< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: AR 15 Question  (Read 3178 times)

Offline Ram Ringer

• NFOA Full Member
AR 15 Question
« on: May 15, 2012, 05:10:39 PM »
I am looking at buying at an AR 15 and i think I found the one I want, mainly due to the price, It is from Scheels and they have the option of selling it with and with out a Reflex sight. The difference is only $50. I have never used a Reflex sight so my question is what would be better buying it with the Reflex or without and buying a Red Dot to put on it. I am looking for something within 100 yards or so. I already have a bolt gun for long Range.

Thanks

Galen
"The Most Important Political Office Is That Of The Private Citizen"  Louis Brandeis

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Re: AR 15 Question
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 06:23:38 PM »
What brand sight is it?  If they are saying it's worth $50, it's probably actually worth $25.

Depending on what brand of AR you're looking at, buying one off the web will more than likely be cheaper, even with shipping and a transfer fee.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Ram Ringer

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 06:32:24 PM »
The Rifle is a DPMS Oracle, I am not sure what brand the sight is, I will most likely replace it eventually but looking at it to get me started.
"The Most Important Political Office Is That Of The Private Citizen"  Louis Brandeis

Offline just_me_mongo

• Powder Benefactor
  • "Shall NOT be infringed"
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 06:39:01 PM »
Galen,

I would check out reviews on that Oracle before your purchase.  I also bought an AR-15 of a different brand- also due to price and loved it.  My issue was that the barrel heated up way too fast- one clip and it was scorching hot.  The gun performed extremely well other than that.

I recently switched to ordering a bull barrel complete upper half to avoid super hot temps like this.

Be careful- AR-15's are addicting!  LOL
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 06:52:13 PM by just_me_mongo »
"One of the ordinary modes by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance is by disarming the people and making it an offense to keep arms." - Joseph Story

Offline just_me_mongo

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 06:43:52 PM »
Oh yes, as for the reflex sight...I would prefer to buy a gun that is fully functional from the get go.  I am not versed well with the reflex sight.  I prefer the flip up type sights- they work great.  Check out the folding sights by Magpul.  Just my two cents.
"One of the ordinary modes by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance is by disarming the people and making it an offense to keep arms." - Joseph Story

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 07:14:16 PM »
Galen,

I would check out reviews on that Oracle before your purchase.  I also bought an AR-15 of a different brand- also due to price and loved it.  My issue was that the barrel heated up way too fast- one clip and it was scorching hot.  The gun performed extremely well other than that.

I recently switched to ordering a bull barrel complete upper half to avoid super hot temps like this.

Be careful- AR-15's are addicting!  LOL

Barrels that heat up fast also cool down fast...Bull barrels hold the heat and stay hot a long time. The real question is this, Does your barrel have a shift in point of impact when hot?

If your Bull barrel shifts when hot it stays that way for a long time, and besides it is too damn heavy to hump around all day.

I like a lightweight profile, and luckily mine all hold the point of impact quite well when hot, unless I get silly and do several mag dumps, maintaining a 1-2 moa zero during rapid fire
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline sparky0068

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 07:28:13 PM »
If it don't have iron's it's no good to me!  YMMV
KD0LKT

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 07:33:53 PM »
you could always build your own...  thats pretty fun.  and only a little money at a time, plus used parts are plentiful.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 07:35:34 PM »
My advice:  Skip the cheap reflex sight.  Use irons for now and save up for a good optic.  Vortex makes some very nice stuff for a very good price.

DPMS makes a decent gun, a lot of people like to look down on them but for 99.99% of shooters it's just fine.  Personally I think Palmetto State Armory is the best out there for the money.  I've put together a couple of their kits and handled some complete rifles and they're very good quality, for the same price as DPMS.

I personally wouldn't want a bull barrel AR for anything other than bench shooting or prairie dogs.  My 18" SPR barrel is a little on the heavy side but it's just right for me.  Still a lot lighter than a bull barrel, and it kills the dogs just fine.

Offline Ram Ringer

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 08:41:14 PM »
Thanks for the help, It will probably another week or two before I am ready to buy so I have a little time to think of my options. I am definently leaning towards this platform as I say it is due to the price. I will look over the sight before I purchase. I realize this reflex may be cheap, but I may go with it just to see which I like better the reflex or red dot. I already have a Red dot on another gun. Figure out what sight I want to eventually put on it. I am really just getting started in the AR world the only real experince I have is the with the one in my Avatar which was a Rock River Arms with STI Ind suppressor. It was also a Govt issue.

Once again thanks for the help.

Galen

Offline Eagle1

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 10:50:06 PM »
I recently purchased the same DPMS (w/o the sight) and I am happy with it. They say it is the highest selling AR on the market today. I have some cheap flip up iron sights and used a reflex on it this weekend (BSA I got cheap) and I like it better than the red dot I have.
Just a AR newbie's opinion.
USN 83-87, American Legion

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 08:09:55 AM »
Got my DPMS Sportical from budsgunshop.com last July/August for a little under $600. Check their site, they have the best prices on guns IMO especially since you don't pay tax or shipping. BTW I don't see how people can talk down about a DPMS, AR's are made to pretty much the same specs. Some come with more bells and whistles out of the factory resulting in a higher price. Buy a basic bare bones one and upgrade it to your specifications or just build your own, they are very simple.

EDIT:

Not sure what AR's are going for locally but Buds has a their cheapest DPMS at $679 now... Gone up significantly in the past 10 months. Get on it and invest in one now lol
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 08:13:32 AM by bradkoll »

Offline just_me_mongo

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 04:13:49 PM »
Barrels that heat up fast also cool down fast...Bull barrels hold the heat and stay hot a long time. The real question is this, Does your barrel have a shift in point of impact when hot?

If your Bull barrel shifts when hot it stays that way for a long time, and besides it is too damn heavy to hump around all day.

I like a lightweight profile, and luckily mine all hold the point of impact quite well when hot, unless I get silly and do several mag dumps, maintaining a 1-2 moa zero during rapid fire

Thus far, the bull actually stays cool.  I purchased it in 16" due to concern for weight.  I am very pleased with it.  I was actually looking at at a 24"- but that may have been too heavy. 

Offline Ram Ringer

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 10:37:16 AM »
I went ahead and purchased the DPMS with the reflex sight. So far I have only put maybe 30-40 rounds down range, with most of the that being single shots with cleaning in between to break in the barrel per manufactures recommendations. I am hoping to put a lot of rounds down range with it this weekend.
Thanks for the replies.

Galen

Offline just_me_mongo

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2012, 09:47:09 AM »
Galen,

Would you give us a full review on your new AR after you spend some time with it?  I am in the market for another here soon.

Thanks!

Offline Ram Ringer

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 11:19:11 PM »
Yeah that shouldn't be a problem. Took it out today and fired off some rounds, but didn't get a chance to really test it. Memorial Day Weekend in Central Kansas equals high winds which make it difficult to test loads. But so far I like the gun. I have measured them yet, but have gotten some pretty decent groups at 75 yards and I think they can be tightened up quite a bit. I haven't had any misfires or misfeeds yet. 
I will try to get out with it in the near future and then report back on how things go.

Thanks

Galen

Offline sparky0068

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2012, 09:47:40 AM »
My 1in9 twist DPMS loves 55gn FMJ BT over 26gn of win748, with cci primers.  It hates 68gn bullets.  YMMV
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 09:49:43 AM by sparky0068 »
KD0LKT