?  I'm looking for something for my wife to carry for a less-than-lethal solution to potential problems.

Is the Fox Labs stuff with the 5.3 million SHU the best on the market?  Is there something better?

Where's a good place to purchase in Omaha?

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: Pepper Spray
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 04:33:46 PM »
i got my wife some stuff from Cabela's.  they are sold behind the gun counters and you might have to ask for it.  i figured anything is better than nothing.  i also picked up a small bottle at Harbor Freight... the price was right (on sale and coupon).
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline OleSharky

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 05:03:27 PM »
I can't say that Fox Labs is the best.  Too many I haven't checked out but I think it is very adequate and will do what it is intended to do.  It comes in a various sizes which is helpful.  I mail order mine.  If you get something in the store check the expiration dates/mfg dates.  Shelf life is limited on all of them.

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 10:10:52 PM »
I can't say that Fox Labs is the best.  Too many I haven't checked out but I think it is very adequate and will do what it is intended to do.  It comes in a various sizes which is helpful.  I mail order mine.  If you get something in the store check the expiration dates/mfg dates.  Shelf life is limited on all of them.
Thats a good first post. Welcome.
www.midwestleatherworks.com
matt@midwestleatherworks.com

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 10:26:58 PM »
I bought stuff called MK 3/ MK 4 from Pioneer uniforms on Leavenworth. One was the general spray while the other was streamy foam. I prefer the streamy foam type because it won't fumigate whatever building you're in. I think it is also a little more persistent.

The drawback is that they are little canisters designed more for duty carry. It's great stuff, but I can't get my girlfriend to carry it consistently.

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 08:55:06 AM »
My wife has been carrying one of these for nearly 5 years now. Its been banged up, dropped, thrown and has held up very well. I just replace the cartridge once a year.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/789389/asp-street-defender-pepper-spray-13-gram-aerosol-aerospace-aluminum-body-includes-key-ring-10-pct-oc-black?cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Self-Defense+-+Pepper+Spray+and+Defense+Devices-_-PriceCompListing-_-789389

I like it because she always has it with her, it doesn't look like a typical pepper spray unit so it doesn't draw any attention from security personnel and it is more likely that she will be able to suprise any aggressor and get it in their eyes.

Just like anything else not everyone responds to being sprayed the same. Ive seen a lot of people pepper sprayed and the reactions vary from extreme (swollen eyes and face with extreme pain) to minimal (Ive seen guys literally covered in it head to toe experiencing little discomfort) so be prepared for either reaction.

- Shawn
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline birddogne

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 12:35:42 PM »
I've purchased a couple from Ruger.  I like there options, some also come with a strobe lite and noise for distraction.  They also have different setups for Home and Auto.

http://www.ruger.com/micros/pepperSpray/index.html

Offline OleSharky

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 12:00:24 PM »
Thanks Sparky!  Glad to be here.  I've gotten Fox Labs for the women in my family, wife, daughter, daughter-in-law, for quite some time.  When I first got it, I figured that if I was going to trust this stuff to possibly save their lives, I'd try it out first to make sure it would do the job.  Didn't take long to figure out that was a stupid thing to do.  I thought I was going to die.  I'd recommend you just trust the mfg. on this one.    :D

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 12:42:51 PM »
Thanks Sparky!  Glad to be here.  I've gotten Fox Labs for the women in my family, wife, daughter, daughter-in-law, for quite some time.  When I first got it, I figured that if I was going to trust this stuff to possibly save their lives, I'd try it out first to make sure it would do the job.  Didn't take long to figure out that was a stupid thing to do.  I thought I was going to die.  I'd recommend you just trust the mfg. on this one.    :D

Always love a good range report on the gun forum!

Offline Phantom

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 11:50:43 PM »

Well it could have been worse.

You could have gotten them a Tazer   :laugh: :P  :o

"If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea.....Hell, I always thought the opposable thumb was overrated.  "-- Sheridan, "Babylon 5"