< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Tomorrow is the day  (Read 4697 times)

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Re: Tomorrow is the day
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2012, 06:57:08 PM »
My polling place moved a whole half block to another church up the road. Then I had to take the long way around due to construction.  I wonder how many folks will use that excuse?
My gals were pretty helpful, answering my questions.  And they gave me Stickers!!!  Squeee!!
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2012, 07:36:11 PM »
When I voted my precinct had had just over 100 people vote, with less than 2 hours before the polls close, that puts them at less than 5%.  I know there was more than usual voting early in Douglas County but that is just plain pitiful.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2012, 07:38:55 PM »
I didn't look at the numbers, but my precinct was pretty quiet.  Maybe 2 or 3 people there at the same time as me.  This was right after I got off work at 4:00 though.  Hopefully more people voted later.

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2012, 07:42:29 PM »
I for one have pondering pushing legislation that at age 18, EVERYONE has to go to the Post Office and register to Vote!   Just like every male of 18years has to register for selective service.   Any thoughts? State or Federal issue?

“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline 66bigblock

• Lead Benefactor
  • When SHTF, which side of the Fan will you be on?
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2012, 08:37:52 PM »
I voted three times today.

Once under my name, once under my neighbors name, and once under a friends name in another precinct.  My sister was here today from Iowa and I had her vote also under my neighbors wifes name.

I figure since so many people are opposed to having to a person show ID to vote, I might as well take advantage of it.

Flame on *****es...

66bigblock
I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.  I carry a lot of ammo because I cant run very fast.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2012, 08:49:36 PM »
I voted three times today.

Once under my name, once under my neighbors name, and once under a friends name in another precinct.  My sister was here today from Iowa and I had her vote also under my neighbors wifes name.

I figure since so many people are opposed to having to a person show ID to vote, I might as well take advantage of it.

Flame on *****es...

66bigblock

you funny guy...i kill you last
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2012, 08:51:57 PM »
66BB:

They are draggin' you down where they will beat you with experience......

Also, given that the Federal Election powers that be are given to pretty blatant favoritism/selective enforcement (Black Panthers can stand in front of a polling place smacking batons into their palms with impunity, but if an Omaha election official consolidates a few poorly attended pllong stations, they are all over that...) it may not be a good idea to announce your voter fraud activities in public.  This is a pro gun forum and Mr. Holder is not our friend.  That makes you a target..... 
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Necede

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2012, 08:54:58 PM »
My precinct was pretty dead also.Looking on the bright side, if we are the only ones voting, our candidates should win. Especially 66bigblocks. Kind of sad about the state of the American citizen.
A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.         Sigmund Freud

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2012, 08:55:06 PM »
I had the place to myself when I voted.  They said I was number 128 out of a possible 971... kinda dismal.   As I left another man was coming in.  This was shortly after 5 pm so hopefully, some voters were stopping by on their way home from work.

NE Bull, like you I was wondering what could be done to get a better turn out, but I don't thinking having to register will make much difference on getting them out to vote.  Now maybe if a person had to show proof they voted before being able to buy Husker tickets, fishing and hunting licenses, etc. they'd make the effort to vote.

Offline 66bigblock

• Lead Benefactor
  • When SHTF, which side of the Fan will you be on?
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2012, 09:23:21 PM »
From Nebraska Senator John Harms' website:

"First of all, we do not have a problem with voter fraud in Nebraska. Our Secretary of State monitors, very closely, any potential instances and has stated to us that it simply isn’t a problem here."

"voter impersonation, where someone actually shows up to a polling place and pretends to be someone else. This is not only the rarest form of voter fraud anywhere in the country, it is also highly unlikely to ever happen in most of Nebraska as most of our communities are small enough that the voter will be recognized by someone there"

Full link here:  http://news.legislature.ne.gov/dist48/

Not all of the voters in Nebraska live in towns of 100 or less people Mr. Harms.  I am pretty sure the odds of someone knowing that I wasnt who I thought I am is even lower than my precinct turnout of 11%...

I am also amazed that as the voting registrar is looking up my name on the list, I can easily look over the list and see all the names of other registered voters, their addresses, party affillation, spouse name and wether they have voted or not.

66bigblock
I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.  I carry a lot of ammo because I cant run very fast.

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2012, 10:45:55 PM »
I was kind of taken aback when the lady asked my name. - gave it to her- Address- check. Pulling registration card and ID from my wallet.  "I dont need that" What?  OK.

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2012, 09:40:58 AM »
Someone mentioned this somewhere on our forum -

Pull your kid out of school and take them with you to vote. Show them that it is a special occasion that deserves special attention. Show them how to select the best candidate and what attributes to look for.

Maybe we could pass a NE law that has students set up and manage the polling places - for civics.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 09:43:09 AM by NENick »

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2012, 11:38:52 AM »
i went in before work.  i called in and said i had to vote so i took my sweet time and came in a few minutes late (its ok on election day).  most of my coworkers said they would vote after work and judging by where i work, they all voted democratic.

finally, all i had to say was my name and they asked is this your address and i said yes.  it was simple, too simple.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2012, 06:02:31 PM »
I could see every name on the same page as me.  Right out in clear sight.  I could have gone to every polling place in Lincoln yesterday and voted under a name on that list, and never been caught.  Sure, we may not have a problem with it now, but why leave it open?  Just because I've never had my house robbed doesn't mean I leave my doors unlocked.

Nebraska's proposed voter ID law provided for free ID for anyone who requested it, so there was no way to say it prevented the poor from voting.  That only leaves one reason that people would oppose it.

Offline huskersforever

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2012, 06:55:08 PM »
Someone mentioned this somewhere on our forum -

Pull your kid out of school and take them with you to vote. Show them that it is a special occasion that deserves special attention. Show them how to select the best candidate and what attributes to look for.

Maybe we could pass a NE law that has students set up and manage the polling places - for civics.

Students actually do vote in school, at least in Lincoln, however it is all done online and does not happen paper pencil like the adults. They only do it during the presidential election

Offline NE Bull

• NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2012, 09:52:45 PM »
Students actually do vote in school, at least in Lincoln, however it is all done online and does not happen paper pencil like the adults. They only do it during the presidential election

You guys got me thinking about a Scouting outing come November.  Maybe I can hook up with a poling place in Elkhorn and have them help out in some way, even if it's handing out stickers and may free water or something.... hmmmm....

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2012, 06:36:44 PM »
The wife and I went together.  Slow day at the local polling place, but then again it was mid week, mid day, and not in a commercial area.  I expect that it got busier later in the day.  At least I hope so.

Being a registered independent kinda sucks at primary time, but you pick it up on the backside during the general. 

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX