< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: (Deleted)  (Read 1376 times)

Offline HarperHurst

• Forum Member
(Deleted)
« on: May 17, 2012, 03:51:28 PM »
Deleted
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 09:42:25 PM by HarperHurst »

Offline whatsit

• Powder Benefactor
Re: Stop And Identify Laws with Open Carry.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 04:19:26 PM »
I'm not an LEO and I have not had very many run-ins with "the law." (fingers crossed)  :D So, this is just my opinion:

I would say that it is polite to give your name to a person you are conversing with. If you are approached by an LEO -- or anyone, for that matter -- above all, be polite.

I don't remember a law that says you have to show "your papers" to anyone just to walk around on the street. You will, of course, have to show proof that you are licensed to drive if you are driving.

Now, that said: If you are young looking, you may need to provide proof of your age. An officer might need to investigate the possibility that you are a minor in possession of a firearm. (Everyone else: am I way off base here?) This would be like providing proof of age to purchase alcohol or tobacco. So, I would suggest you have ID with you, yes.

The videos you see on YouTube about open carriers refusing to provide ID and "using the law against the police" -- that sort of thing is kind of silly. The police are people too -- they just want to do their job and make sure you're not a known criminal or in the act of a crime, etc. Just be polite. Proving a point may get you in more trouble than you want while you're walking the dog.

</Opinion>

Offline HarperHurst

• Forum Member
Re: Stop And Identify Laws with Open Carry.
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 06:04:42 PM »
Deleted
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 09:41:58 PM by HarperHurst »