< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Gun Amnesty Day Omaha May 19  (Read 1141 times)

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
Gun Amnesty Day Omaha May 19
« on: May 13, 2012, 02:16:17 PM »
http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/Gun_Amnesty_Day__151302985.html

No moneys to be paid for firearms turned in, just a 'warm-fuzzy feeling' that you 'got another gun off the street'.

Has anyone ever thought about or actually gone to one of these buybacks or amnesty days and purchased a firearm from someone before it got to the table?  Too much of a chance to take?

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Re: Gun Amnesty Day Omaha May 19
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 07:11:10 PM »
A few of us have talked about it, but no-one willing to take the chance, I think.
It's sad as I hear there are many antique/ heirloom quality firearms  let go by widows at these things. 
The guns let go at these things are not the type of "9 mil glocks" the thugs are looking for.
I still wish OPD would allow a FFL to offer some cash to the folks, with OPD, of course, secretly running each one to be sure it's not 'hot' or involved in a crime.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 08:50:23 PM »
A few of us have talked about it, but no-one willing to take the chance, I think.
It's sad as I hear there are many antique/ heirloom quality firearms  let go by widows at these things. 
The guns let go at these things are not the type of "9 mil glocks" the thugs are looking for.
I still wish OPD would allow a FFL to offer some cash to the folks, with OPD, of course, secretly running each one to be sure it's not 'hot' or involved in a crime.

Yeah, um, good luck with that.  I will give you a brand new box of ammo of your choosing if you can make THAT happen.  ;D
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 08:41:41 AM »
I saw that OPD is delaying the next class of 28 recruits from May to August due to cost.  It's a shame they destroy so much valuable property rather than auction it off and use the proceeds to do things that will actually help with crime.

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 05:04:37 PM »
Yeah, um, good luck with that.  I will give you a brand new box of ammo of your choosing if you can make THAT happen.  ;D

The only issue I see with the idea is the NCIC check of the weapon.  Otherwise I'd be more than happy to take a day off for some constructive bargaining with prospective "surrendered" property owners.

Anyone know of a way to get such a check done “on the fly” so to speak?  Wireless, WAN, something?

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 06:00:06 PM »
The only issue I see with the idea is the NCIC check of the weapon.  Otherwise I'd be more than happy to take a day off for some constructive bargaining with prospective "surrendered" property owners.

Anyone know of a way to get such a check done “on the fly” so to speak?  Wireless, WAN, something?

Ron

Can't be done unless you are law enforcement or you take it to the cop shop for them to run the serial numbers. 
FFL's have no way of running a NCIC check, they can only call in a NICS check when a gun is sold. Totally different thing.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline omaharj

• social catalyst
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 06:15:10 PM »
Perhaps, someday, a highly publicized case will have a witness state the evidence was turned in and destroyed by OPD. That may be a deterrent, but I doubt it. If its any consolation,much of what gets turned in is junk.

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 08:00:01 PM »
I'd be willing to give some of these guns amnesty in my safe with other guns they can socialize with.

Offline just_me_mongo

• Powder Benefactor
  • "Shall NOT be infringed"
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 10:26:57 AM »
"Has anyone ever thought about or actually gone to one of these buybacks or amnesty days and purchased a firearm from someone before it got to the table?  Too much of a chance to take?"

I wouldn't do it- doesn't seem like a legal or safe idea.

As for the amnesty day itself - I think it is an interesting concept. 

Too be clear, I am not being disrespectful or meaning to- I simply do not trust them.

If any average Joe found a gun in a park for example- and turned it in- do you think they would be given amnesty?  I don't believe they would.

This reminds me of -for example - the D.E.A. having a drug amnesty day.  Turn in all illegal drugs w/o worry.

I just don't see that happening.

Just my opinion only.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 10:41:35 AM by just_me_mongo »
"One of the ordinary modes by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance is by disarming the people and making it an offense to keep arms." - Joseph Story