< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Recommend holsters to wear while driving  (Read 6237 times)

Offline JumpStart

• Forum Member
Recommend holsters to wear while driving
« on: May 06, 2012, 03:48:47 PM »
Looking for ideas on what would be a good holster to wear while driving.  I drive a truck so want something that would be comfortable for sitting all day.   Really looking at the Crossbreed supertuck. 

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: Recommend holsters to wear while driving
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 03:56:55 PM »
I wear a Kholster which is basically the same as the Supertuck.  It's comfortable enough for driving, but would be hard to reach while belted in.  I usually think ankle holsters are impractical, but I think for driving a small .38 tucked into an ankle holster would be really easy to access.

Offline Chris C

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 04:31:39 PM »
Sjwsti recommended the Archangel holster to me and I love it.  http://www.dalefrickeholsters.com/products.htm  Even with the race seat in my car I can still draw my weapon if I needed to that is how user friendly it is.  That would not be possible with the Comp-Tac MTAC I used to use which is basically the same as the Crossbreed.  Comfort took a little getting use to but isn’t bad as long as you are not really overweight. 

Offline cracked junior

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 07:09:33 PM »
i wear crossbreed super tuck with springfield xdm 3.8 45 acp.  while driving my wallet bugs me more than the gun.   my wallet isnt overflowing with receipts and other unneeded stuff so its not bulky. 

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 07:28:02 PM »
Milt Sparks Summer Special.  +1 on Dale Fricke products.   Also, Safariland has a nice IWB rig.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 07:40:47 PM »
While my Milt Sparks VMII is very comfortable while driving, it is very difficult to draw from while wearing a seat belt.

I use a Wilderness SafePacker tethered to my center console to carry my firearms and an extra mag for easy access while driving, and I wear my empty holster for a quick exchange when exiting the vehicle
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline OleSharky

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 12:23:21 PM »
I use a Texas Cross Draw from Kirkpatrick Leather.  It does everything I'm looking for while driving, and NO, I don't want to get into a debate on cross draw/strong side issues.

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 01:37:08 PM »
Cross draw may be your most comfortable option other that what Dan did.  I am thinking about mounting a holster up under the steering wheel for my car too.
www.midwestleatherworks.com
matt@midwestleatherworks.com

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 02:10:06 PM »
Actually in the past few years, I don't worry about the holster as my Dillon Aero comes up through my sunroof to"smile down" on the BGs......

Offline Aldo

• Ever vigilant. Ever ready. Ever willing. www.everreadyccw.com
  • NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 09:01:53 AM »
www.everreadyccw.com
"Always remember that you are Americans, and it is your birthright to dream great dreams in this sweet and blessed land, truly the greatest, freest, strongest nation on Earth." -- Ronald Reagan

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 09:41:22 AM »
DeSantis Kingston Car Seat Holster  8)

http://www.shopholsters.com/desantis-kingston-carseat-holster.html

I tried something similar to that once, In my car it moved around too much, muzzle tilted in toward seat, pushing grip way forward. And on top of it all, I had the strap riding right up my, well, it was uncomfortable.
It's a great idea, but I was thinking of building a bracket, of something stiff yet pliable like plastic, that I could just slip the holster onto, whether it was a paddle, clip-on, etc. 
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 10:19:50 AM »
I believe that there is a holster maker I think called "Texas Custom Holsters" that makes them for your car with the bracket and all.   I will look into it and post a link.

Here you go.
http://www.texascustomholsters.com/

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 10:38:42 AM »
My concern with appendix carry is that I am more likely to be in a car accident than need my gun, let alone needing it in the car.  If my car comes to a sudden stop, that gun is going to be right between myself and the thin seat belt strap trying to stop my body from flying forward.  I shudder to think of the damage it could cause. 

With a car mounted holster, you have the logistical issue of moving the gun without drawing attention to yourself along with the fact that the more often the gun is moved from holster to holster, the more likely a ND is going to be.

Alas, there are no perfect solutions.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 10:41:01 AM »
CrossBreed SuperTuck here.  Very comfortable.  I've driven for hours on end with no discomfort. 

For XD owners, I came up with a way to mount the OEM XD holster to the knee panel of my vehicle that utilized the speed loader that came with the pistol.

Here's a link to the writeup that I did on XDTalk: http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/gear-talk/180487-free-xd-holster-your-car-truck-vehicle-atv-whatever.html

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 11:36:42 AM »
CrossBreed SuperTuck here.  Very comfortable.  I've driven for hours on end with no discomfort. 

For XD owners, I came up with a way to mount the OEM XD holster to the knee panel of my vehicle that utilized the speed loader that came with the pistol.

Here's a link to the writeup that I did on XDTalk: http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/gear-talk/180487-free-xd-holster-your-car-truck-vehicle-atv-whatever.html
That's a great idea Mud, I will be looking to see if that will work for me tonight.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 12:48:19 PM »
That's a great idea Mud, I will be looking to see if that will work for me tonight.

I suppose I should have shared it with my fellow Nebraskans a long time ago.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2012, 02:59:27 PM »
My concern with appendix carry is that I am more likely to be in a car accident than need my gun, let alone needing it in the car.  If my car comes to a sudden stop, that gun is going to be right between myself and the thin seat belt strap trying to stop my body from flying forward.  I shudder to think of the damage it could cause. 

If I happen to carry AIWB, the holster isn't centered in front of me and the seat belt/holster combination isn't going to hurt me any worse (in a car crash) than the seat belt would by itself.

The Fricke Archangel (among others--the CCC Shaggy is another good one) is a comfortable holster to wear while sitting or driving (YMMV based on body type) and unless you decide to center it over someplace extremely sensitive :o  it wouldn't be an issue.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2012, 09:07:11 PM »
If your driving all day, check out a good shoulder rig, that's what I wear for long drives...

Offline Aldo

• NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2012, 11:10:35 PM »
I tried something similar to that once, In my car it moved around too much, muzzle tilted in toward seat, pushing grip way forward. And on top of it all, I had the strap riding right up my, well, it was uncomfortable.
It's a great idea, but I was thinking of building a bracket, of something stiff yet pliable like plastic, that I could just slip the holster onto, whether it was a paddle, clip-on, etc. 
Haven't had that issue as long as I keep that rig cinched tight. I agree on the strap feeling as though it will cause a double-thickness racing stripe, so I have a thin cushion on top of it....solves that issue as well as makes my two cheeks smile on longer rides :)  The handguns (one for the Mr. Smith revolver and the other for my Austrian Tupperware) are incredibly easily accessible should the need arise. Have a bolted-in lockbox if I want to keep 'em locked in the truck, or I can holster them with ease after releasing the seatbelt. :)
www.everreadyccw.com
"Always remember that you are Americans, and it is your birthright to dream great dreams in this sweet and blessed land, truly the greatest, freest, strongest nation on Earth." -- Ronald Reagan

Offline Aldo

• NFOA Full Member
    • EverReadyCCW
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2012, 11:11:48 PM »

I love my Crossbreed Supertuck as well....just can't get to it easily without first releasing the seatbelt. Tucks help me stay comfortable for driving hours on end  :laugh:
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 11:16:24 PM by Aldo »
www.everreadyccw.com