< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: "Are They Registered?"  (Read 2717 times)

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
"Are They Registered?"
« on: May 01, 2012, 02:26:50 PM »
Ok, I had to let this simmer a while before posting this story.  Keep in mind,  I respect our Law Enforcement and the job they have to do, but...

I was talking with a friend's wife the other day and of course guns came up.
If you recall a story I posted about a prank call to Lincoln PD/Lacaster Sheriff that caused a ruckus around town with SWAT frantically searching houses and Recuse searching for victims that didn't exist.  Said friends are unfortunately involved in a indirect way with this thug.  Long story/short; they're daughter has fell in with some of the scum of our fair city.  One of the houses searched was theirs. They're son (Iraq Army Vet- thanx sir)(the other home belonged to the girl's estranged husband, also a Iraq War Vet, all of whom the thug has threatened.  Yeah, he ain't real smart  ;) ) stopped by to check on the house as Ma and Pa were on vacation, when he was confronted by SWAT hiding in the trees and bushes and told to step away from house. (Lucky for him he had not stopped by home to grab the pistol his wife had just bought him, for a test run. ) He called Ma who thought he was kidding about it all when she found herself talking to the Sheriff.  :o  The following paraphrased conversation is where I took concern in a different direction. :
Sheriff: Are there any weapons in the house? Any guns?
Ma: Well, yeah there are 2 long guns, rifle and shotgun locked in my office.
Sheriff:  Are they registered?
Ma: Well, I don't know. The rifle (.22) my husband has had since he was a kid, and the shotgun we bought new for our son when he was in high school, and we fill out paperwork on it.

That's where I stopped her. WTH? "Are they registered?" Plese correct me if I am wrong, but Since when does Nebraska, Lancaster county have a gun registry?    I had to tell her that if there was, I would know, cause Andy would be all over it like flies on kaka!
Tactic to catch her of guard?  Reference to the NCIS check done at point of sell when no purchase permit available?  Or another LE brass believing everygun should be registered?  Maybe it's just me, but the question stuck me wrong.  "Are they legally owned/posessed?" may have been a better response?

“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
Re: "Are They Registered?"
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 04:03:21 PM »
I talked to LPD last year to see if my girlfriend needed to register a pistol that was gifted to her. They said that all she needs is a permit to purchase in order to posses them.

It drives me frickin crazy when these guys bluff because they know that a person might not know the law.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 06:04:29 PM »
First things first....When asked that question she should have remained politely silent.  She is under no legal obligation answer such and dare say that a warrant would have already been the LEOs possession to search the home i.e. they were on a "fishing expedition". 

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 08:49:57 PM »
Dan can probably give details, but from what I have heard, all pistol sales at FFL's in Lincoln city limits are reported to LPD.  DeFacto registration for Lincolnites.

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 09:11:56 PM »
Someone was looking into that Rick. We think that was wiped out with LB???
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 09:12:48 PM »
Dan can probably give details, but from what I have heard, all pistol sales at FFL's in Lincoln city limits are reported to LPD.  DeFacto registration for Lincolnites.

If you have a CHP you can refuse the registration. Last time I purchased a handgun in Lincoln I had to sign a card to be sent in to report the sale, but since then NFOA has asked for and received a letter from the chief of police to all FFL's that the report can not be required for CHP holders

https://docs.google.com/open?id=1IZgNXRKbefgPi_4GPYUjg1pXFpj50i13fWkvmj3bo39Jvcf1H1b3JFmIJSry
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 08:21:53 AM »
If you have a CHP you can refuse the registration. Last time I purchased a handgun in Lincoln I had to sign a card to be sent in to report the sale, but since then NFOA has asked for and received a letter from the chief of police to all FFL's that the report can not be required for CHP holders

https://docs.google.com/open?id=1IZgNXRKbefgPi_4GPYUjg1pXFpj50i13fWkvmj3bo39Jvcf1H1b3JFmIJSry

We need to thank Senator Tony Fulton for his assistance on this.  It was his having a meeting with the Lincoln City Attorney, Mayor, and Chief of Police that got this accomplished.  We are going to miss having Tony in the Legislature, he is a true friend of the NFOA.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 10:22:20 AM »
I am looking forward to "GOVERNOR FULTON"

Offline RICHARD D LONG

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 03:14:48 PM »
Am questioning the article about Sarpy county official in the World-Herald.  Does Sarpy county have a registration scheme?  The article indicated that they do.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 08:33:50 PM »
Keep in mind the news media writes about stuff they know nothing about. There is no registration.

The problem with the Gretna City Administrator situation is that she received transfer of a handgun and has never had a handgun purchase permit.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 08:49:47 PM »
Keep in mind the news media writes about stuff they know nothing about. There is no registration.

The problem with the Gretna City Administrator situation is that she received transfer of a handgun and has never had a handgun purchase permit.

According to the Magic Attorney, JMD, the revolver in question was only "loaned" to her, not given/gifted.  Not sure what difference it really makes, she was in possession of the handgun.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 08:52:31 PM »
According to the Magic Attorney, JMD, the revolver in question was only "loaned" to her, not given/gifted.  Not sure what difference it really makes, she was in possession of the handgun.

I saw that interview with JMD last night........ This one has me puzzled.... Either he is flat out wrong, or JMD has something up his sleeve that he has figured out another angle to take with this. As I see the permit law, you cannot even loan a pistol to someone unless they remain in your line of sight.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 08:54:14 PM »
I'd like to know how they know whether someone has "ever had" a purchase certificate.  You can prove you have one now, but how do you show you every had one once you lose or discard? 

I was told by the Douglas County Sheriff office that they do not keep records on who has been issued a permit.  Not that I believe everything I'm told.  But it makes you wonder, does Sarpy County keep those records that Douglas County claims they do not?

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 09:07:43 AM »
A certificate is not required if:

The transfer is between a person and his or her spouse, sibling, parent, child, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, or grandparent.

I don't see mistress on that list.  :D

Offline Roper

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2012, 06:41:03 AM »
I don't see mistress on that list.  :D
. Ha!!
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.
Ronald Reagan