< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Gun Control Starting...here it is!  (Read 1192 times)

Offline Aldo

• Ever vigilant. Ever ready. Ever willing. www.everreadyccw.com
  • NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
Gun Control Starting...here it is!
« on: February 26, 2009, 07:49:28 AM »
Well, folks, here it is..."O" and Holder...nasty combination:  >:(

"Obama to Seek New Assault Weapons Ban":
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=6960824&page=1

• "The Obama administration will seek to reinstate the assault weapons ban that expired in 2004 during the Bush administration, Attorney General Eric Holder said today" (Wednesday, February 25, 2009).

"As President Obama indicated during the campaign, there are just a few gun-related changes that we would like to make, and among them would be to reinstitute the ban on the sale of assault weapons," Holder told reporters.

"I think closing the gun show loophole, the banning of cop-killer bullets and I also think that making the assault weapons ban permanent, would be something that would be permitted under Heller," Holder said, referring to the Supreme Court ruling in Washington, D.C. v. Heller, which asserted the Second Amendment as an individual's right to own a weapon.

The Assault Weapons Ban signed into law by President Clinton in 1994 banned 19 types of semi-automatic military-style guns and ammunition clips with more than 10 rounds.

The NRA is making its commentary and objection known.  And there are some "blue-dog" Dems who are pro-gunnies.  But this doesn't look good, doesn't smell good, nor does it taste good.

Thank God I was able to find (ordered and already received) some extra high cap clips for my new G21.  Thanks, CZ, for helping me locate some.  They have been backordered all over the place.

And what the h$%* does Holder mean by "cop-killing bullets"?????!!!  Even a BB could end up killing someone!

Okay, enough ranting and raving....its' too early in the morning!  Crud!!! >:(
www.everreadyccw.com
"Always remember that you are Americans, and it is your birthright to dream great dreams in this sweet and blessed land, truly the greatest, freest, strongest nation on Earth." -- Ronald Reagan

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Gun Control Starting...here it is!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 01:39:58 PM »
Good reading found on Glock Talk:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009435

Pelosi tosses cold water on assault-weapon ban
http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/...009-02-26.html
Pelosi tosses cold water on assault-weapon ban
By Mike Soraghan
Posted: 02/26/09 11:59 AM [ET]

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi tossed cold water on the prospect of reinstating the assault weapons ban, highlighting Democrats? reluctance to take on gun issues.

Attorney General Eric Holder raised the prospect Wednesday that the administration would push to bring back the ban. But Pelosi (D-Calif.) indicated on Thursday that he never talked to her. The Speaker gave a flat ?no? when asked if she had talked to administration officials about the ban.

?On that score, I think we need to enforce the laws we have right now,? Pelosi said at her weekly news conference. ?I think it's clear the Bush administration didn?t do that.?

Outside of the dig at the recent Republican president, that phrase is the stock line of those who don?t want to pass new gun control laws, such as the National Rifle Association.

The White House declined to comment on Holder's remarks, referring reporters to the Department of Justice. The DoJ did not respond to The Hill's request for comment.

Offline Aldo

• NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 06:29:28 PM »
Thanks, Jay.

That thread on glocktalk is a good read.  Interesting to see the different perspectives and possiblities.  Of course, all of us are guessing because I don't think that any of us have a true, or at least complete, pulse of what the heck is going on with the white house, the congress, the senate...other than them spending the wazoo out of our country's resources, or maybe I should say printed funny money.

We'll just have to wait and see what transpires on this particular issue.  "O"'s and Holder's past opines on guns and ammo are clear on where they are coming from...or where they will be coming from.  It's only a matter of time.

Pelosi is not only high on whatever meds she takes, but also on having the Dems pass HUGE spending bills, including the latest one today with 8-9K porker earmarks by the Congress.  She still needs Reid et al to pass it in the Senate.  Once all that money spending is finally approved, she can always change her mind and say later on that she has seen the light shining from the white house on the gun issue.

A study of "O" reveals a ruthless individual who will persevere to get what he wants....and Rahm E and Holder are right in his shadow....or maybe I should say "left".

Perhaps we're okay for now as pro-gunnies.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 06:31:34 PM by Aldo »
www.everreadyccw.com
"Always remember that you are Americans, and it is your birthright to dream great dreams in this sweet and blessed land, truly the greatest, freest, strongest nation on Earth." -- Ronald Reagan

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 06:49:30 PM »
I wouldn't let what Pelosi supposedly said get you to thinking we might be OK on this, I just wanted to  point out more double talk and political posturing going on in Washington.

In my own uneducated opinion, I am personally convinced she would support a ban in a heartbeat, but I haven't decided if she said this in order to take some of the heat off of herself when this gets passed, or if it is a ploy to get us to let down our guard just enough to help push this through. Maybe it's both.

In any event, we need to be fighting this strongly, and fighting it now.

Offline Aldo

• NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 11:14:21 PM »
Jay, no problem here.  I agree with you 100%.  The day I want to believe Pelosi is the day I drink the kool aid, and that ain't gonna happen any time soon.

Today is just a very bizarre day re gun stuff and the law.

Check out the latest thread I posted from the NRA site re the U.S. Senate upholding 2A for D.C.  This is really some turn of events today.

What's next?!?! ???
www.everreadyccw.com